Trump's America

zoogs

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

surprised Fox put this out. 

I don't know much about the context of those numbers but wouldn't 2017 still be something we should, if we're intellectually honest, attribute to Obama's administration? I mean, if we're going to give him a pass for what the Bush admin's effects on his first few years were.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Landlord said:

I don't know much about the context of those numbers but wouldn't 2017 still be something we should, if we're intellectually honest, attribute to Obama's administration? I mean, if we're going to give him a pass for what the Bush admin's effects on his first few years were.

If we are honest....yes. 

But, this President has bragged all year how we are creating so many jobs and it’s sll because he is so great. 

Then, his propaganda machine puts out this showing it was the worst job creation since 2010. 

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If we are honest....yes. 

But, this President has bragged all year how we are creating so many jobs and it’s sll because he is so great. 

Then, his propaganda machine puts out this showing it was the worst job creation since 2010. 

Exactly. If Trump takes credit for every little good thing happening in 2017, he should also take the blame.

I don't remember Obama spending his time in 2008 bragging about every dumb good thing that happened and claiming it was due solely to his efforts, so in turn he didn't deserve blame either.

• Plus1 1

I mean if we want to criticize Trump for hypocrisy or lack of internal consistency, let's go ahead and let him have it. 

But let's not actually stoop to the level of, "Ha, see Trump is bad because his first year hasn't had good jobs." Not that anybody has actually made that argument. But it's an attractive 'gotcha' for anyone who is horrified that he's in the white house.

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

I mean if we want to criticize Trump for hypocrisy or lack of internal consistency, let's go ahead and let him have it. 

But let's not actually stoop to the level of, "Ha, see Trump is bad because his first year hasn't had good jobs." Not that anybody has actually made that argument. But it's an attractive 'gotcha' for anyone who is horrified that he's in the white house.

I am all for pointing out hypocracy by politicians. 

54 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I think it's important to remember president's only have so much control over the domestic job market no matter what they do. Traditional economics takes the view that there's only so much a president can do to affect jobs numbers. Obviously they can only directly influence government hiring depending on how much money they dump into (or cut from) government agency payrolls (or the military).

That said, we're due for another recession at some point. If you believe the economy operates in cycles.... most of the world is in a growth cycle now. Which means a recession is likely not that far off, even for the U.S.

This article hypothesizes he may have pushed ours here back by a few years by spurring some short-term growth with the tax bill. That means if a global recession cycle soon, our personal one could possibly begin later, i.e., 2019 or 2020. 

That would be an anchor around Trump's reelection chances. If you take away a mostly good economy from his rap sheet, what is there really positive on Trump's resume? He'd be left with evangelical Christians and those who relish culture wars. If Trump runs & the U.S. is in a recession, he will lose. That is largely what made Bush 41 a one term president.

But he is undoubtably going to look like a fool if he touts every little thing on the economy & it winds up struggling anyway. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So.....drilling everywhere is important....well....unless a republican governor doesn’t want it. 

I feel like this is a very, very transparent attempt to give Rick Scott another notch on his belt as he attempts to oust a Democrat from the Senate next year. But I'm a cynic.

Edit: Tim Kaine agrees.

Edited by dudeguyy