2023 Fall Camp Notes - Quarterbacks

Does anybody know whether Rhule ran the option at Temple or Baylor?

If he didn't, I wonder if he's mixing it in just to make fans happy. I do not like the concept of spending practice time on the option for a QB who probably needs more practice time honing his arm skill.

If you want to run outside, peel him out on keepers every once in a while, but mostly just run power tosses to your backs. I know there'll be a lot of disagreement though "because we need the option to be successful again!"        :leghump:

1 hour ago, Undone said:

If he didn't, I wonder if he's mixing it in just to make fans happy. I do not like the concept of spending practice time on the option for a QB who probably needs more practice time honing his arm skill.

If you want to run outside, peel him out on keepers every once in a while, but mostly just run power tosses to your backs. I know there'll be a lot of disagreement though "because we need the option to be successful again!"        :leghump:

I mean option can look like option and not be option.  Ends up just being a delayed handoff/toss if you will.  Run to this point and pitch.   Not really an option but the defender has to respect it the first few times you do it.  And then when he doesn't the next time you call a keep.  Keeps everyone from having to think about what might happen on the offensive side.  Keeps mistakes to a minimum, everyone knows how and where they are getting the ball.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I mean option can look like option and not be option.  Ends up just being a delayed handoff/toss if you will.  Run to this point and pitch.   Not really an option but the defender has to respect it the first few times you do it.  And then when he doesn't the next time you call a keep.  Keeps everyone from having to think about what might happen on the offensive side.  Keeps mistakes to a minimum, everyone knows how and where they are getting the ball.  

Totally agree with what you're saying, and there's no way to know which one it is from that one photo from the first day of fall camp.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Totally agree with what you're saying, and there's no way to know which one it is from that one photo from the first day of fall camp.

Also I'm calling my shot. They will run the option out of that set a few times and there will be a throw back to Rahmir on the opposite side at some point

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, Undone said:

Yes, but not a lot. Charlie Brewer and PJ Walker were both capable runners, but not guys whom you build an offense around their legs.

This is pure speculation, but based on how much Satterfield used the wildcat last year and some of the things we saw them try with Haarberg in the spring, I wonder if they're at least tinkering with the idea of using him in some wildcat-esque packages.

4 hours ago, Undone said:

If you want to run outside, peel him out on keepers every once in a while, but mostly just run power tosses to your backs.

A lot of defenses want to stay in 2 high these days which means they have trouble accounting for both the QB and RB.

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Yeah, you don't see many teams anymore really press the edge. It's more approach the corner and make a business decision.:D

• Oh Yeah! 1

Herbie's Hangout - 2023 Preview: Quarterback

Not to play spoiler for the rest of the previews… But Phil Steele ranks every position room in the B1G, and Nebraska’s QB room is ranked 6th, which is the best ranking according to Phil Steele for any position group on the Huskers in 2023. How putrid is that? Just an unbelievable level of no development, no recruiting, and not keeping anyone by the last staff. Our best position room according to a top national writer, is one where Rhule brought in his own guy to start and is in his first year in Lincoln. What an absolute joke.