Turner Gill suspended for a game

NUance

5122a800e9b69.image.jpg

Liberty University football coach Turner Gill to serve one-game suspension

By Damien Sordelett Oct 21, 2016

Liberty football coach Turner Gill and assistant Ron Brown will each serve one-game suspensions after self-reporting a violation of NCAA rules. The suspensions stem from Brown, the associate head coach and wide receivers coach, offering a scholarship to a prospective student-athlete through text message before August 1. “Coach Brown texted an offer before August 1, not knowing that a text was considered the same as a written offer,” Gill said in a written release. “After learning of this, he approached me with this information.” LINK
With all the crooked, underhanded stuff that goes on in big time recruiting it's kinda shocking that this minor infraction would draw a one game suspension for the head coachespecially considering Gill didn't have anything to do with the infraction. :hmmph
  • Fire 4

Well, they self reported the violation. maybe the suspension is self imposed.

Yeah, that would make sense—especially since they they're not serving the suspensions at the same time. Also, it doesn't say ncaa imposed.

Gill is one of the last guys I would suspect of knowingly breaking the rules.

That's the point, I don't think he knowingly broke the rules. He didn't realize a text offer, was the same as a written offer.

“Coach Brown texted an offer before August 1, not knowing that a text was considered the same as a written offer,” Gill said in a written release. “After learning of this, he approached me with this information.”

It was an assistant who made the mistake, not Gill.

The crap that Bama pulls with their analysts is so ridiculous it is sickening. I agree AF, the rule bending that goes on in the SEC is way too far overboard. An honest mistake, self reported. Just goes to show, who ever brings the dollars in gets a better seat at the table.