2023 Fall Camp Notes - Special Teams

12 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

You are correct.  But it didn't stop a media guy from saying "hey look, a casual 50 yards"

I mean ... that was definitively accurate. 

It's not like he said "he's going to make every kick his entire career."

Also, pretty sure that was a reference to the fact that he made a similar kick in the state championship game.

• TBH 2

5 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If you are doing drill work fine.  I just feel like for kickers where wind is a huge deal you should be kicking where the wind is, outside.  Same for QB's.  Should be doing most of their work outside.  We've been witness to what not tackling in practice leads to in games.  Same principle.  I'm not grumpy.  I don't want to see some media guy hyping up a kicker for kicking 50 yards inside with no wind and nobody in front of him.  Would be like hyping up a QB for completing slants on air.  

Maybe Rhule had an equipment manager standing next to the thermostat to turn on and off the A/C blower so they could replicate the wind while practicing inside. 

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Maybe Rhule had an equipment manager standing next to the thermostat to turn on and off the A/C blower so they could replicate the wind while practicing inside. 

Could be...Know a few folks we could send to practices for replicating hot air blowing.That should work eh! :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

13 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

You are correct.  But it didn't stop a media guy from saying "hey look, a casual 50 yards"

What is causing you to get your panties in such a bunch?

1) The fact that the kickers were doing kicking drills indoors?  So, I guess every other time doing drills in practice in EVERY sport ever is a waste of time and not meaningful?  You should tell Steph Curry that he shouldn't be shooting so many jumpers in practice because there isn't any one guarding him and it's worthless.  You should tell Nolan Arenado that all of those drills he did to improve his glove work doesn't mean anything because he's not fielding balls in a scrimmage or a game and not on grass.

OR

2)  The fact that the local media had the audacity to record a clip of the kickers doing a few kicks and making a comment about it.  Because, if there was no media coverage at all, I am sure there would be plenty of people b!^@hing about the lack of media coverage allowed by coaching staff.

My recommendation is to lighten up, Francis.  It's a few-second clip of kicking drills during the 1st day of training camp.  That same drill is being done at every other college football program in the country, and consider us lucky that we get any clips from practice so satiate our appetite for football right now.

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What is causing you to get your panties in such a bunch?

1) The fact that the kickers were doing kicking drills indoors?  So, I guess every other time doing drills in practice in EVERY sport ever is a waste of time and not meaningful?  You should tell Steph Curry that he shouldn't be shooting so many jumpers in practice because there isn't any one guarding him and it's worthless.  You should tell Nolan Arenado that all of those drills he did to improve his glove work doesn't mean anything because he's not fielding balls in a scrimmage or a game and not on grass.

OR

2)  The fact that the local media had the audacity to record a clip of the kickers doing a few kicks and making a comment about it.  Because, if there was no media coverage at all, I am sure there would be plenty of people b!^@hing about the lack of media coverage allowed by coaching staff.

My recommendation is to lighten up, Francis.  It's a few-second clip of kicking drills during the 1st day of training camp.  That same drill is being done at every other college football program in the country, and consider us lucky that we get any clips from practice so satiate our appetite for football right now.

I think you are confuse as to how my panties are.  I just find it comical as to that reporter's comment "casually hitting 50 yarders".  Yeah, he's indoors at practice, it should be casual.  Same as in past when reporters/commentators say the kicker was hitting 60 yarders in warm ups.  Who cares they were using a holding stick and nobody in front of them. then in the game they can't hit a 30 yard fg.   

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think you are confuse as to how my panties are.  I just find it comical as to that reporter's comment "casually hitting 50 yarders".  Yeah, he's indoors at practice, it should be casual.  Same as in past when reporters/commentators say the kicker was hitting 60 yarders in warm ups.  Who cares they were using a holding stick and nobody in front of them. then in the game they can't hit a 30 yard fg.   

Dude...it's the first day of practice.  Chill.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2
31 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

What would you have the reporter say?  I'm just curious.

• TBH 1

@MyBloodIsRed16 obviously wouldn't have. had this reaction if the tweet said 'Nebraska kickers kicked field goals in practice yesterday but it was indoors and not simulating live game scenarios and we all know those are totally different' guys come on.

Of course, that would be the most redundant and lacking report you could imagine bc it essentially boils down to, "pRaCtIcEs AnD gAmEs ArE dIfFeReNt!" but I digress

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1