Post Play Issues

BIG ERN

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

:dunno

I've been complaining about rebounding on here since I joined this board. Miles' teams are AWFUL at blocking out. Everyone just stands and looks at the rim rather than finding a body to get in front of. Its amazing to me how we repeatedly get out rebounded in these games and coaches never seem to fix this problem.

You aren't going to win a game where you give up 17 more rebounds than you get. Especially when we play small, team rebounding has to be an emphasis. Its flabbergasting that the same issues persist year in and year out.

9 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I've been complaining about rebounding on here since I joined this board. Miles' teams are AWFUL at blocking out. Everyone just stands and looks at the rim rather than finding a body to get in front of. Its amazing to me how we repeatedly get out rebounded in these games and coaches never seem to fix this problem.

You aren't going to win a game where you give up 17 more rebounds than you get. Especially when we play small, team rebounding has to be an emphasis. Its flabbergasting that the same issues persist year in and year out.

Here's an analysis of Nebraska's rebounding this year:

In 33 games, they finished -66 in rebound differential, or -2.0 per game.  They won the rebound battle 14 times, lost 17 times, and tied 2 times.

Their best performances by numbers were 52 total reb (Stetson), 20 off. reb (North Texas), and +17 differential (Penn State at home)

Their worst performances were 50 total reb allowed (St. John's), 22 off. reb allowed (NW), and -17 diff. (Illinois at home & at Miss. State)

Opponents averaged 13 offensive rebounds per game and 10 times they had more than 15 offensive rebounds.  NEB only had 15+ in the 1st 2 games and vs. Indiana.

At home they averaged a +2.6 differential, they won the rebound battle 11 times, lost it 4 times, and tied 2 times.

In road/neutral games they averaged a -6.9 differential, they won the rebound battle 3 times and lost it 13 times.

Vs. teams w/ winning records, averaged -3.5 diff., won the rebound battle 4 times, lost 10, tied 1 time.  (4 wins = UTSA & last 3 home games, MARY, IND, PSU)

Vs. teams w/ losing records, averaged -0.8 diff., won the rebound battle 10 times, lost 7, tied 1 time.

In wins, they averaged +1.4 differential, they won the rebound battle 14 times, lost 7, tied 1 time. (-15 to LBSU, -9 to BC, -17 to Illinois at home were all wins)

In losses, they averaged -8.8 differential, they won the rebound battle 0 times, lost 10, tied 1 time. (the tie was to Kansas)

They won every game in which they won the rebound battle.  They also almost beat Kansas when they tied them in rebounds.

Obviously this team overcame some poor rebounding games in order to win, but that was mostly against bad competition.  They had to have really good games in other areas (shooting %, free throws, steals, etc.) in order to pull out those games.  When they actually rebounded well, they won.  That's also a big reason why they almost upset Kansas as well.  The home/away splits are pretty troubling, but I think they correlate pretty well with other team stats in home/away splits because this team just doesn't play well on the road.

Eastern Illinois 0

North Texas +8

@ St. John's -11

North Dakota +11

*UCF -3

*Marist +3

*Long Beach State -15

Boston College -9

@ Michigan State -14 

Minnesota +4

@ Creighton -10 

Kansas 0

UT San Antonio +10

Delaware State +1

Stetson +6

@ Northwestern -6 

@ Purdue -9 

Wisconsin +2

@ Penn State -12

Illinois -17

Michigan -3

@ Ohio State -5

@ Rutgers -4

Iowa +9

@ Wisconsin +2

@ Minnesota +6

Rutgers -4

Maryland +4

@ Illinois -9

Indiana +6

Penn State +17

*Michigan -7

*Mississippi State -17

Edited by HS_Coach_C
  • Plus1 4
1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

In wins, they averaged +1.4 differential, they won the rebound battle 14 times, lost 7, tied 1 time. (-15 to LBSU, -9 to BC, -17 to Illinois at home were all wins)

In losses, they averaged -8.8 differential, they won the rebound battle 0 times, lost 10, tied 1 time. (the tie was to Kansas)

They won every game in which they won the rebound battle.  They also almost beat Kansas when they tied them in rebounds.

So our wins and losses were very closely tied to Post Play Issues.

Hmmmm........

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Here's an analysis of Nebraska's rebounding this year:

In 33 games, they finished -66 in rebound differential, or -2.0 per game.  They won the rebound battle 14 times, lost 17 times, and tied 2 times.

Their best performances by numbers were 52 total reb (Stetson), 20 off. reb (North Texas), and +17 differential (Penn State at home)

Their worst performances were 50 total reb allowed (St. John's), 22 off. reb allowed (NW), and -17 diff. (Illinois at home & at Miss. State)

Opponents averaged 13 offensive rebounds per game and 10 times they had more than 15 offensive rebounds.  NEB only had 15+ in the 1st 2 games and vs. Indiana.

At home they averaged a +2.6 differential, they won the rebound battle 11 times, lost it 4 times, and tied 2 times.

