Unpopular Food Takes

5 hours ago, Ulty said:

About 20 years ago I was in Chicago during the Cubs' playoff run (this was the Bartman year, the atmosphere was wild) and was outside of Wrigley field during one of the games. I wanted the true Chicago experience, so I went to Clark Street Dogs and ordered a Chicago-style dog with the works. I then made the mistake of asking if they had ketchup. The sweet old lady at the hot dog stand gave me an embarrassing dressing-down that I will never forget, in front of half of Cubs nation who were also waiting in line for their dog. You simply don't put ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago. 

I deserved it though. The hot dog was glorious, and I don't think I have put ketchup on a dog since that day. 

Hahaha!  I grew up there and it is a very real thing

image.png.84c1701d22779ad71a5676e416c4d50e.png

• Oh Yeah! 1

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Do you get your Portillos from Taste of Chicago, Goldbelly or one of those places?

I’ve ordered Lou Malnati’s pizzas a few times but never Italian Beef packages. Wondering if they’re any good that way.

You can order Portillos and they ship it freeze dried (I think) and I have only heard good things.

When I am back home in Chicago we stop at one...the BEST was Johnny's Italian Beef, but the one near my house closed, the dude finally retired and closed up.  The store was no bigger than a garage and had a screen door!!!  Ha...

Dipped, hot and wet...always.  

https://www.portillos.com/index-shop-and-ship.html#Food

Prices are not bad at all.

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Do you get your Portillos from Taste of Chicago, Goldbelly or one of those places?

I’ve ordered Lou Malnati’s pizzas a few times but never Italian Beef packages. Wondering if they’re any good that way.

We buy it directly from portillos web site. 

It comes freezer packed with instructions to finish cooking. 

57 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is so good though!

Finding the bread in the stores is impossible and making the beef at home is a process! 

I've made this in the crock pot a couple of times. It's not the same, but it's close.

Crockpot Chicago-Style Italian Beef and Sausage

6 Italian sausage links

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 pounds thinly sliced, Italian beef deli meat

2 large onions, thinly sliced

2 red peppers, seeded and sliced

6 cloves of garlic, very thinly sliced or minced

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon red chili flakes

1 1/2 cups of beef broth

1 1/2 cups red wine

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Loaf of French bread, cut into six pieces

Jar of giardiniera

Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Place sausage in pan and brown on all sides. Transfer meat to the bowl of a slow-cooker. Add Italian beef, onions, red peppers, garlic, cayenne, paprika, oregano, chili flakes, bay leaves, beef broth, red wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine, cover and cook on low for 4 hours.

To serve, tuck an Italian sausage link, mound of Italian beef and generous drizzle of jus into bread and top with giardiniera

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've made this in the crock pot a couple of times. It's not the same, but it's close.

Crockpot Chicago-Style Italian Beef and Sausage

6 Italian sausage links

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 pounds thinly sliced, Italian beef deli meat

2 large onions, thinly sliced

2 red peppers, seeded and sliced

6 cloves of garlic, very thinly sliced or minced

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon red chili flakes

1 1/2 cups of beef broth

1 1/2 cups red wine

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Loaf of French bread, cut into six pieces

Jar of giardiniera

Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Place sausage in pan and brown on all sides. Transfer meat to the bowl of a slow-cooker. Add Italian beef, onions, red peppers, garlic, cayenne, paprika, oregano, chili flakes, bay leaves, beef broth, red wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine, cover and cook on low for 4 hours.

To serve, tuck an Italian sausage link, mound of Italian beef and generous drizzle of jus into bread and top with giardiniera

I will try this, I have done versions of it in the crockpot too.

Do you have a slicer?  That is the game changer when you cook it in the oven but then you have to let it sit in the fridge forever so that you can slice it thin.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Do you have a slicer?  That is the game changer when you cook it in the oven but then you have to let it sit in the fridge forever so that you can slice it thin.

I don't have a meat slicer. For stuff like this I just use my bear claws and shred the meat.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sharpen your knives fool!

• TBH 1