Mavric

***2019 Recruiting***

Just now, HS_Coach_C said:

It's hard to say what our official count is as there were several who took unofficial visits.  One site I looked at had us at 54, one had us at 57.  Each academic year they are allowed 56, but if they didn't use all of them in one year, then up to 6 extra can be used the following academic year.  Riley used 49 last year, so we should have 62 available for this year.  The trick is knowing how many they've actually used.  There could be around 8 official visits left for the spring game, but only someone in NU's athletic dept. could really answer this for sure.

Agree with it being tough to know for sure.  247 shows we've used 54HOL shows 57.  Not sure where the discrepancy is or why even HOL - who are reporting two left - doesn't agree with the number.

You guys need some time off? Nah, me neither.

Who is our next 19 Commit? What’s the magic # look like for this class as of now?

GBR

I've got to think we go after a JUCO DT, JUCO OT, and maybe a JUCO CB for next class.  Obviously they haven't even gotten to spring ball, but from just looking at the roster right now, these look like areas that the team might need immediate impact players next year.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a grad transfer or two either.

I have no doubt this staff will line up tons of offensive skill players.  I want to see what they can do in the trenches with a full recruiting cycle.

On 2/5/2018 at 8:27 AM, Mavric said:

Agree with it being tough to know for sure.  247 shows we've used 54HOL shows 57.  Not sure where the discrepancy is or why even HOL - who are reporting two left - doesn't agree with the number.

Frost said during his presser that there were 2 OV's left (was guessing) in case they needed them later.  I would assume for a transfer possibility.

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I've got to think we go after a JUCO DT, JUCO OT, and maybe a JUCO CB for next class.  Obviously they haven't even gotten to spring ball, but from just looking at the roster right now, these look like areas that the team might need immediate impact players next year.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a grad transfer or two either.

I have no doubt this staff will line up tons of offensive skill players.  I want to see what they can do in the trenches with a full recruiting cycle.

I think we have an underrated DL going into next year. Diaco just didn't have a damn clue and we never worked on individual drills. I think we will see a shake up in how this staff evaluates who is a NT/DE/OLB. 2 more years of the Davis twins, Stolt/Freedom back for one more year, D. Thomas only a true soph, and D. Daniels a rFR. Neal also a guy with size - just needs a little more mass and coaching 

8 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I think we have an underrated DL going into next year. Diaco just didn't have a damn clue and we never worked on individual drills. I think we will see a shake up in how this staff evaluates who is a NT/DE/OLB. 2 more years of the Davis twins, Stolt/Freedom back for one more year, D. Thomas only a true soph, and D. Daniels a rFR. Neal also a guy with size - just needs a little more mass and coaching 

I agree they are very solid, I just think they might want someone to help with depth at NT after Stolt leaves next year.  Not saying many of the other guys can't play that position with how this staff sees it - I'm just guessing.  I think Damion Daniels will be good, D. Thomas already flashed his potential, and obviously the Davis twins can be studs.

FYI: Nebraska currently has 88 scholarships accounted for, meaning we will see a minimum of 3 more transfers/medical scholarships before fall camp.

As of now, there will be 16 seniors on scholarship this season, meaning we can sign a class of 19 (16 +3 oversign) next year.  With a year to go, I fully expect to have the 2019 class be similar in size to this 2018 class due to attrition.

What is our position breakdown here, Mav? Don't be slacking. 

Joking. But without digging into numbers likely CB and Oline heavy. Probably 1-2 DT's. 

Edited by Warrior10

5 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Joking. But without digging into numbers likely CB and Oline heavy. Probably 1-2 DT's. 

Yeah, I'm working on cleaning up the 2018 class.  But I'm interested to start putting together the list for the next class.  Hopefully get to that soon.

51 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Agree. Few DB, DT. Heavy Oline. QB. Then 1 or 2 from each position group. Be choosy and go after some high end guys IMO 

Extremely preliminary here but it's a starting point.  16 seniors this year plus over-sign by 3 would be 19.  I'm going to use a nice, round 20 - we have to get down 3 spots from where we are currently before fall camp so it might be 22-23 by a year from now.

