Jeff Sims, the Offensive Struggles, and Overall Physicality

I don’t post often, but I felt like I needed to share my take on Sims and the offensive woes last night…

1. We have the worst receiving core in the conference BY FAR. Might sound like an excuse for Sims, but I didn’t see any receivers getting any separation for the most part. That on top of an oline that can’t protect and QB who’s known to make risky decisions, don’t add up to success.

2. We didn’t hand the ball off to Ervin enough. Even if you take away his one big run, he was still averaging 4.7 yards a carry. FEED HIM! (While I’m a “younger” fan, I’m still a RTDB guy.)

3. Give Sims simpler passing plays like quick RPO’s, screens, and let him work outside of the pocket on rollouts. Our best passing plays came on short routes with the 2 minute offense or when we lined up in heavier formations and used play action. So again, hand the ball off more and then use similar looking plays in the passing game.

Overall take: We looked like a tougher team. We didn’t get pushed around like we have in the past by Minnesota. Last year the Gophers won by ramming the ball down the Blackshirts’ throats. We’re prepared to fight in the trenches, unless we’re throwing the ball.

I think a lot of last nights mistakes can be fixed and we can continue to become a decent team by the year’s end. My guess is 5-7 or 6-6 still. 

#GBR

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

7 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Can't disagree with any of that. Sims has challenges and our current receiving core doesn't have enough legitimate threats to help him out. Along with Irvin, the TE's have to be utilized as well. 

Sims is a garbage QB. Garbage. What a huge whiff by the new coaching staff.

• TBH 2
22 minutes ago, HuskerX said:

You sound disappointed and incredibly frustrated. Understandable. 

In the future don't refer to our players as garbage when interacting with me though please otherwise your commentaries will go ignored. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3
44 minutes ago, HuskerX said:

The coaching staff had to make the choice they made. Scott Frost also figured out that with the line quality and his inability to recruit and develop receivers, the only way to move the ball was to run the QB.

Our staff is smart - they quickly realized this. With very little talent at receiver and a running back room that is mostly average, they got the best dual-threat they could get from the portal and they're going to try and win with his skillset.

I agree with OP - the staff wants to develop a certain pro-style foundation which I understand. However it's evident that this just isn't Jeff Sims skillset. They probably need to limit the receiver route trees, simplify the RPO reads, and roll the pocket a bit more. I know this might run counter to the developmental process for the physical, pro-style offense they want to run. But it's pretty obvious that Sims doesn't see the field (and the OL doesn't protect) well enough to be a pocket passer. We're simply going to have to Iowa our way to 6 wins - grind out games, punt, let the defense keep us in games. Try to be risk averse on offense and see what happens.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

Our defense is going to have to get us to a bowl game this year.

We don't have to be averaging 30 points per game to have the best season we've had in 6 years this season. But the red zone scoring has to improve. When you get down to the opponent's 5 yard line, you have to put it into the end zone.

We really should have put up 21 on the board last night. Those extra 11 points were right there.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, M.A. said:

You sound disappointed and incredibly frustrated. Understandable. 

In the future don't refer to our players as garbage when interacting with me though please otherwise your commentaries will go ignored. 

I labeled him a garbage QB, not a garbage person. Big difference.

And I stand by my original observation.

• Plus1 2

Rhule said that Alberts made comments about wanting power football. I think it's really possible that the staff, for whatever reason, dialed in for a smashmouth QB scheme as opposed to building a scheme for year 1 that maximized the talent they had on the roster.

On the one hand, Sims made so much sense because he came in with two years of eligibility, and Thompson just had the one season left. But they could have found a way to use both guys.

I saw nothing but "one-dimensional" when I watched Sims' film at Georgia Tech. But it's always possible he improves in the passing game.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Undone said:

Rhule said that Alberts made comments about wanting power football. I think it's really possible that the staff, for whatever reason, dialed in for a smashmouth QB scheme as opposed to building a scheme for year 1 that maximized the talent they had on the roster.

On the one hand, Sims made so much sense because he came in with two years of eligibility, and Thompson just had the one season left. But they could have found a way to use both guys.

I saw nothing but "one-dimensional" when I watched Sims' film at Georgia Tech. But it's always possible he improves in the passing game.

Worst starting QB for NU since Solich was fired.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2