B1G Coordinator of Officials on Rules Changes

Carollo admitted that he disagreed with the decision to eject Nate Gerry from Nebraska's Foster Farms Bowl back in December. That hit, ruled targeting on the field and confirmed by replay, was included on the national training tapes, Carollo said.

OWH

Wish they would have asked him about the Iowa game as well.

» Ineligible man downfield. Offensive linemen aren't allowed to advance three yards beyond the line of scrimmage on passing plays. That will be strictly enforced this season, Carollo said.

» A couple other notable rule changes: A ball carrier becomes defenseless when he slides and a ball carrier cannot be tripped.
» Big Ten coaches are encouraged to submit a set of plays each week for the league to review. Carollo says he ends up agreeing with the staffs' complaints about 60 percent of the time. He actually tries to bring in a coach or two during the offseason to meet with officials and share the common techniques utilized by players in given situations. How offensive linemen are taught to block. How cornerbacks are taught to play with physicality. How offenses are taught to run their hurry-up attack. The goal is to create some sort of uniformity with how games are called.
» Pass interference. Officials tend to allow hand-fighting between a receiver and a defensive back. Said Carollo: “But if you get into the body and start pushing them? Probably a foul. If you grab them? Probably a foul.”
» Holding at the line of scrimmage is the most common no-call for officials at the line of scrimmage, Carollo said. Which makes sense. You could throw a holding flag on nearly every play. About five years ago, Carollo noticed that the amount of holding calls in the Big Ten were lower than the national average. He polled the coaches. They were comfortable with that, at the time. The rate has gravitated closer to the national mean since, though. “We're almost right on the number,” Carollo said.

» Ineligible man downfield. Offensive linemen aren't allowed to advance three yards beyond the line of scrimmage on passing plays. That will be strictly enforced this season, Carollo said.

I thought they said the same thing last year.
» A couple other notable rule changes: A ball carrier becomes defenseless when he slides and a ball carrier cannot be tripped.

Please define "tripped".

Heres what has potential to really suck. The booth now is going to be stopping the game on their own to watch hits in slow mo. Then the booth is going to issue a targeting ejection. It seems to me that at least 20% of all hits involve the head in some manner. This thing is going to get ridiculous. To me if it didnt look bad to the guys on the field, then it must not have been that bad.

To me the rules committee went the wrong way with this one. They should have been encouraging restriction of targeting ejections not enabling more ridiculousness.

Another pile of dung currently is this " process of the catch" business. Give the officials the simple and profound responsibility of ruling yea or nay. Its their job. This reliance on replay has resulted in the worst officiating of my lifetime. It is terrible. It also creates a horrible viewing experience and takes away from the purity of the game.

Lastly is the issue of the double standard it creates. If a running back lunges into the endzone going airborne across the goal line holding the ball out with two hands, hits the ball on the turf as he lands and loses it out of bounds it is touchdown. If a receiver receives the ball immediately in front of the goal, is holding it in both hands and does the same thing as the aforementioned running back it is NOT a reception or touchdown. Bizarro world.

• Fire 1

Still say if targeting is called during the game assess the 15 yd penalty, but that any suspensions should handed out for the next game after review by one committee to maintain consistent enforcement. Like a previous poster said many hits do involve some helmet contact. Safety is a concern, But so is unjustly effecting the outcome of a game if you eject a key player.

• Fire 2

Safety is a concern, But so is unjustly effecting the outcome of a game if you eject a key player.

Safety is more of a concern.

I agree. Any one guilty of targeting should be ejected. Maybe even make it progressive - 1st offense, suspended one half, 2nd offense, suspended one game, etc. Players should not launch themselves at the opponents heads. But the officials have proven over and over again they can't get the call correct consistently, missing obvious targeting and calling imaginary targeting.

• Fire 1

"Holding - where you can cheat and only get caught a fraction of the time because oh well everybody does it." - NCAA

You wouldn't like the game of football very much if they called holding to the rulebook every time.

Holding is one of the few penalties we all know is happening yet we're a little 'aw shucks' about. It's nothing new, but an interesting dynamic nonetheless. We don't say the same thing with pass interference, face mask or defensive holding, probably because they're more obvious.

Unless the stats have changed, offensive holding is the second most commonly called penalty. I'm just pointing out how I find the narrative surrounding it interesting.