Riley Says Defensive Plan was Fine, Execution Wasn't

Mavric

Nope.  Just coach speak and generalities.  Preferably what people want to hear.

^Really? Is that actually a true, defensible statement? Or are we high into "frame everything Riley has ever done in the worst possible light" hour?

Because it's going to be pretty awkward when Frost talks about execution or engages in what might be called 'coachspeak' after a loss.

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 4

2 minutes ago, zoogs said:

^Really? Is that actually a true, defensible statement? Or are we high into "frame everything Riley has ever done in the worst possible light" hour?

Because it's going to be pretty awkward when Frost talks about execution or engages in what might be called 'coachspeak' after a loss.

Haven't you heard? Frost isn't going to lose if he comes to Nebraska. EVER.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Someone should post Frost's press conference in a thread, a mega-thread, and we'll highlight it with stars so people will notice it.

55 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Sure, a coach thats putting it all on the players.  If you don't have the horses to run in the race, change races.  In other words, if the scheme doesn't fit our players abilities, change it or just simply it so the KIDS can execute it!

That's not my real problem. My real problem is not addressing it when it happens. A lot of times you go into a game and they do things differently than you saw on tape, and you gotta fix it then and there. Other teams coaches see that, hell we see it sometimes in the game thread. 

1 hour ago, lo country said:

And 3 years later we still can't execute.....that's coaching.  Or the same guys blow plays and still stay in.  That's coaching....

At least Diaco doesn't mention the players at all....

To be fair it is year 1 in this scheme.

Do people really believe only our coaches talk about players not executing to the media? Ridic.

I think the POTUS is the biggest tool ever and a true embarrassment and everyday people are cherry picking quotes out of the things he says to try and run their agenda. It's silly.

I get it. It is beyond aggravating to watch Wisconsin run 17 straight running plays and we can't stop it. Or to watch Ohio State score TD's every freaking time they have the ball! Our athletes don't look physically competitive. Is it recruiting? coaching? scheme? Developing talent? Strength and conditioning? Culture? All of it?

Husker football is a pretty pathetic shell of itself but these quotes don't mean anything one way or the other.

Edited by macroboy
  • Plus1 2

Even if your players don't execute the plan right, its up to the coaches to identify that and either make in game changes, (scheme, players, call a timeout) or coach better.  Saban has pressers, and always says, we need to coach better, coach up our players, do better.  We need to execute better as coaches and players.  Good coaches never blame the players to the media or even make you think they are saying that.  Its up to the coaches to put the players in position to execute.  College is for learning.

Edited by Nebhawk
1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

Sure, a coach thats putting it all on the players.  If you don't have the horses to run in the race, change races.  In other words, if the scheme doesn't fit our players abilities, change it or just simply it so the KIDS can execute it!

We've been hearing for decade how we're gong to simply things to execute better.  The biggest problem with execution is a lack of ability to execute it (i.e. too slow, too small, to clumsy, etc).   If you're not athletic enough, you are going to win an athletic competition with better athletes.   You can scheme and rescheme and simply and modify and adjust and correct BUT ultimately the players have to make plays.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

I will never know how Riley has coached for over 30 years making millions of dollars...

I will...honestly, in college football there are a lot of schools where you can almost "hide", college baseball is the best for this but CFB is not far behind.

"Hiding" at a D1 school requires only a few things...

1.  Low expectations to begin with

2.  Coach can't be HORRIBLE or AWESOME

3.  Be NICE!  (don't give people a reason to can you)

You do that and you are set at a lot of schools for a long time.  WSU, OSU, Miss St, Ole Miss, Vandy, NW, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, Utah, Utah State, TT, ISU, KU, KSU, ASU, UA, UConn, UL, GT, UNC, NCST...then every Non-P5 school

16 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Saban has pressers, and always says, we need to coach better, coach up our players, do better.  We need to execute better as coaches and players.  Good coaches never blame the players to the media or even make you think they are saying that. 

I gotta disagree with you there, and here's an example. The entire video contains portions describing his decision making and such, but 3:58 begins a very specific sequence. It's a lot more detailed than Riley would give, but he's certainly putting an onus on the execution side of the equation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HSqk9DqFIUU

Love it, Mikey throwing the players under the boss. Ohio State's productive night surely had nothing to do with the passive, no blitz defense Diaco called. Shoot, 3 guys rushng should always get to the QB... smfh. 

Serious question, would you guys play hard for this guy? he throws them under the boss, constantly says Nebraska lacks talent to compete right now... This actually makes me mad. Of course we got our ass handed to us, the coach keeps telilng the kids they are not talented enough yet.... what a joke.

4 minutes ago, skers44 said:

I would be more okay with getting lit up if we were aggressive and would bring pressure, but we get lit up dropping eight!

We say that because we know the result. If we gave up 8 TDs in a row blitzing, we'd blame it on the blitzing. If we're all truthful with ourselves, we know we wouldn't be more content, even a little bit, if we did things differently.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, brophog said:

I'd play hard for anybody, but I'm the guy you kick out of a game of monopoly because I hate losing to random ass dice. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Unfortunately Mike is the guy who you cheat on monopoly against and than play seven minutes in heaven with his girl, and he apologizes to you for getting angry...