2023 Fall Camp Notes - Defensive Backs

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wish could be here, work hard and make the team better.  But, if he's not willing to do that, then it's best he move on.

Between his drunk driving suspension last year, not buying in, & attitude to think a guy who could run a 9.70 flat as a safety doesn’t need to work as hard as everyone else..goodbye. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

Safety is a spot I always wince at when I hear there’s attrition because those guys are both at risk of getting banged up and at the highest risk for targeting ejections. Just one bad or unlucky half of football and you go from good depth to questionable depth. But, if he wasn’t willing to buy into the new culture then it’s not a loss at the end of the day and it’s a spot where I do feel good about what is replacing him. Just need to make it through fall camp with no one getting banged up back there.

On 8/1/2023 at 12:31 PM, Mavric said:

I still haven't figured out for sure if Rover is a defensive back or a linebacker but...

I think the ideal concept of a rover is JoJo Domann.  Something like that.  I could be wrong.

A dude that will come up and tackle RBs, sometimes blitz QBs, can play exceptional in space, and also cover TE/Slot receivers down field if need be.  Many guys cover do some of those things of course, but the key is playing in space and tackling (which not every Hybrid/DB can do or is willing to do).   Just my thoughts on it

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Decked said:

Farmer is in the portal now. 

Good. Really good (for the defense)

As a safety, dude had real problems coming up and tackling running backs.  When you talk about close games and hidden yardage....  Farmer was part of the problem.   So many 10 yard runs turned into long, long runs, momentum changers, and occasional back breaking long touchdown runs....   Him and a some of the DBs over the years just did not want to play physical.  Defending the pass is different, but in the big ten with tons of really good physical running backs, there is a requirement that Safeties and DBs need to play physical and make tackles.  I am glad he is gone, although RBs from Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern and Minnesota are sad to hear it.  

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Good to hear Tommi Hill getting some good props from Rhule.  Definitely has the talent.  If he can put it together he'll really help.

Tony White even mentioned Hill in his appearance with the BTN guys. After showing next to nothing last year, it would be a great if Hill was a solid contributor this year. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

After showing next to nothing last year, it would be a great if Hill was a solid contributor this year. 

I feel like that when Rhule was talking about the guys increased mobility over the summer. Nash is suddenly a ballerina and Satterfield can call a play without five TEs. I don't believe either of those things, but I've been wrong before.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1