2023 Fall Camp Notes - Defensive Backs

Hey @Mavric @MyBloodIsRed16 @ColoradoHusk @brophog @Husker in WI

I never played DB/S.  I know we are going to have rotations with the DL and LBs.  

My question is (I hope it's not dumb question)....  Are we going to have some DBs and Safeties and Rovers rotating at times as well ?  Regardless of opponent and score?  I'm curious what yall have to say on that, because I think we had extra guys in the secondary rotate at times with Coach Pellini but haven't noticed much of that since.  

Thanks

9 minutes ago, admo said:

I never played DB/S.  I know we are going to have rotations with the DL and LBs.  

My question is (I hope it's not dumb question)....  Are we going to have some DBs and Safeties and Rovers rotating at times as well ?  Regardless of opponent and score?  I'm curious what yall have to say on that, because I think we had extra guys in the secondary rotate at times with Coach Pellini but haven't noticed much of that since.  

Thanks

I would think so, but I expect the rotations to happen less as you move down the defense. DL will rotate even within the same drive if it's more than 6 or so plays. LBs probably won't rotate within drives unless it's super long (maybe the Jacks will), but I suspect we'll do something like Reimer/Henrich/Sherman for drive 1, Reimer/Bullock/Butler for drive 2, Henrich/Bullock/Sherman for drive 3, etc. 

I don't think DBs will rotate as heavily or regularly, but I think you'll see a handful of drives each game with at least a few "non-starting" DBs. Just my guess though.

• Thanks 1
Just now, admo said:

Thanks

I would guess we'll see some but not nearly as much as with the front six.  Seems like most coaches stick with their guys on the back in.  Plus it would seem like they don't take quite the physical pounding as the guys up near the line do.

Corners don't seem to really ever rotate unless they get pulled for bad play.  I would guess a couple of the safeties will play most of the time and maybe one spot will be rotated a bit, just based on who we have.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, admo said:

Thanks

Rotations make logical sense with you have bench strength or capability.

I think one of the problems that has been well documented in our recent history in the poor use of practice time.  I don't think there were as many reps to be had.  The era of guy getting reps when the Huskers were up by 35 are long gone.  With an already weak development process, coupled with the fact that every game was a very close score, it just compounded the fact that you were going to ride with #1s.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

Prediction - Ethan Nation will be

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Newsome said the guys who have mainly been playing CB are himself, Hartzog, Hill, Bootle and Ethan Nation.

Prediction. Ethan Nation is going to have big impact on Husker football in the coming years. Although only a ️ by the services he had offers from just about every P5 powerhouse program there is. Kind of flew under a lot of peoples radar IMHO.

1 hour ago, admo said:

Thanks

I see others have chimed in, but I will throw my 2 cents in, as well.  I think there are less rotations done at DB because the play isn't as physical, like it can be on the d-line and LB.  For most plays, the secondary guys are running around, covering area/receivers, rather than having man-to-man combat every down.  CB's can even take "plays off" when there is a running play or short pass to the opposite side.  People will get mad about that comment, but it's true.

I could be wrong, but I think in White's defense the Rover (Isaac Gifford) is asked to move around the most, where White will bring that player to the LB level, or may keep that player deep in the middle of the field.  I think White prefers his safeties to play deeper and be more involved in the passing game.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1