The Philadelphia Meeting

Mavric

Moos thought about meeting Frost in Orlando the Thursday night before Nebraska's game against Penn State. Nah. Might as well do it in Philly on Friday. Frost's team was playing Temple there.

He wanted Davison there, too.

Davison had been in New York, serving as the color analyst for Husker hoops as they took on St. John's. He only found out as that trip began that he was wanted in Philly.

He tried to rent a car, but had trouble getting one he could take just one way. "So I jumped on a train." Then he took a cab. Then he showed up at the Embassy Suites, if that's what it was. They all look the same.

A room was booked.

It would eventually have five people in it: Frost, Davison, Central Florida's director of football operations Gerrod Lambrecht, Moos and his wife, Kendra. The couple had flown a charter plane to get there.

Kendra made sure there were snacks and beverages. She also had a question or two of her own for Frost.

"She gives a tough interview," Moos said. "She had her finger out and everything else. 'You make sure, first and foremost, you're a good daddy to that new baby.' I'm glad she was in there."

The meeting lasted an hour, maybe a bit more.

• Plus1 3

I thought Moos handled the Philadelphia meeting in yesterday's press conference very well.  Moos even pointed at Dirk and had a laugh with him about Dirk's questioning him 2 weeks ago.  Moos seems like a great guy who takes the job seriously, but not himself seriously.

The real questions about the Philly meeting are:

Geno's or Pat's

Cheese wiz or Real cheese

Wit peppers or not?

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought Moos handled the Philadelphia meeting in yesterday's press conference very well.  Moos even pointed at Dirk and had a laugh with him about Dirk's questioning him 2 weeks ago.  Moos seems like a great guy who takes the job seriously, but not himself seriously.

The real questions about the Philly meeting are:

Geno's or Pat's

Cheese wiz or Real cheese

Wit peppers or not?

Gotta be Pat's, Cheese Whiz no peppers.

More on the Philly meeting in the OWH

Moos was willing to fly to Orlando to meet with Frost, but Davison arranged a Nov. 17 meeting in Philadelphia. Frost would arrive after he’d finished all of the prep with his UCF team.

It was late enough in the evening, Kendra said, that the hotel restaurant was closing down soon.

“I had to improvise, and I always want to make sure everybody’s fed,” Kendra said. “So I went to the gift shop and bought all kinds of things, went to the kitchen, asked them to wash a bowl, put the bowl on the table, put everything in it and put soda pops and water around it. You’ve always got to be ready.”

Bill Moos said the meeting turned into a “casual” conversation. No notes. It lasted an hour.

“I needed to know I was working with someone who’d do whatever it takes to help us win football games,” Frost said. “I really believed that about Bill.”

Bill joked that Kendra “gives a tough interview,” but she has ample experience with coaches, since several have sat in her living room recruiting her sons, who played college football.

“I listened to what Scott said and thought gosh, if he were in my living room, recruiting my child, this Mama Bear would be saying, ‘You are going to play for that man,’” Kendra said.

• Plus1 2