SEC or BIG

Is the question which conference would I rather be in or which conference is better?

If its which one I'd rather be in- Big10 and its not even close.  We'd be such an outcast in the SEC and have even lower odds of competing consistently for a playoff spot.  An opportunity to rekindle some old rivalries would be fun but not at the expense of having to compete with all those historical programs and tougher recruiting battles

If its which one is better, its SEC and its not even close.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Is the question which conference would I rather be in or which conference is better?

If its which one I'd rather be in- Big10 and its not even close.  We'd be such an outcast in the SEC and have even lower odds of competing consistently for a playoff spot.  An opportunity to rekindle some old rivalries would be fun but not at the expense of having to compete with all those historical programs and tougher recruiting battles

If its which one is better, its SEC and its not even close.

I meant which conference would give us the better opportunity at relevance. The spotlight of the SEC plus having a brand that still carries weight I think the BIG was a safe move that handicaps us in some ways. Too many sleepy games against teams without a chance to be a contender and the recruiting landscape doesnt have the players to supplement more than 1-2 contenders 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, huskerfan702 said:

I meant which conference would give us the better opportunity at relevance. The spotlight of the SEC plus having a brand that still carries weight I think the BIG was a safe move that handicaps us in some ways. Too many sleepy games against teams without a chance to be a contender and the recruiting landscape doesnt have the players to supplement more than 1-2 contenders 

I think we are uniquely positioned to take advantage of the new recruiting landscape within our conference, moreso than most of our peers in the big10.  

The sleepy games is a fair point, the middle-bottom of the SEC much stronger than middle -bottom big10.  But if we just handle our business for once and make those sleepy games near auto wins we'll have plenty of chances in the national spotlight against notable brands ie osu, mich, usc, penn st

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
12 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

But if we just handle our business for once and make those sleepy games near auto wins we'll have plenty of chances in the national spotlight against notable brands ie osu, mich, usc, penn st

Of those teams listed OSU is the only team that’s proven to develop talent on a consistent basis. Some teams get a team that builds during a recruiting cycle but for the most part even the penn st’s and Wisconsin’s have some hollow success. I hope we figure it than to get lumped into that category 

1 minute ago, huskerfan702 said:

Of those teams listed OSU is the only team that’s proven to develop talent on a consistent basis. Some teams get a team that builds during a recruiting cycle but for the most part even the penn st’s and Wisconsin’s have some hollow success. I hope we figure it than to get lumped into that category 

I was more referencing your comment about gaining relevance and national spotlight.  Even If michigan and penn st havent consistently been at the top like ohio state, they're still national brands/playoff contenders who will draw a huge audience and wins against them would surely catapult us to playoffs if we take care of the lesser games.

• Fire 1

The Big Ten West is the perfect place for a team like Nebraska trying to rebuild national relevance. Teams become relevant by winning. We wouldn't ever win more than three games in the SEC, no matter which division. We can win this division with only a little bit of improvement and consistency. That puts us on the national stage of the conference championship game and the playoffs reasonably frequently. We would never do that in the SEC.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The Big Ten West is the perfect place for a team like Nebraska trying to rebuild national relevance. Teams become relevant by winning. We wouldn't ever win more than three games in the SEC, no matter which division. We can win this division with only a little bit of improvement and consistency. That puts us on the national stage of the conference championship game and the playoffs reasonably frequently. We would never do that in the SEC.

Yes but does that give us real relevance to sway the type of player we need to contend or at the level of an Iowa or Wisconsin with regional relevance 

3 hours ago, huskerfan702 said:

Yes but does that give us real relevance to sway the type of player we need to contend or at the level of an Iowa or Wisconsin with regional relevance 

We haven’t made a bowl in a long time.  Nebraska should drunk stumble into a bowl every year.  You’re a star chaser.  We need coaching and the players will come.

Im not sure if you’re new, but they are courting the #1 QB in the country right now.

4 hours ago, huskerfan702 said:

You say this as if Iowa or Wisconsin are vying for national relevance. They aren't. Their goal is to be regionally relevant.

It's not a difficult task to reach higher than that. Illinois under Bielema is going to prove that in the next couple of years.

Nebraska's best place is in the Big Ten. The SEC is irrelevant to us culturally, regionally, or aspirationally.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

We haven’t made a bowl in a long time.  Nebraska should drunk stumble into a bowl every year.  You’re a star chaser.  We need coaching and the players will come.

Im not sure if you’re new, but they are courting the #1 QB in the country right now.

What?! 

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You say this as if Iowa or Wisconsin are vying for national relevance. They aren't. Their goal is to be regionally relevant.

It's not a difficult task to reach higher than that. Illinois under Bielema is going to prove that in the next couple of years.

Nebraska's best place is in the Big Ten. The SEC is irrelevant to us culturally, regionally, or aspirationally.

Irrelevant culturally please explain. Regional ties are out the window in this modern world and the ties being in the SEC to play in historic recruiting areas would make more sense. Aspirationally?! It’s a proving ground for success and the highest level of week to week competition. Being the big fish compared to Purdue and Illinois ain’t the trophy I’m trying to win. Yes winning draws talent but if we are checking off boxes the SEC would’ve had more pros than cons compared to the BIG

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't buy your last sentence.  Big Ten academic appeal probably factors in but culturally Nebraska fits in very well with the SEC and the rabid fanbases of the schools.  I think Nebraska is closest to the people of Mississippi State.   Another ag and engineering school.  People are kind and salt of the earth as well as follow their team all over the country.  Random people yell out "Go State" or "Hail State" at the airport if you are wearing gear much like "Go Big Red".  I even saw a former Bulldogs player from 1980 stop and chat with a guy wearing MSU clothing in the airport terminal in Atlanta.  Omaha was Starkville/Starkvegas North in '21at CWS.  If Nebraska wants to spend more money to improve Haymarket Park to the baseball palace level of Dudy-Noble I would be all for that too.  

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1