2023/24 Outlook

22 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I'm cautiously optimistic that they will be better than last year.  I think they have a lot of pieces to be a good team.  The biggest question in my mind is how team chemistry will work out.  It certainly doesn't help that Tominaga & Mast won't be on the trip to Spain and may not be back on campus at the start of the school year depending on how well their national teams do.  They aren't going to be a Sweet 16 team, but they should at least be an NIT/bubble team.

I agree that if they aren't better this year Hoiberg will be gone.  I think the one thing he has going for him is that he changed some of his philosophy to fit the B1G instead of trying to make everyone adjust to him (unlike Frost), so as long as they show progress he will stick around.

Well he doesn't necessarily have drive to the rim point guard and doesn't have a low post dominant center that you need when shots aren't falling.  A team of so called shooters.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I'm cautiously optimistic that they will be better than last year.  I think they have a lot of pieces to be a good team.  The biggest question in my mind is how team chemistry will work out.  It certainly doesn't help that Tominaga & Mast won't be on the trip to Spain and may not be back on campus at the start of the school year depending on how well their national teams do.  They aren't going to be a Sweet 16 team, but they should at least be an NIT/bubble team.

I agree that if they aren't better this year Hoiberg will be gone.  I think the one thing he has going for him is that he changed some of his philosophy to fit the B1G instead of trying to make everyone adjust to him (unlike Frost), so as long as they show progress he will stick around.

I'd like to see them take another step but I just don't see it.  We lost probably our two best players and I'm not sure we got even equal talent to replace them.  Plus, I think we got some benefit from a somewhat-down B1G last year.

It seems to me like we're mainly just plugging holes.  We have a couple of good players but too many of them are only around for a year.  So we're not really building anything.  Just trying to keep the boat afloat.

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'd like to see them take another step but I just don't see it.  We lost probably our two best players and I'm not sure we got even equal talent to replace them.  Plus, I think we got some benefit from a somewhat-down B1G last year.

It seems to me like we're mainly just plugging holes.  We have a couple of good players but too many of them are only around for a year.  So we're not really building anything.  Just trying to keep the boat afloat.

The only seniors are Tominaga and Allick. Everyone else has 2 or more years. I actually think that is a good idea because we have constantly got guys that were grad transfers or only here for a year. This roster will have some continuity going into the next few years that sets Hoiberg up well. If he get can them to play together and build on the 2022-2023 season. 

Seniors- Tominaga and Allick

Juniors- Gary, Uhlis, Wilcher, Keita, Mast, B. Williams 

Sophomores- Lawrence

Freshman/Redshirt Freshman- Rice/ Lloyd 

Available Scholarships- 2 

12 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

The only seniors are Tominaga and Allick. Everyone else has 2 or more years. I actually think that is a good idea because we have constantly got guys that were grad transfers or only here for a year. This roster will have some continuity going into the next few years that sets Hoiberg up well. If he get can them to play together and build on the 2022-2023 season. 

Sophomores- Lawrence

I under the thinking behind that with trying to set you up for the future but Fred Hoiberg is coaching for his job this year not next so he should have brought in more playmakers.  I'm not thrilled by this roster at all.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Sophomores- Lawrence

That's fine.  Perhaps it will be different going forward.

But there's only .... what .... one guy on that list that really made a difference last year.  Maybe two?  We're having to replace everything else or hope guys all of the sudden get better.

And I'd speculate that the two best players on this team are the two seniors.  For sure two of the top three.  So we'll be replacing the difference-makers again.

30 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I under the thinking behind that with trying to set you up for the future but Fred Hoiberg is coaching for his job this year not next so he should have brought in more playmakers.  I'm not thrilled by this roster at all.

The thing is he brought in guys to be here longer than one year. It's not like we are relying on unproven freshmen to move the needle. I do hope Nebraska does bring in one more guy and then gives Sam H a scholarship. I am not sure who Nebraska is on right now. 

23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's fine.  Perhaps it will be different going forward.

But there's only .... what .... one guy on that list that really made a difference last year.  Maybe two?  We're having to replace everything else or hope guys all of the sudden get better.

And I'd speculate that the two best players on this team are the two seniors.  For sure two of the top three.  So we'll be replacing the difference-makers again.

Best players in my view

*Subject to change as we haven't seen some of these guys yet. 

1 Tominaga

2 Williams

3 Mast

All of those guys I am putting as starters. Those are the best three players on the roster right now. So Nebraska loses one of the top 3.

