Early Signing …….. Perhaps a blessing for the new staff

mnhusker

At first I felt the early signing period would make it tougher on the new staff.  I wonder if it had some positive unintended consequences that outweighed the challenges.   While perhaps it deprived the staff of time to build relationships with new targets it also provided a great opportunity.  The early signing period was like a great filter. After the players were poured through it, the coaches  get a good idea of what players may not be as committed as they seemed.  Of course, some players are hanging on for a flash of attention gained by committing after a televised event or at some HS ceremony but for others, the bluff was called.   This means that for Frost and Company they get a chance to swoop in and make offers to truly undecided targets who were lost in the masses who seemed firmly committed to another school.   

• Plus1 1

Generally speaking, I think it will be a good thing.  Probably a detriment in the first year.  Advantage of having half the guys locked up so they can really focus on finding others in January.  But not having much time to work with really cut down who they can still look at.  Seems likely that they could have gotten Riley to stick with more time and maybe flipped Fleeks.  Now they only have a fraction of the recruits to work with to fill the class.

• Plus1 1

Follow up thought on this topic ........... I was glad to see the new offers go out over the past few days (hence I started this topic).  I guess the real question now is will we we get traction and commitments from these guys?  Tons of offers but other than the obligatory "blessed for the offer" twitter post (kinda like the thing I thumbs up to  a relative when they post of picture of nephew dressed for Halloween) I'm hoping to see some results.  I think we have a few visits on one crystal ball from the offers so that's good.

On 12/27/2017 at 11:29 AM, TonyStalloni said:

The thing I like about the early period is the idea that the coaches can now focus on the last 6-8 kids they need to fill out the class and not have to worry that another program can sneak in the back door and poach the kids who are committed.  Signing the LOI removes the temptation for kids to seek greener pastures.

This x100.

Coaches were required to seek new targets while at the same time keep their current commits happy, by continuing to communicate constantly with them. The early signing day took away the constant STRAIN of having to look over your shoulder for the coaches.

Edited by ScottyIce
  • Plus1 2

11 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Sounds like some coaches in bowl games aren’t as crazy about it, but perhaps it levels the playing field a bit?

This seems like an odd criticism from coaches because, unless I'm mistaken, some had bowl prep/bowl games during the previous December recruiting period and had to balance both. The difference this year (and, admittedly, it is a significant one) is you can actually sign players before the dead period as opposed to cutting off communication until January.

Personally, I'd welcome this change. I think I read something like 60% of the athletes with division one scholarship offers signed in December. That's pretty incredible.