Big Ten football coaches share unfiltered opinions on every team, via Athlon Sports

I love this series every year. I thought they did it during or just after Big Ten Media Days, but maybe I'm misremembering.

LINK

Some solid, positive stuff about Nebraska from one coach:

"Matt Rhule is a legitimately good college coach. Fans who are talking about the Carolina Panthers don't get it. He changed the culture at places that were in really, really bad situations, so he's got an even better shot than an alumnus of woking up the sleeping giant. ... This is a talented offense, but we don't know if they'll click. They need a solid, proof-of-concept year with both schemes on both sides of the ball, otherwise, it's all about recruiting. They're a sleeping giant because every other staff in the league knows what they're building in NIL. They're scary. If they do it the right way and strike deals with players who can be foundational pieces, they're going to be really good down the line."

This seems to be the editorial opinion (notice no quotes).

Rave reviews are in for Rhule ahead of his first season with the Huskers. Most importantly, the financial infrastructure appears to be in place for future success down the road, according to anonymous Big Ten coaches. Given his track record of success at Temple and Baylor, Rhule does come in with sizable expectations nationally that, at least by the end of the year, the Huskers put a respectable product on the field. "Sleeping giant" was said multiple times by opposing coaches, which means they believe it.

I like the quote about NIL, too. We need to be an aggressive player in the NIL market to fix this team.
  • Oh Yeah! 1

21 hours ago, knapplc said:

I love this series every year. I thought they did it during or just after Big Ten Media Days, but maybe I'm misremembering.

LINK

Some solid, positive stuff about Nebraska from one coach:

This seems to be the editorial opinion (notice no quotes).

I like the quote about NIL, too. We need to be an aggressive player in the NIL market to fix this team.

Didn't Tyreke Johnson put a quote out about something that has to do with Nebraska and their NIL?   I know he never got on the field but he seemed like got shafted.  I know alot of the media talks about our NIL but is it as good as they say or is any truth behind Tyreke Johnson and what he has to say?

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Didn't Tyreke Johnson put a quote out about something that has to do with Nebraska and their NIL?   I know he never got on the field but he seemed like got shafted.  I know alot of the media talks about our NIL but is it as good as they say or is any truth behind Tyreke Johnson and what he has to say?

Let's see.....a formerly highly rated recruit comes in and doesn't see the playing field....and he's upset because he didn't get all the NIL he thought he should.

Hmmmm.....wonder what the problem was.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let's see.....a formerly highly rated recruit comes in and doesn't see the playing field....and he's upset because he didn't get all the NIL he thought he should.

Hmmmm.....wonder what the problem was.

But was it promised to him that's the question??? Why would he come out with a quote about NIL and how people treated him at the University?  Not saying he is right but why would he make a big deal out of all of this that is the question?

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

https://twitter.com/Im_showtime_/status/1661414357396324352?s=20 Found his quote.  Now I can understand that he didn't live up to billing but why add the NIL part and how Nebraska does people thing?  All that is unnecessary unless there is any truth to that.

He came here expecting to get major playing time.  He didn't.  I'm sure he also didn't get the NIL he was expecting when that became a thing.  

When people are disappointed with something, they say things.  Sometimes, others look at that and realize his words are not logical.

It's possible this is one of those cases.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He came here expecting to get major playing time.  He didn't.  I'm sure he also didn't get the NIL he was expecting when that became a thing.  

When people are disappointed with something, they say things.  Sometimes, others look at that and realize his words are not logical.

Gotcha thanks.

58 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

https://twitter.com/Im_showtime_/status/1661414357396324352?s=20 Found his quote.  Now I can understand that he didn't live up to billing but why add the NIL part and how Nebraska does people thing?  All that is unnecessary unless there is any truth to that.

Immature kid saying immature things.  NIL is separate from the university.  I'm sure they have some influence but Nebraska didn't do him anything imo.  And there is the fact that he went through a coaching change last year with a guy who was in way over his head to the point he allegedly assaulted his wife.  Things weren't exactly smooth sailing.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

There have been a few reports that player were not getting what was "promised".  What was "promised", by whom and what the conditions were is unknown.

But it was pretty much confirmed by the HOL guys that Bryce McGowens didn't get everything he was "promised".  If you recall, there was some rumors of that while he was here (or maybe before he got here?).

There is enough smoke around it to believe that there is at least some element of truth to it.  And very likely a major factor in why ABM disappeared so quickly.  I've heard that there are still some wrinkles to work out with 1890.  But I think most of the reports that have come out are from when ABM was running the show.

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

There have been a few reports that player were not getting what was "promised".  What was "promised", by whom and what the conditions were is unknown.

But it was pretty much confirmed by the HOL guys that Bryce McGowens didn't get everything he was "promised".  If you recall, there was some rumors of that while he was here (or maybe before he got here?).

There is enough smoke around it to believe that there is at least some element of truth to it.  And very likely a major factor in why ABM disappeared so quickly.  I've heard that there are still some wrinkles to work out with 1890.  But I think most of the reports that have come out are from when ABM was running the show.

I bet a good big lot of this comes down to the yuckety boosters/donors making 'promises' which are to the tune of, "We're working on it but it's looking really good. Maybe even $_______, especially if you do well I could envision you getting to $______ easily"

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

Who is ABM?