Unpopular Food Takes

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Me too! Odell's Drumroll hazy pale ale is really good also.

Cottage cheese and yogurt. Any yogurt flavor you like.

Yeah I don’t think I’ve run across an Odells beer that I don’t like.

I loved cottage cheese as a kid. We had it all the time. But honestly I don’t think I’ve had it once in the last 25 years. Think I’ll get some next trip to the store in place of some of the yogurts.

Years ago we did work at MeadowGold in their cottage cheese room, more than a couple times.  The smell of thousands of gallons of curdling milk is very off putting but I should be over it now.

20 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah I don’t think I’ve run across an Odells beer that I don’t like.

I loved cottage cheese as a kid. We had it all the time. But honestly I don’t think I’ve had it once in the last 25 years. Think I’ll get some next trip to the store in place of some of the yogurts.

Years ago we did work at MeadowGold in their cottage cheese room, more than a couple times.  The smell of thousands of gallons of curdling milk is very off putting but I should be over it now.

The cottage cheese texture is a game changer, I love it.

The smaller the ice cube...the better

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ketchup is kinda nasty.

About 20 years ago I was in Chicago during the Cubs' playoff run (this was the Bartman year, the atmosphere was wild) and was outside of Wrigley field during one of the games. I wanted the true Chicago experience, so I went to Clark Street Dogs and ordered a Chicago-style dog with the works. I then made the mistake of asking if they had ketchup. The sweet old lady at the hot dog stand gave me an embarrassing dressing-down that I will never forget, in front of half of Cubs nation who were also waiting in line for their dog. You simply don't put ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago. 

I deserved it though. The hot dog was glorious, and I don't think I have put ketchup on a dog since that day. 

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

About 20 years ago I was in Chicago during the Cubs' playoff run (this was the Bartman year, the atmosphere was wild) and was outside of Wrigley field during one of the games. I wanted the true Chicago experience, so I went to Clark Street Dogs and ordered a Chicago-style dog with the works. I then made the mistake of asking if they had ketchup. The sweet old lady at the hot dog stand gave me an embarrassing dressing-down that I will never forget, in front of half of Cubs nation who were also waiting in line for their dog. You simply don't put ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago. 

I deserved it though. The hot dog was glorious, and I don't think I have put ketchup on a dog since that day. 

As a Cubs fan that has been there many times.....that's funny.  Try ordering an italian beef sandwich at a certain hole in the wall place on south Cicero with red sauce.  The guy will just about throw you out of the place.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As a Cubs fan that has been there many times.....that's funny.  Try ordering an italian beef sandwich at a certain hole in the wall place on south Cicero with red sauce.  The guy will just about throw you out of the place.

oh man, "a certain hole in the wall place on south Cicero" describes about a million different spots. All kind of dirty and scary, but all with amazing food from the Italian Beef to the pizza and to the gyros. 

But I will also say, I've tried a lot of Italian beef (juicy) in Chicago, including Al's #1, some Al's knockoffs, and these dingy mom and pop spots on the South Side. And you know the best Italian Beef I've ever had in my life? Lincoln's own M&N Sandwich Shop. Rest in peace Norm, you brilliant a$$hole. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Ulty said:

oh man, "a certain hole in the wall place on south Cicero" describes about a million different spots. All kind of dirty and scary, but all with amazing food from the Italian Beef to the pizza and to the gyros. 

But I will also say, I've tried a lot of Italian beef (juicy) in Chicago, including Al's #1, some Al's knockoffs, and these dingy mom and pop spots on the South Side. And you know the best Italian Beef I've ever had in my life? Lincoln's own M&N Sandwich Shop. Rest in peace Norm, you brilliant a$$hole. 

We order Portillos into the office a couple times a year.  It's so good.  Is M&N still open?  I'll have to try it.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We order Portillos into the office a couple times a year.  It's so good.  Is M&N still open?  I'll have to try it.

Nope, the sole proprietor died about 5 years ago or so. I've been mourning the loss of those sandwiches ever since. Unparalleled. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Do you get your Portillos from Taste of Chicago, Goldbelly or one of those places?

I’ve ordered Lou Malnati’s pizzas a few times but never Italian Beef packages. Wondering if they’re any good that way.