Riley Says Defensive Plan was Fine, Execution Wasn't

Mavric

"I'd like to go back and replay particularly some of the early games -- just be a little better coach -- and see what that would've done for my career. Maybe nothing ..."

- Mike Riley, probably

15 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Brophog is in a Riley phog.  Its ok to keep finding ways to make this chat room more interesting and compelling for argument sakes.  

I agree with most on here about Riley and his lack of ability to coach up players.  His best teams at Beaver town were when he had NFL talent at QB and at WR, and on occasion at RB.  He can coach NFL skill to a point, but just not in the NFL.  I don't like to go here often, but the old guy down south in Manhatten Kansas, coaches his players up and usually wins alot of the time.  His recruiting classes range from anywhere in the 40's to upper 50's most years.  He has his players ready to play, and they compete most times.  So when I see people that think that this coach is just not got enough talent  or needs more time to gather talent is just not right.  Right?  KSU is comparitive to Wazzu, in many ways, but anyway.  Good coaches can coach up what they have to at least be competitve or want to be that.

Those must have been the seasons after he recruited all those 5* players - oh wait most of those recruits were 3* players.  Now i'm confused - he can't develop, so how did they become NFL talent?????

19 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

This x 100

We've had a "problem executing the gameplan" ever since joining the B1G, Pelini or Riley.

What's the constant; well, the gameplan itself has been relatively similar. Our D-line is told to hold their ground & sorta 'read-and-react' to the play & let the LB's & safeties shoot the proper gaps to make the play (or in our case; over-pursue, shoot the wrong gap, take a bad angle, or run into the D-lineman's back.)

Just tell our guys to get into the backfield, cause disruption, & make the play when it's their to be made. That seems to be the gameplan for most of the other B1G teams, and they all play each other relatively tough.

I agree. There were times when OSU had everyone on the line and just overwhelmed us. Eerily similar to what our defenses used to do in the 90's. Disrupt.

I can only describe Mike Riley and his gang of coaches with one word....CLUELESS. 

That is how they always look on the sideline. Body language says it all and Mike Riley seems so surprised when we actually pull a win. It is as if he is thinking: “I can’t believe we actually won, I am so proud of myself”. But I must say, he is a nice guy...

Just now, huskerfan74 said:

I can only describe Mike Riley and his gang of coaches with one word....CLUELESS. 

That is how they always look on the sideline. Body language says it all and Mike Riley seems so surprised when we actually pull a win. It is as if he is thinking: “I can’t believe we actually won, I am so proud of myself”. But I must say, he is a nice guy...

I LOL'd hard because first sentence I  glanced and see clueless, last part "nice guy."

14 hours ago, KCBuc said:

Offense and defense execution? 

I'm in favor of it. 

chuckleshuffle

What about Special Teams, bro!!!

On 10/19/2017 at 1:20 AM, KazLong said:

If you think  Frost is going to come  to  our dumpster fire I have a bridge to sell you.

If you think  Frost is going to come  to  our dumpster fire I have a bridge to sell you.

He went to a bigger dumpster fire for a lot less money.

On 10/18/2017 at 9:00 PM, macroboy said:

To be fair it is year 1 in this scheme.

Do people really believe only our coaches talk about players not executing to the media? Ridic.

I think the POTUS is the biggest tool ever and a true embarrassment and everyday people are cherry picking quotes out of the things he says to try and run their agenda. It's silly.

I get it. It is beyond aggravating to watch Wisconsin run 17 straight running plays and we can't stop it. Or to watch Ohio State score TD's every freaking time they have the ball! Our athletes don't look physically competitive. Is it recruiting? coaching? scheme? Developing talent? Strength and conditioning? Culture? All of it?

Husker football is a pretty pathetic shell of itself but these quotes don't mean anything one way or the other.

To say it's solely a player issue is a cop out. Some of these players he's had for 3 years, and you're telling me he couldn't figure out how to show them what to do in 3 years? My biggest problem with Riley is that I understand he has a system he wants to introduce and a new defense he wants to implement, but think back to the bowl game against UCLA.

That, in my opinion, was our best game. Riley geared the offensive game plan to the talent he had and they executed it so well. Why he strayed from that I'll never know. If we are to be patient and give Riley time, then he cannot continue to ram a game plan down player's throats who weren't recruited for that and expect them to excel. There had to be a balance between the path he wants to take, and the players he currently has.

He found the balance against UCLA, but then threw that out the window. This is not solely a talent issue, even Pelini recruited better than NIU and they still beat us. Which, yet again, brings us down to the larger issue: the inability of this coaching staff to develop players and to grow. The stagnation in this program is frustrating as a Husker fan.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 6:34 PM, zoogs said:

^Really? Is that actually a true, defensible statement? Or are we high into "frame everything Riley has ever done in the worst possible light" hour?

Because it's going to be pretty awkward when Frost talks about execution or engages in what might be called 'coachspeak' after a loss.

Since you didn't seem to be able to come up with any examples of when he did talk Xs and Os, I'll give you one where he was specifically asked about it and said nothing.

Post-game interview at Purdue.  was specifically asked "what happened on that last play?"  His answer has nothing to do with the last play.

Starting at 2:42:40