why is the defense so bad now?

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not willing to claim Nelson is horrible yet.  He was going against an All American left tackle with a QB that was getting the ball out fast.  It will be interesting to see how he does throughout the season.

Qb getting the ball out fast and you want the db's to cover longer? /=

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, desertshox said:

Qb getting the ball out fast and you want the db's to cover longer? /=

Yeah, soft coverage has been a thing that Chinander wants. I don't know if it's just because he's married to that concept and can't/won't change or because they don't think we have the DB's to play tighter to their man.

But it's been a problem, and it was a big problem against Northwestern, IMO.

• Plus1 1
On 8/30/2022 at 7:07 AM, Farms said:

The good news is if NW had one strength it was their O-line, probably one of the best we will face this year and a pretty darn good RB behind them. I still think Chins got out coached last week but think we’ll bounce back and be ok. He’ll definitely have to make some adjustments or Minnesota and Wisconsin will absolutely abuse us.

Along with Oklahoma, Purdue and others. I’m not sure which game film he was watching…Must’ve grabbed ahold of the wrong one to review! I’m concerned.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure about the question.  If the DBs were pressing more it would take longer for the WR to get open...which would give the REs more time to get there.

The post I made my smart-a$$ remark to mentioned using press coverage. Chinander is the one who puts the db's 5-15 yards off the ball. They don't get to cover anyone when the qb gets the ball out quickly. They might be able to cover someone if they were allowed to.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Pretty much what I’ve been saying. How is Nelson or Mathis supposed to get sacks with this?

If you watch the QB, this is a pregame plan quick read most likely based on their knowledge of Heinrich quick bailing in pass coverage so the QB just reads which person the other backer is gonna take.   

• Plus1 2

It’s not a bad scheme. We’ve just had bad positional coaches on the front 7. Last year and prior, we had decent talent/gamers to help minimize bad coaching. This year, not so much.

in general though, this staff has always suffered from a very poor attention to detail on both sides of the ball and that’s why they’ve lost so much. 

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, Undone said:

Yeah, soft coverage has been a thing that Chinander wants. I don't know if it's just because he's married to that concept and can't/won't change or because they don't think we have the DB's to play tighter to their man.

But it's been a problem, and it was a big problem against Northwestern, IMO.

Yes our defense does what he wants.

DBs: "Play back, and Keep everything in front of you. Don't get beat down the field"

DLINE: "Gum it up, allow the linebackers to make a play"

NICk:  "Help out the linebackers and play coverage, like JoJo did when he was 24yrs old.."

EDGE ("DE"):  "Attaboy, just bull rush the 325lb tackle... don't worry about the run game"

Safeties:  "We got 1-2 safeties playing, for deep stuff that never happens.... Just play back 15 yards - even on 3rd and 1...because we have 2 linebackers to make the play"  

Big Ten teams:  "They have 2 linebackers... and 2 little edge guys.... and 2 Defensive Linemen....  lol.....  and their DBs and safeties give us so much cushion.... this is so easy to consume 4-5 minute drives and wear them down ALL GAME LONG, ...until we get to the redzone.........but, we can still try to punch it in from there"

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1