We've found something that Bill Callahan does better than Bo

tmfr15

No one will argue that Bill didn't say things that were inflamatory. Most Husker fans said :wtf after Bill's pressers. But the point is that he didn't let stuff get to him. He didn't get so worked up.

Bo can't. He walks around with that look on his face that he is going to end your exsistence here on this planet if you mention X subject.

It is early, and, it has been pointed out on this board that we just lost one game, and just by six points.

If the losses and negativity mount from here though, I am not sure Bo will be able to handle it. He might go Woody Hayes on Steven M. Sipple or, at the very least, make a arse out of himself on multiple occasions with ill-timed out bursts.

I think that's a fair concern to raise. Bo has always put himself at odds - unnecessarily, at times - with various parties. Fans, the media, Biff the bloggers. He would do much better for himself by recognizing that it's just something that comes with the territory, and that it only affects you as much as you let it. Media spotlight won't go away, anywhere you are.

No one will argue that Bill didn't say things that were inflamatory. Most Husker fans said :wtf after Bill's pressers. But the point is that he didn't let stuff get to him. He didn't get so worked up.

Bo can't. He walks around with that look on his face that he is going to end your exsistence here on this planet if you mention X subject.

It is early, and, it has been pointed out on this board that we just lost one game, and just by six points.

If the losses and negativity mount from here though, I am not sure Bo will be able to handle it. He might go Woody Hayes on Steven M. Sipple or, at the very least, make a arse out of himself on multiple occasions with ill-timed out bursts.

I think that's a fair concern to raise. Bo has always put himself at odds - unnecessarily, at times - with various parties. Fans, the media, Biff the bloggers. He would do much better for himself by recognizing that it's just something that comes with the territory, and that it only affects you as much as you let it. Media spotlight won't go away, anywhere you are.

All true. But I think Bo has been improving. Starting with his l low point after the aTm debacle in 2010. IIRC, Bo got called on the carpet for his outbursts following that game. And he seems to be doing better since then. Sure, Pelini is still confrontational by nature. But it seems like he is making a conscious effort to avoid getting completely out of control like he did in the past.

As for his relations with the media, Bo seems to be highly secretive. No depth chart until the eve of the first game. He seldom gives the real story about the extent of injuries. I don't necessarily think his secretive nature is a bad thing though. Even though I am always curious about these things that affect the team. Just my thoughts.

All true. But I think Bo has been improving. Starting with his l low point after the aTm debacle in 2010. IIRC, Bo got called on the carpet for his outbursts following that game. And he seems to be doing better since then. Sure, Pelini is still confrontational by nature. But it seems like he is making a conscious effort to avoid getting completely out of control like he did in the past.

As for his relations with the media, Bo seems to be highly secretive. No depth chart until the eve of the first game. He seldom gives the real story about the extent of injuries. I don't necessarily think his secretive nature is a bad thing though. Even though I am always curious about these things that affect the team. Just my thoughts.

True, but notice how it's all been in the crapper since. what are we, since that game and including? 11-6. Maybe we need the old Bo back and enough of this "matured" Bo that we keep hearing about. Maybe it's making it harder for him to do things the way he needs to do'em when he can't be himself. I know it would me. I am who I am and I wont act different for nobody, period. I think we had that with him and he was obviously comfortable with, but it ruffled too many of the wrong feathers. I know perception is a big part of the world but am just bothered by that. Which is probably why I'll never have more than I do now, cuz I aint changin for anybody, but I can guarantee I'll be 10 times happier that way.

who cares - least of Bo's worries. when he rights the ship again then we can worry about his handling of the media. right now a sideline tirade of A&M proportions, 3 broken cameras and assaulting Dirk wouldn't even make Bo's top-5 problems.

What evidence do we have that he will "right the ship again"? I see little.

Like you say --- he has many other problems to contend with . What IS his biggest problem --- an undisciplined, under-performing, out-hustled, out-physicalled, out-hearted team week in and week out --- a staff that is out-coached week in and week out and seemingly cannot teach their QB proper mechanics (when an outsider did), cannot teach tackling skills, cannot teach basic block-shedding technique to LBer's, etc. and cannot motivate the players to play with passion.

Yep. He has his hands full.

As we are comparing, in a sense, Bo to Callahan... remember that before Cally came to NU his team in Oakland had a mutiny against him (must have looked good an the resume as NU hired him anyway). I hope that the recent defections from the team now are not indicators that NU is hedging in that direction.

Bill Callahan was far more media savvy than Bo Pelini

Very True. And, that is exhibit number 1 why everyone should be a lot less concerned with how Bo deals with the media. Any comparisons, favorable or unfavorable, to Clownahan should not be made unless the person is willing to try that again. I am sick and tired of hearing about how great of a recruiter BC was (or any of the other insignificant facets of what he may have been good at). If it isn't realized as a better or even acceptable product on the field, who cares how "good" he may have been at anything? It's like saying I'm really good at mountain climbing even though I can't find the trailhead parking lot and never actually climbed a mountain.

• Fire 1

Bleacherreport usually is not overly insightful and often is flat out useless. Some will argue this to be the case for the linked article as well. But... the linked article has many reasonable points associated with it. I wish that were not the case... but the author of the article does provides some solid assessment and reasonable interpretations.

if you spill water on a desk, is the desk wet or is the water on the desk wet?

If the human body is 70% water and a watermelon is 92% water, do I become 162% water if I eat a watermelon?

Does the desk have a watermelon on it?

The media descended on Bo Wednesday, questions in hand, ready to hear the news about Chase Rome. It was not going to be pretty.

Bo approached, talked about the WR with the ACL injury, then nervously broached the topic of the day. He talked about Rome's situation, then, almost in a threatening way, admonished the collected media in telling them not to question he or his assistants. The Rome discussion was over. A follow up question yielded the response, "I think I just told you."

Remember how Bill handled adversity?

When asked about having TO at practices, Bo casually talked about how he isn't affected by the presence of TO and that he had coached in front of... and gave a list of NFL coaches and luminaries.

Bill also said, off the cuff, that he had done "an excellent job in every area."

If Bill could coach winning football like he dealt with negativity, he would have been a great success here.

If Bo could deal with negativity at the same level he coaches, there would be a far different preception of the man.

Wow....lol this f'ing hilarious. Are you kidding me!? Threatening!? lol hahha. How much hate do you have for Bo!? He handled the situation in an appropriate manner. Who's business is it to know about player personal issues!? HUH!? You tell me? Bo handled the situation like A BOSS! Plain and simple. I think any coaches temp would raise if the media kept probing questions about a personal incident, he put the lock on the subject before the media had a chance to walk through it with all their questions.Through all the husker meltdowns on this thread this past week, sadly this takes the damn cake and it doesn't even involve the loss to UCLA! Sorry man....this post pissed me off a bit, no offense to you though.