North Dakota Week Pressers

Mavric

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Could be.  But which are the dropped passes that people keep talking about?  Palmer had one right off the bat.  I honestly don't recall others.  

Leiwer had one go right off his hands into the  defenses hands.  Maybe that doesn't count because the DB caught it.  Washington had one he dove for and missed but I thought I remember another one where he just dropped it.  Grant had a drop.  wasn't a good pass but he got his hands on it. 

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Leiwer had one go right off his hands into the  defenses hands.  Maybe that doesn't count because the DB caught it.  Washington had one he dove for and missed but I thought I remember another one where he just dropped it.  Grant had a drop.  wasn't a good pass but he got his hands on it. 

I would probably count Leiwer's.  Doesn't matter what happens after it.

If you have to dive for it, it's not a drop.

And there were a couple that were behind guys (maybe Grant was one) but that's not a drop.  That's a "could have been caught."

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Toe said:

There were a couple in the 4th where Thompson hit them right in the hands but they still dropped it.

I know there were a couple where they got their hands on it.  But high and behind you while you're running the opposite direction is a pretty tough catch.  That's not a drop.  That's a "could have been caught."

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Chins said in his presser "Nick played good.  I didn't see him miss any tackles". Is there another Nick on defense I don't know about??

I have not seen it yet.  Just throwing it out there that "nickel" for the defense has been changed to "nick", just liked "DE/OLB" has been changed to "edge".

Kolavarec had a few good plays at nick, but did whiff on one play.  And I thought Isaac Gifford played very well at nick.

I could be wrong, but I know for certain he couldn't be referencing Nick Henrich. 

1 hour ago, admo said:

I have not seen it yet.  Just throwing it out there that "nickel" for the defense has been changed to "nick", just liked "DE/OLB" has been changed to "edge".

Kolavarec had a few good plays at nick, but did whiff on one play.  And I thought Isaac Gifford played very well at nick.

I could be wrong, but I know for certain he couldn't be referencing Nick Henrich. 

Good point, but the question was specifically around Henrich. I hadn't noticed, but I guess when he cam back in after missing a drive he had his hand wrapped and the reporter asked if that contributed to his tackling.

We seem to have incredibly generous criteria around missed tackles internally, and harsh ones around drops.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I would probably count Leiwer's.  Doesn't matter what happens after it.

If you have to dive for it, it's not a drop.

And there were a couple that were behind guys (maybe Grant was one) but that's not a drop.  That's a "could have been caught."

Palmer had what I would call 3 drops in the 1st half. 1st one was across the middle and took his eyes off it.  The 2nd was a deep ball and he had his hands the wrong way and the db broke it up.  And the 3rd another route across the middle that hit him right in his flat hands like he was breaking up his own pass. Last one around the 4:55 second mark before the half 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Palmer had what I would call 3 drops in the 1st half. 1st one was across the middle and took his eyes off it. 

This was the most obvious and the one I remember.

The 2nd was a deep ball and he had his hands the wrong way and the db broke it up. 

This was absolutely not a drop.  The DB was all over him and got an arm in there to help break it up.

Also, we never get the full route on this play but considering how much trouble they had staying with Palmer on this route all game, I'm doubtful the DB stuck with him for those 40 yards out of press coverage.  I think Palmer had him beaten but the ball was underthrown.

And the 3rd another route across the middle that hit him right in his flat hands like he was breaking up his own pass. Last one around the 4:55 second mark before the half 

I don't think this counts as a drop either.  But it's one that you'd like to see him come down with.  

He has to jump and reach just to get a hand on the ball.  Thompson is going to get these guys killed if he keeps throwing high over the middle.  Like Martinez tried to kill Wan'Dale a couple of years ago.

FWIW, Pro Football Focus did credit us with six drops on the game.  Two by Palmer and one each by Washington, Grant, Boerkircher and Liewer.

Yeah the first one by Palmer, he turned his head up field before the ball hit his hands. First drive of the game, within minutes.  I also agree with the 2nd one.... That was also catchable.  He did not go full speed on the deep crossing route, and the DB tugged his jersey.  Felt that was on him too.  

I don't recall if it was Trey (2nd quarter) that Casey threw the deep ball too down the seam....But the one instant replay clearly showed the DB hacking down the receiver's right arm. That would have been 6, but the very least PI.  Neither were awarded.

Boerkircher butterfingered a pass, but also broke up an INT.  We need better backup tight ends.

Oliver Martin alligatored a pass that turned into an interception.

I need to watch the game a 2nd time.  

Just now, admo said:

I also agree with the 2nd one.... That was also catchable.  He did not go full speed on the deep crossing route, and the DB tugged his jersey.  Felt that was on him too.  

Catchable does not equal dropped.

Are you talking about the second one @MyBloodIsRed16 listed?  You can never see the route to know if he was going full speed or not.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This was the most obvious and the one I remember.

This was absolutely not a drop.  The DB was all over him and got an arm in there to help break it up.

Also, we never get the full route on this play but considering how much trouble they had staying with Palmer on this route all game, I'm doubtful the DB stuck with him for those 40 yards out of press coverage.  I think Palmer had him beaten but the ball was underthrown.

I don't think this counts as a drop either.  But it's one that you'd like to see him come down with.  

He has to jump and reach just to get a hand on the ball.  Thompson is going to get these guys killed if he keeps throwing high over the middle.  Like Martinez tried to kill Wan'Dale a couple of years ago.

FWIW, Pro Football Focus did credit us with six drops on the game.  Two by Palmer and one each by Washington, Grant, Boerkircher and Liewer.

I'm definitely counting the second as a drop. Even tho he had to jump for it he jumped and had his hands like it was an over the shoulder throw instead of jumping more vertical and high pointing the ball.  If he high points it's it is most likely a catch.  The 3rd he didn't have to jump.  He reached out and his hands were literally both flat toward the ball like he was a mime pretending a wall was there 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Catchable does not equal dropped.

Are you talking about the second one @MyBloodIsRed16 listed?  You can never see the route to know if he was going full speed or not.

Yeah but, for all general purposes, we say "dropped" in football - meaning... "catchable, hit him in the hands, but failed to catch it".  :dunno 

In both College and NFL

I would not get too caught up on the exact verbiage "dropped".  It has Been described that way for 55 years!