Priority:

QB - Frost says one every year but it might be two this year - I expect either POB or Gebbia to leave

OT - A continued trouble spot  but we'll see what the new guys can do

DT - Need to re-stock

CB - We'll have to see how the 2018 guys slot in but we don't have a lot of young ones

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1-2 - Max Duggan, Isaiah Williams
RB - 1-2 - 
WR - 3-4 - Kyren Williams, Marcus Washington, Cameron Coleman
TE - 1 - Chris Hickman
OT - 2-3 - 
OG/C - 1-2 - 

NT - 1-2 - 
DE - 2 - Marcus Hicks, Ty Robinson
LB - 3 - GARRETT NELSON, Nick Henrich, Owen Pappoe
CB - 2-3 - 
S - 1-2 - Jalani Williams

ATH - GARRETT SNODGRASS

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Extremely preliminary here but it's a starting point.  16 seniors this year plus over-sign by 3 would be 19.  I'm going to use a nice, round 20 - we have to get down 3 spots from where we are currently before fall camp so it might be 22-23 by a year from now.

Priority:

QB - Frost says one every year but it might be two this year - I expect either POB or Gebbia to leave

OT - A continued trouble spot  but we'll see what the new guys can do

DT - Need to re-stock

CB - We'll have to see how the 2018 guys slot in but we don't have a lot of young ones

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1-2 - Max Duggan, Isaiah Williams
RB - 1-2 - 
WR - 3-4 - Kyren Williams, Marcus Washington, Cameron Coleman
TE - 1 - Chris Hickman
OT - 2-3 - 
OG/C - 1-2 - 

NT - 1-2 - 
DE - 2 - Marcus Hicks
LB - 3 - GARRETT NELSON, Nick Henrich
CB - 2-3 - 
S - 1-2 - Jalani Williams

ATH - GARRETT SNODGRASS

Longsnapper?

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

I hope the staff offers Chester Graves. I wanted him out of HS, and he is now at IWCC. Led the team in TFL and Sacks last year. 

I remember him, it showed a little interest but it was pretty obvious he wasn't qualifying.

19 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I see this staff filling that with a walk-on or two.

Yup picked up a PWO this week.

2 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

I remember him, it showed a little interest but it was pretty obvious he wasn't qualifying.

Yup picked up a PWO this week.

We actually picked up 2, I was being sarcastic.  :sarcasm

Rivals shows four "Garrett"s rated for the 2019 class.

They all have Nebraska offers - and two are committed.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Rivals shows four "Garrett"s rated for the 2019 class.

They all have Nebraska offers - and two are committed.

I want them all. Hopefully in a few years we can have everyone on our team named Cam or Garrett. 

On 2/7/2018 at 11:13 PM, Mavric said:

Highly probable that most of the 4 scholarships athletes that won't be on scholarship for the start of fall camp are seniors, so it would decrease that starting 16 number.

Edit:  Also, add in the fact that Moses Bryant and Vedral are probably going to be on scholarship in 2019, the '19 recruiting class appears to be getting smaller and smaller.

Edited by yort2000

36 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

Highly probable that most of the 4 scholarships athletes that won't be on scholarship for the start of fall camp are seniors, so it would decrease that starting 16 number.

Edit:  Also, add in the fact that Moses Bryant and Vedral are probably going to be on scholarship in 2019, the '19 recruiting class appears to be getting smaller and smaller.

I still think we end up with 20ish. Frost isn't going to let dead weight sit on our roster. 

47 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I still think we end up with 20ish. Frost isn't going to let dead weight sit on our roster. 

There are a few 4th year juniors that will have prove their mettle this upcoming season.

Plus we don't know what other attrition we will have. You can bank on between obrien and gebbia- whoever is 3rd string after the spring depth chart is leaving. Plus other old staff kids that fall behind freshman recruits may bolt as well 

9 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Plus we don't know what other attrition we will have. You can bank on between obrien and gebbia- whoever is 3rd string after the spring depth chart is leaving. Plus other old staff kids that fall behind freshman recruits may bolt as well 

Idk man. I'm pretty sure Gebbia and POB are both really smart guys. If POB is 3rd string, he might stick out the year and be able to Grad Transfer after the 2019 spring semester and have 2 years to play still without having to sit out a year.

