What Phase of the Game Must Improve = Successful Season

What Phase needs to improve  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m not saying load your team with Rudy’s.  You’re using extremes.  You simply can’t show up on Saturday and “kick a$$” because you’re a four star.  It’s absurd to think that.

If your culture is soft your team is soft when all other things are equal. 

You don’t tackle in practice, you’re getting rolled in a games.  You don’t block in practice you’re just a bag standing in front of an OSU lineman.  You don’t do workouts that translate to functional speed and strength have fun with the second.  You lack discipline you lose the penalty and turnover game all day.  All culture.

I love all of this.  

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I love all of this.  

This program has talent.  It’s not elite but it’s definitely enough for a bowl game.  Frost lost 364 games (that’s what it seemed like) by one score.  This is why I think they get 7 wins this year.  I expect to get beat up for that prediction, but that’s just what I think.

Need to get tougher.

• Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This program has talent.  It’s not elite but it’s definitely enough for a bowl game.  Frost lost 364 games (that’s what it seemed like) by one score.  This is why I think they get 7 wins this year.  I expect to get beat up for that prediction, but that’s just what I think.

Need to get tougher.

All the teams in the west suck.  NU will only be a double digit dog in 1 game this year.

They can win pretty much every game they play...7 is just fine.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3
57 minutes ago, teachercd said:

All the teams in the west suck.  NU will only be a double digit dog in 1 game this year.

They can win pretty much every game they play...7 is just fine.

Um, haven't you heard the practices at Iowa are bloodbaths???  #physicality #olivianewtonjohn

I'm with both of you though.  We need better players, who are also more physical via attitude and wanting contact.

7 hours ago, runningblind said:

Um, haven't you heard the practices at Iowa are bloodbaths???  #physicality #olivianewtonjohn

I'm with both of you though.  We need better players, who are also more physical via attitude and wanting contact.

Oh yeah!

but imagine wanting to be like Iowa…the best defensive team they ever had was last year and NU could have named the score.

• Plus1 1

Our defense was the weakest of the three phases of the game through the first four games of last season. There were easily six wins on the schedule with the roster we had - even without Nouili/Prochazka on the offensive line. Chinander pi$$ed the Northwestern & Georgia Southern games down his leg with soft coverage and almost no aggressiveness with blitzing.

When the defense was then handed over to Busch, it looked a lot better just by playing tighter to the line of scrimmage and being a bit more aggressive.

But I still think the defense has some low-hanging fruit to harvest and can elevate its level with White's concepts and the addition of Sherman. It's hard to choose between "run blocking" and "defense" for me, but I'm still taking defense.

• TBH 2
52 minutes ago, Undone said:

Our defense was the weakest of the three phases of the game through the first four games of last season. There were easily six wins on the schedule with the roster we had - even without Nouili/Prochazka on the offensive line. Chinander pi$$ed the Northwestern & Georgia Southern games down his leg with soft coverage and almost no aggressiveness with blitzing.

When the defense was then handed over to Busch, it looked a lot better just by playing tighter to the line of scrimmage and being a bit more aggressive.

But I still think the defense has some low-hanging fruit to harvest and can elevate its level with White's concepts and the addition of Sherman. It's hard to choose between "run blocking" and "defense" for me, but I'm still taking defense.

This. Also last season was such a mixed bag. As soon as Busch took over the defense was markedly better, but then the offense went completely anemic. Nebraska has had, for the last 2 decades, major issues with both sides of the ball playing well at the same timededhoarse

its uncanny. (See how many times the defense gets a turn over and the offense s#!ts the bed and goes 3 and out; conversely the offense busts a huge explosive scoring drive then the defense gives up one of their own, etc etc.)There are easily 7-8 wins on the schedule if we simply play complimentary football. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

This. Also last season was such a mixed bag. As soon as Busch took over the defense was markedly better, but then the offense went completely anemic. Nebraska has had, for the last 2 decades, major issues with both sides of the ball playing well at the same timededhoarse

its uncanny. (See how many times the defense gets a turn over and the offense s#!ts the bed and goes 3 and out; conversely the offense busts a huge explosive scoring drive then the defense gives up one of their own, etc etc.)There are easily 7-8 wins on the schedule if we simply play complimentary football. 

Most of the teams NU faces this year have lame offenses and they won't run away from anyone.  

I expect a lot of games with scores in the mid to high 20's.

16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I didn't see this "phase of the game" mentioned in the choices, but I think overall game and program management will be big for improvement this year and going forward.  I think it's clear that Rhule is running this program the best way HE sees fit.  NU is going to sink or swim with Rhule's fingers on the buttons.  It's not going to be a hodge podge of offensive and defensive philosophies as it was under Frost, and the program and team should be managed a lot better, which should drive improvement in results.

Very good point.  game management, adjustments, overall mgmt of the program are the foundation stones for improvement

• Oh Yeah! 2

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Most of the teams NU faces this year have lame offenses and they won't run away from anyone.  

I expect a lot of games with scores in the mid to high 20's.

Agreed and for the most part the defense did that last season (post chins) with the exception of the Michigan and Purdue games. At the end of the day I think the defense will show out, the big question mark for everyone should be, will the offense execute and sustain drives that help the defense out, score in the red zone, score off turn overs/ big stops by the defense. 

41 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

Imagine the 2009 SUH defense with the Taylor Martenez 2010 offense.  - NC contender for sure.  Timing is everything - It will help when we have 2 or 3 levels of excellence depth on both sides of the ball like did back in the day.  Reloading is always easier than rebuilding. 

• TBH 1
5 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

Agreed and for the most part the defense did that last season (post chins) with the exception of the Michigan and Purdue games.

Yeah, you're right:

image.png.e7aad962f01c69564eecb60e1ef7ac8f.png

I hadn't remembered the final scores as well as I thought I had. Some of the stats on rushing offense in some of those losses for us are terrible. Maybe I'm switching my answer to "rushing offense."    :)

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

Agreed and for the most part the defense did that last season (post chins) with the exception of the Michigan and Purdue games. At the end of the day I think the defense will show out, the big question mark for everyone should be, will the offense execute and sustain drives that help the defense out, score in the red zone, score off turn overs/ big stops by the defense. 

Yes, we have got to get back to the two units feeding off each other and helping each other.

Offense drives and scores in the red zone.  Defense gets a big stop or a turnover.  Offense drives again and scores.  The defense can be more aggressive and take a chance on a blitz every once in a while....rinse and repeat.

• TBH 1
47 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah, you're right:

image.png.e7aad962f01c69564eecb60e1ef7ac8f.png

I hadn't remembered the final scores as well as I thought I had. Some of the stats on rushing offense in some of those losses for us are terrible. Maybe I'm switching my answer to "rushing offense."    :)

It’s a hard choice right?? There so many layers to this onion.

At the risk of sounding like a madden quote, if your offense capitalizes on big plays by your defense and your defense makes big plays to give the offense scoring opportunities, you win football games.