Riley Says Defensive Plan was Fine, Execution Wasn't

Mavric

5 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

Wasn't "didn't execute" the continual mantra of the Pelini gang too?

Pelini was using that excuse still in years 5, 6 and 7 when he had his own players and ample time to install his systems. 

Players not executing well in Riley's third year is frustrating but probably shouldn't be unexpected.  He spent two years running the Tommy Armstrong combo offense and pampering Pelini loyalists.  Diaco is in year one with a completely new defensive scheme, with injuries four-deep at safety, terribly inexperienced corners and LBs who don't fit well.

Riley still needs to get it improved this season, like right now.  Worse than 7-5 and it's hard to make an argument to keep him.

• Plus1 1

I'm not sure what the game plan was but I'm not sure they relayed it to the players.  I think it was the first maybe second td when OSU ran to their left.  Watch Lamar Jackson.  He looks like a kid who has never seen game action, but so did a lot of other players on other plays.  It just looked like no common football knowledge was showing up on the field 

2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Let’s never play ‘bend but don’t break’ again.

Amen... to me 'bend but don't break' is as stupid as 'prevent defense'.  All prevent defense does is prevent you from winning because your guys are so far off of the WRs.  Bend but don't break apparently is similar in that you give the offense a massive cushion to throw under.  Makes no sense at all.

5 hours ago, zoogs said:

^Really? Is that actually a true, defensible statement? Or are we high into "frame everything Riley has ever done in the worst possible light" hour?

Because it's going to be pretty awkward when Frost talks about execution or engages in what might be called 'coachspeak' after a loss.

If you think  Frost is going to come  to  our dumpster fire I have a bridge to sell you.

5 hours ago, zoogs said:

^Really? Is that actually a true, defensible statement? Or are we high into "frame everything Riley has ever done in the worst possible light" hour?

Because it's going to be pretty awkward when Frost talks about execution or engages in what might be called 'coachspeak' after a loss.

If you think  Frost is going to come  to  our dumpster fire I have a bridge to sell you.

5 hours ago, zoogs said:

15 minutes ago, KazLong said:

You must be his agent. What inside information do you have, good sir? Please do share a link or a source on your behalf.

50 minutes ago, neepster said:

Amen... to me 'bend but don't break' is as stupid as 'prevent defense'.  All prevent defense does is prevent you from winning because your guys are so far off of the WRs.  Bend but don't break apparently is similar in that you give the offense a massive cushion to throw under.  Makes no sense at all.

I miss seeing linebackers crashing the LOS like madmen flinching forward and threatening a blitz till the ball was snapped, they then dropped back into zone while opposing OL missed the OLB blitz that turned into a sack. Whatever happened to taking risks and being aggressive? UCF's defense is also fun to watch.

Wisconsin played a bend but don’t break defense better than we did. They broke once right before the end of the half but other than that, they let us get some yards and move downfield without really amounting to anything. They played sound defense and forced us to execute several plays each drive and we couldn’t, then they attacked at the right times.