2023 Fall Camp Notes - Special Teams

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I've seen our kickers over the last 5 years.  and comments about them in practice.  Oh man look at so and so kicking 55 yard FG's.  At least go outside.  

It's the first day of camp.  I am sure the kickers go through all different areas of the field and different angles.  There is also usually special teams work of 11 on 11 at various practice days.  You are seeming like a grump for no reason.

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 5

I know coaches like to pretend that special teams is 1/3 of the game, but they do not spend 1/3 of practice time on it.

Each practiced FG, a live one, is easily going to take 1-2 minutes.  That is with not stopping to correct or coach anything.  You are not blowing 20-30 minutes each practice on that.

Kickers warm up, kick 10-12 kicks, jog, go inside to workout, cool down, chill and then they get called out at the end for some live kicks.  Punters too.

It is not like they are out there kicking 50 yarders for 2 hours.  

• TBH 2
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I know coaches like to pretend that special teams is 1/3 of the game, but they do not spend 1/3 of practice time on it.

Each practiced FG, a live one, is easily going to take 1-2 minutes.  That is with not stopping to correct or coach anything.  You are not blowing 20-30 minutes each practice on that.

Kickers warm up, kick 10-12 kicks, jog, go inside to workout, cool down, chill and then they get called out at the end for some live kicks.  Punters too.

It is not like they are out there kicking 50 yarders for 2 hours.  

If you are doing drill work fine.  I just feel like for kickers where wind is a huge deal you should be kicking where the wind is, outside.  Same for QB's.  Should be doing most of their work outside.  We've been witness to what not tackling in practice leads to in games.  Same principle.  I'm not grumpy.  I don't want to see some media guy hyping up a kicker for kicking 50 yards inside with no wind and nobody in front of him.  Would be like hyping up a QB for completing slants on air.  

• Haha 3
36 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If you are doing drill work fine.  I just feel like for kickers where wind is a huge deal you should be kicking where the wind is, outside.  Same for QB's.  Should be doing most of their work outside.  We've been witness to what not tackling in practice leads to in games.  Same principle.  I'm not grumpy.  I don't want to see some media guy hyping up a kicker for kicking 50 yards inside with no wind and nobody in front of him.  Would be like hyping up a QB for completing slants on air.  

And from one five-second video of the first 30 minutes on the first day of practice, there's no you you can tell that's not what they did or will do.

• Plus1 1