tommy tuberville

I am I

He could do some good things there.

Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville will be named the next football coach at Texas Tech, a source close to the search told ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel.

A news conference is set for Sunday at 3 p.m. ET in Lubbock, Texas. Tuberville's family is flying to Lubbock Saturday night, according to the source.

Tuberville, 55, became a strong candidate when it was determined he would not insist on hiring his own staff, the source said. Tuberville also will not cost Tech a contract buyout.

Tuberville is expected to meet with Texas Tech staff before the news conference and then travel to Orlando, Fla., for the American Football Coaches Association convention, slated for Sunday-Wednesday.

Tuberville replaces Mike Leach, who was fired last month after 10 years as Tech's coach amid an investigation into his treatment of a player with a concussion.

Tuberville and Auburn parted ways in 2008 after his team went 5-7 in his 10th season at the school.

Big 12 blog

In 2004, Tuberville received national coach of the year awards after leading the Tigers to a 13-0 record.

Tuberville averaged 8.5 wins in his 10 seasons, taking Auburn to eight consecutive bowls.

Before going to Auburn, Tuberville coached at Mississippi and compiled a 25-20 record in four years after inheriting a program under serious NCAA scholarship sanctions.

He also spent a year as defensive coordinator at Texas A&M when the Aggies finished 10-0-1 and were among the nation's defensive leaders.

I just remember a ton of games of his at Auburn being like 11-6. Boring and bruising. But he certainly had success.

I am sure Tommy Tuberville is a fine coach but that has to be one of the most unexciting hires the Big 12 has had in recent memory. Probably a lot of unhappy TT fans out there before and after this hire and with everything that's happened.

Bo's leading the way, but the style and landscape of the Big 12 is changing. This could actually work out well for the Raiders going into the future, especially if McNeill stays to run and focus on the D. The life cycle of Leach's offense was going to come to its end at some point, or at least only ever be good for 3rd place. Tubs may not 'change' it, but it will never be the same...no ones mind works like Leach's.

Look at what scores of games were 2 years ago, compared to now. It would be neat to see a chart of league wide scoring between the two. Its nots just Nebraska keeping games lower scoring, implementing more focus on physical Defense. You could even see it in Tech's D this year. Used to be they HAD to score 45 points to win a game, because their D would give up 44. Not anymore.

This shocks me. This will initially be good for teams that play TT. The athletes they have now were recruited to run Leach's offense, not the style I rememberTuberville running. The players seemed to love McNeil, so I wonder if this will cause a few defections?

:dis First, Tommy Tuberville is one of the most boring coaches I've ever seen. I don't mean TO boring, I'm talking Agonizingly dull. Second, being a former SEC coach, he would be expecting quite a hefty starting salary. And third, and most importantly, Tuberville let a lot of good talent go to waste at Auburn (more talent then he'll have in Lubbock), with his lack of creativity in his last several years there.

So why would Tech, who IMO has a suitable HC in place in Ruffin McNiel, want to hire a guy who is a complete 180 from everything that the Raiders have been about for the last 10 years?

Personally I believe the TT coaching staff already in place has enough continuity, comfort in their system, and has built strong enough ties with HS coaches in TX, that they are the best option TT has to keep themselves moving forward rather than backwards. Which is the most likely scenario when you can an entire staff and replace them with a "name" coach who wasn't all that great at his last job.........Something us Husker fans should know a little something about. <_<

:dis First, Tommy Tuberville is one of the most boring coaches I've ever seen. I don't mean TO boring, I'm talking Agonizingly dull. Second, being a former SEC coach, he would be expecting quite a hefty starting salary. And third, and most importantly, Tuberville let a lot of good talent go to waste at Auburn (more talent then he'll have in Lubbock), with his lack of creativity in his last several years there.

So why would Tech, who IMO has a suitable HC in place in Ruffin McNiel, want to hire a guy who is a complete 180 from everything that the Raiders have been about for the last 10 years?

Personally I believe the TT coaching staff already in place has enough continuity, comfort in their system, and has built strong enough ties with HS coaches in TX, that they are the best option TT has to keep themselves moving forward rather than backwards. Which is the most likely scenario when you can an entire staff and replace them with a "name" coach who wasn't all that great at his last job.........Something us Husker fans should know a little something about. <_<

:yeah

Maybe it's because I live down here and am exposed to a lot more Auburn football, I have a lot of Auburn fans in my circle of friends & family, and I see nearly all of their games games, but I don't get the "boring" characterization. He's a defensive-minded coach and his offenses (which he leaves in the hands of his OCs) have generally been pretty hard-nosed teams that put up a lot of points on a lot of opponents. Sure, there are some defensive battles that end up 10-7 during his time at Auburn, but those are very much in the minority.

He had a fairly toxic relationship with Auburn's big money boosters after it was revealed that they were courting Bobby Petrino in '03 after he had a down season (8-5 with victories against arch-rival Alabama and in their bowl game). His team was undefeated the following year, but was denied an opportunity to compete for the BCS championship when USC & OU finished ahead of Auburn in the BCS results. He got a giant raise and contract extension following that, and became somewhat complacent over the next few seasons, in part because of the ongoing strained relations with the school. It didn't help that Nick Saban arrived at Alabama, and dominated Auburn in the recruiting wars down here. Tuberville brought in a new OC in 2008 to implement a spread offense, but it never really clicked and turned out disastrously. That was what resulted in him being fired, but that was because he gambled (heavily) on trying to bring an anything-but-boring offense to the Tigers.

He's apparently keeping much of the existing TT staff in place, won't be making major changes to the offensive philosophy, and will probably keep much of the defensive staff in place, too. I think this might turn out pretty well for TT - as long as Tubs doesn't get lazy with recruiting. I doubt that happens. I think the year off following his departure from Auburn has probably served to recharge his batteries, and I look for the guy to come out swinging.

Personally, I do not believe TT will be any good for quite a while, like never. TT is a tough place to find recruits.. it is in the middle of BFE. Leach brought a little flair to the place with his offense. Tubby will have a hard time if he runs his type of offense. They will finish in the bottom three in the south for a long time.