We've found something that Bill Callahan does better than Bo

tmfr15

The media descended on Bo Wednesday, questions in hand, ready to hear the news about Chase Rome. It was not going to be pretty.

Bo approached, talked about the WR with the ACL injury, then nervously broached the topic of the day. He talked about Rome's situation, then, almost in a threatening way, admonished the collected media in telling them not to question he or his assistants. The Rome discussion was over. A follow up question yielded the response, "I think I just told you."

Remember how Bill handled adversity?

When asked about having TO at practices, Bo casually talked about how he isn't affected by the presence of TO and that he had coached in front of... and gave a list of NFL coaches and luminaries.

Bill also said, off the cuff, that he had done "an excellent job in every area."

If Bill could coach winning football like he dealt with negativity, he would have been a great success here.

If Bo could deal with negativity at the same level he coaches, there would be a far different preception of the man.

What? Better at handling the media? Granted, Bo is not a silver tongued orator. But at least he lets the media in the room. Wasn't there some big controversy in 2006/2007 due to BC limiting the media's access? He would make them wait for twenty minutes or so before unlocking the door so they could come in. (Which I thought was sort of humorous at the time. lol)

To be fair, I'd say Callahan and Pelini both suck at handling the media. But at least Bo seems to be improving.

You can see Bo's poor handling of adversity reflected in his football teams. When the sh#t hits the fan, we seem to fall apart a bit.

I can tell you something else BC did better than Bo so far. He recruited better, and he got his talent on the field a lot quicker. I hate saying positive things about BC, but we did get some pretty talented players at this University while he was the HC.

What? Better at handling the media? Granted, Bo is not a silver tongued orator. But at least he lets the media in the room. Wasn't there some big controversy in 2006/2007 due to BC limiting the media's access? He would make them wait for twenty minutes or so before unlocking the door so they could come in. (Which I thought was sort of humorous at the time. lol)

To be fair, I'd say Callahan and Pelini both suck at handling the media. But at least Bo seems to be improving.

Neither seem to be overly good with people in general --- both have X's & O's strengths (in different areas) and neither are particularly effective as head coaches (one could argue as to which one is worse... but there is no value in that --- FWIW, without arguing, overall Bo is a step up as a HC from Callahan... but that is not a high standard to eclipse). Many here will rebuff this but really, these two --- Callahan and Bo --- while wildly different in many ways, do have similarities as well. Neither in their time here at NU have accomplished what they were hired to do --- Bo is not yet done, so --- theoretically anyway --- the success may still come. But so far... it (success) has eluded Bo and the trends suggest that the elusive success that he was hired to facilitate is still... eluding him.

I thought Bo would be more well-known for locking the media out.

No one will argue that Bill didn't say things that were inflamatory. Most Husker fans said :wtf after Bill's pressers. But the point is that he didn't let stuff get to him. He didn't get so worked up.

Bo can't. He walks around with that look on his face that he is going to end your exsistence here on this planet if you mention X subject.

It is early, and, it has been pointed out on this board that we just lost one game, and just by six points.

If the losses and negativity mount from here though, I am not sure Bo will be able to handle it. He might go Woody Hayes on Steven M. Sipple or, at the very least, make a arse out of himself on multiple occasions with ill-timed out bursts.