I can see Allick as a starter for sure. It all depends on what Hoiberg wants to do. I just don't consider him a top 3 guy. Juwan Gary, I would even put in front of him. However, if he is a top 3 guy I believe that means Nebraska is having success because he will be scoring close to double figures along with the 2-3 other guys I mentioned above. Time will tell. 

10 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

The thing is he brought in guys to be here longer than one year. It's not like we are relying on unproven freshmen to move the needle. I do hope Nebraska does bring in one more guy and then gives Sam H a scholarship. I am not sure who Nebraska is on right now. 

Best players in my view

*Subject to change as we haven't seen some of these guys yet. 

1 Tominaga

2 Williams

3 Mast

All of those guys I am putting as starters. Those are the best three players on the roster right now. So Nebraska loses one of the top 3.

I can see Allick as a starter for sure. It all depends on what Hoiberg wants to do. I just don't consider him a top 3 guy. Juwan Gary, I would even put in front of him. However, if he is a top 3 guy I believe that means Nebraska is having success because he will be scoring close to double figures along with the 2-3 other guys I mentioned above. Time will tell. 

Lawrence improved as the year went on, Lloyd is rumored to be very good & Keita played well when not hurt.  I think there is reason for optism.  We need to win to get better players. 

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'd agree that Tominaga may be the best player on the team, but I don't think Allick will start.  At this point I'd say the starters will be Ulis, Tominaga, Williams, Gary & Mast at the beginning of the season.  Lawrence will probably be the first guy off the bench with Wilcher, Lloyd Allick & Kieta in the rotation.  Hoiberg & Rice will get some minutes, but not many.

21 hours ago, Mavric said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you.  But, we really won't know the bolded until after this season.  Maybe one or two of the younger guys that didn't get much playing time last year or new transfers will have a good season.  I believe we have a roster of potential.  Hopefully, we have some guys that take that step and become difference makers.

40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe one or two of the younger guys that didn't get much playing time last year or new transfers will have a good season.  I believe we have a roster of potential.  Hopefully, we have some guys that take that step and become difference makers.

That's the hope.  

But that's been the hope for a few years and there hasn't been a whole lot of that.

• TBH 1

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's the hope.  

But that's been the hope for a few years and there hasn't been a whole lot of that.

True.  But, at the beginning of the year, I would not have predicted Tominaga would come on like he did half way through the season.  Hopefully, that happens to a few of the guys we aren't expecting it from right now.

Another one from last year was Sam late in the season.  Maybe he builds on that and is a difference maker for the entire season this year.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

True.  But, at the beginning of the year, I would not have predicted Tominaga would come on like he did half way through the season.  Hopefully, that happens to a few of the guys we aren't expecting it from right now.

Another one from last year was Sam late in the season.  Maybe he builds on that and is a difference maker for the entire season this year.

Tominaga would be one.  I'm not sure what other non-transfer (even though he is a transfer) we've had turn into a difference-maker.

Counting on walk-ons to turn into difference-makers not only seems improbable but also not a very good endorsement for our overall recruiting.

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Tominaga would be one.  I'm not sure what other non-transfer (even though he is a transfer) we've had turn into a difference-maker.

Counting on walk-ons to turn into difference-makers not only seems improbable but also not a very good endorsement for our overall recruiting.

Well, that's not what I'm saying.  Sam happens to be a walk-on.  But, I'm saying there are others on the roster who are scholarship guys that could have a breakout year. 

I'm thinking of guys like:

Keita - last year I saw a few flashes of what might be there, then he got injured and didn't really do much.  Maybe the injury really set him back and hopefully an off season has him headed in the right direction.  If he doesn't, hopefully Mast does.

Lloyd - I think it was him that we were hearing he was doing some really good things on the practice squad.

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, that's not what I'm saying.  Sam happens to be a walk-on.  But, I'm saying there are others on the roster who are scholarship guys that could have a breakout year. 

I'm thinking of guys like:

Keita - last year I saw a few flashes of what might be there, then he got injured and didn't really do much.  Maybe the injury really set him back and hopefully an off season has him headed in the right direction.  If he doesn't, hopefully Mast does.

Lloyd - I think it was him that we were hearing he was doing some really good things on the practice squad.

I mean ... you literally did say "maybe [Sam] builds on that and is a difference maker for the entire season this year".

As to the other guys, that's what I said in my first post.  We've been hoping for guys who've been here a year or two to have breakout years.  That really hasn't ever happened.  Perhaps it will this year but that would be bucking the trend.

• Plus1 1