** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northwestern (Game 7) **

4 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

It's going to be weird not seeing him with Northwestern anymore.  I figured he was going to get fired but in this day and age one doesn't know.  As a leader of a football team he failed miserably for the 11 football players that didn't have a voice and were looking for one.  I didn't know it was 11 it shouldn't have never been one to begin with.

33 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

When you say (Matt Campbell) a name I'm throwing out a upgrade or same level?  Just trying to understand who would be considered a upgrade at Northwestern.

I strongly suspect I'm the wrong person to ask because I probably have a much lower opinion of Fitzgerald than the average person. All I'll say is he really misses Mike Hankwitz. Since his retirement following Northwestern's very successful 2020 season they are 4-20 overall, 2-16 in conference with wins over Nebraska and Rutgers. Including the 2019 season, Fitzgerald has (3) one win conference seasons in the last (4), going a combined 7-29 in those seasons. Their prospects for this season weren't considered much higher.

My problem with Fitzgerald isn't that he didn't guide the team to some very good seasons it is that for every time he had a "very good season for Northwestern" he also has a "this season would have gotten you fired at anywhere but Northwestern".

IMO, it shouldn't have taken a hazing scandal and then the school newspaper exposing the details to get him fired. He's shown plenty of cause on the field for that, but he's considered such an icon of the program that it wasn't really considered until this controversy.

8 hours ago, brophog said:

Northwestern is going to end up upgrading coaches when this is all said and done.

Yep.  They got out of a really tough decision to make when they won three games this year and have to fire the golden boy because he had only won seven games in three years.

But they completely botched the operation and now have an even bigger mess on their hands.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  They got out of a really tough decision to make when they won three games this year and have to fire the golden boy because he had only won seven games in three years.

But they completely botched the operation and now have an even bigger mess on their hands.

Plus, with some other potential issues in their other male sports teams, their athletic department could be a mess for a few years.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

That initial decision to simply suspend could really cost them here. At this point, Northwestern just needs to cut their losses and pay to have this go away. They have very little to gain by a protracted legal battle keeping this in the news any longer than necessary.