In road/neutral games they averaged a -6.9 differential, they won the rebound battle 3 times and lost it 13 times.

Vs. teams w/ winning records, averaged -3.5 diff., won the rebound battle 4 times, lost 10, tied 1 time.  (4 wins = UTSA & last 3 home games, MARY, IND, PSU)

Vs. teams w/ losing records, averaged -0.8 diff., won the rebound battle 10 times, lost 7, tied 1 time.

Obviously this team overcame some poor rebounding games in order to win, but that was mostly against bad competition.  They had to have really good games in other areas (shooting %, free throws, steals, etc.) in order to pull out those games.  When they actually rebounded well, they won.  That's also a big reason why they almost upset Kansas as well.  The home/away splits are pretty troubling, but I think they correlate pretty well with other team stats in home/away splits because this team just doesn't play well on the road.

Eastern Illinois 0

North Texas +8

@ St. John's -11

North Dakota +11

*UCF -3

*Marist +3

*Long Beach State -15

Boston College -9

@ Michigan State -14 

Minnesota +4

@ Creighton -10 

Kansas 0

UT San Antonio +10

Delaware State +1

Stetson +6

@ Northwestern -6 

@ Purdue -9 

Wisconsin +2

@ Penn State -12

Illinois -17

Michigan -3

@ Ohio State -5

@ Rutgers -4

Iowa +9

@ Wisconsin +2

@ Minnesota +6

Rutgers -4

Maryland +4

@ Illinois -9

Indiana +6

Penn State +17

*Michigan -7

*Mississippi State -17

this is phenomenal work. Thank you for putting this together

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Agreed, but this means nothing without shooting percentage.   The more shots we miss the more opportunities there are to rebound and we've had some very poor shooting games. 

I put some stats together last year that are floating around here about our three point shooting percentages and them being awful but the combo of being bad at rebounding and also bad at shooting is not something that typically wins you games

On 3/15/2018 at 8:23 PM, BIG ERN said:

I've said Daum can play in the B10 and he proved that again today. Kid can EAT - such a shame we didn't offer a 6'9 Nebraska kid who avg 25/12 as a SR in HS while being able to shoot the 3P and FT

Daum was nowhere near a D-1 player coming out of high school. 

14 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

He's nowhere but Brady Heiman is? 17/10/4

Depends on what metrics you want to use. Daum had minimal D1 offers out of HS: his best was from South Dakota State. Not from Nebraska or Creighton. Also, as has been pointed out, his coach tried to process him out of the program after his redshirt season. He's worked his tail off to become as prolific a scorer as he is. 

Heiman has offers from multiple D-1 programs that have had success in March; Nebraska beat out Creighton and Omaha for his signature. 

So comparatively, at that point in their careers, the three D1 schools in the state all judged Heiman as a better prospect than Daum. Could it be reactionary? Sure. Miles and Mac see what Daum has done and decide they probably don't need to miss on another small school kid from in-state. However, by virtually all metrics we have access to, Heiman is thought of more highly than Daum was at that point in time. 

17 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Depends on what metrics you want to use. Daum had minimal D1 offers out of HS: his best was from South Dakota State. Not from Nebraska or Creighton. Also, as has been pointed out, his coach tried to process him out of the program after his redshirt season. He's worked his tail off to become as prolific a scorer as he is. 

Heiman has offers from multiple D-1 programs that have had success in March; Nebraska beat out Creighton and Omaha for his signature. 

So comparatively, at that point in their careers, the three D1 schools in the state all judged Heiman as a better prospect than Daum. Could it be reactionary? Sure. Miles and Mac see what Daum has done and decide they probably don't need to miss on another small school kid from in-state. However, by virtually all metrics we have access to, Heiman is thought of more highly than Daum was at that point in time. 

The story of his coach asking him to leave SDSU is way overblown. He said his body wasn't right and he needed to get into shape and add a little muscle. He avg 15 pts 6 reb his first playing season at SDSU and shot 45% from 3P. His numbers in high school also showed that he could play at a high level. Heiman's team lost first round of state and he put up 11 points. Daum had 28 of the team's 46 when they lost to Freeman. I think that Heiman being a little taller/longer helped with recruiting. 

I'm all for Heiman panning out here. I also don't want to sound like Daum was a can't miss pick out of HS but he def deserved a scholly. 

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The story of his coach asking him to leave SDSU is way overblown. He said his body wasn't right and he needed to get into shape and add a little muscle. He avg 15 pts 6 reb his first playing season at SDSU and shot 45% from 3P. His numbers in high school also showed that he could play at a high level. Heiman's team lost first round of state and he put up 11 points. Daum had 28 of the team's 46 when they lost to Freeman. I think that Heiman being a little taller/longer helped with recruiting. 

I'm all for Heiman panning out here. I also don't want to sound like Daum was a can't miss pick out of HS but he def deserved a scholly. 

It's pretty black and white: his coach talked about finding him a new spot, which a coach doesn't do if he wants a player on the roster.