55 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Idk man. I'm pretty sure Gebbia and POB are both really smart guys. If POB is 3rd string, he might stick out the year and be able to Grad Transfer after the 2019 spring semester and have 2 years to play still without having to sit out a year.

Or POB realizes if he is 3rd string he won't see a down all year so why not transfer- sit out a year and still have 2 years to play. At least in that scenario he spends the next year learning the offense he will actually run and be more prepared to play when he is eligible. 

Really whats the difference between sitting out a year vs being eligible but still not playing at Nebraska 

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Or POB realizes if he is 3rd string he won't see a down all year so why not transfer- sit out a year and still have 2 years to play. At least in that scenario he spends the next year learning the offense he will actually run and be more prepared to play when he is eligible. 

Really whats the difference between sitting out a year vs being eligible but still not playing at Nebraska 

Perhaps he really likes it at nebraska?

3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Perhaps he really likes it at nebraska?

It's possible I just think if 2 freshman are ahead of him. IMO he is gonna want to play- not be a backup forever. 

15 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Masry too, I would think.  Quality reporting there. 

Article is about class of ‘19. Masry will be class of ‘20. Accurate reporting there. 

1 hour ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

Article is about class of ‘19. Masry will be class of ‘20. Accurate reporting there. 

If he qualifies he will be class of 19 if he wants. 

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

If he qualifies he will be class of 19 if he wants. 

Thank you.

3 hours ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

You do not have to stay two years at a JUCO.  A lot of kids do because of academics or to get noticed/physically ready. If he qualifies he will be one and done because he is already wanted by D1 schools.

Edited by runningblind

Yes, if he qualifies. If not, he's class of '20.  We don't know which class Masry will be in, but as of now he's not a qualifier, so I went with '20.

My comment was snarky to the poster making a snarky comment to a factual report. I agree with Cavanaugh, that there are three DL prospects from Iowa Western to "keep an eye on." Both staffs offered Masry. I'm sure its a given that they'll keep an eye on him too.

So.....has there been any talk about who is planning on being here for the spring game?

looks like it’s going to be an even better opportunity for recruiting this year. 

Will be interesting to see where Wiscy ends up.

It’s early, oh so early. But Wisconsin’s 2019 recruiting class could be historic.

Never mind that the Badgers rank third nationally in the 2019 rankings. That’s a number that won’t hold. Instead, focus on who Wisconsin already has committed and the history the group is poised to make.

Since 2002, Wisconsin has never singed more than a quartet of four-star prospects. Thus far in 2019, the Badgers already have four four-star prospects committed. Consider, too, that in that time period Wisconsin’s never had a class finish better than 30th overall. Right now, the Badgers are on pace to potentially ink their first top 25 class in program history.

“Coming off a big season definitely helps,” four-star tight end and Wisconsin commit Hayden Rucci told 247Sports. “Coach Chryst and company are doing a hell of a job recruiting. I know a big part of my decision was the recruits that were already committed. We have a great group of guys right now, and we’re looking to add some more.”

Rucci, a Pennsylvania native, committed to Wisconsin last week. Before he pulled the trigger, the Badgers already held pledges from four-star QB Graham Mertz (Kansas), four-star offensive tackle Joe Tippmann (Indiana) and Brown, who hails from Minnesota. That’s not to sell Wisconsin’s other commits short; all four are them are fringe four-star prospects in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, and safety Bryson Shaw (Maryland) and athlete Nolan Groulx (North Carolina) are rated as four-star prospects by 247Sports. Offensive tackle Logan Brown, the nation’s No. 41 overall recruit in the 247Sports Composite, would be the second-highest ranked prospect the Badgers have ever signed.

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If Taggart improves by 13 spots he will have the best recruiting class of all time at -2

That's if Taggart is still at the same school next year... chuckleshuffle

16 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

Anyone know who this is about?

Ty Robinson