Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

Haaberg appears to be floating in completion percentage ranges similar to what he was in high school - he finished seasons with 52.9%, 56.7%, and 54.8% completion percentages. Currently completing 52.1% of his passes. So, he could still improve, and he doesn't have the strongest tools around him, but his accuracy is following the trends he showcased as a younger player.

I do continue to have this itching feeling that, assuming Sims is healthy after the bye week, we'll start to see more of a two QB system.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Haaberg appears to be floating in completion percentage ranges similar to what he was in high school - he finished seasons with 52.9%, 56.7%, and 54.8% completion percentages. Currently completing 52.1% of his passes. So, he could still improve, and he doesn't have the strongest tools around him, but his accuracy is following the trends he showcased as a younger player.

I do continue to have this itching feeling that, assuming Sims is healthy after the bye week, we'll start to see more of a two QB system.

He's not the most accurate passer.

But we also don't seem to run many of the short, quick passes that a lot of QBs get to throw to up their completion percentages: screens, swing passes, etc.  Also, we don't seem to have options to check it down to RBs a lot either.  So that's also part of it.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But we also don't seem to run many of the short, quick passes that a lot of QBs get to throw to up their completion percentages: screens, swing passes, etc.  Also, we don't seem to have options to check it down to RBs a lot either.  So that's also part of it.

Those types of outlets are being held in for max protect to cover for the OL.  Everything is tied together.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

15 of the pass attempts in the Illinois game from the video above shown had outlet options or were designed quick slant/quick out patterns as first reads.   

In fairness to HH, probably half the time a RB had on outside outlet release he was pretty well covered.  The other times, the RB chipped and was available or PA and was open in the vacated MLB area.   

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

15 of the pass attempts in the Illinois game from the video above shown had outlet options or were designed quick slant/quick out patterns as first reads. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you don't know which routes were supposed to be the first reads.

Really only the two speed outs out of the backfield in the red zone were plays that were really easy throws.  Slants and outs aren't what I'm talking about.  Basically throws behind the LOS that are (almost always) uncontested.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you don't know which routes were supposed to be the first reads.

Do I have NU’s playbook? No. Do I understand pass plays and coverage in general? Yeah, I only played the position in college and it’s pretty easy to tell a first read when he literally takes a 1 step drop, stares at the receiver and throws the quick slant or quick out like to Coleman:dunno.  
as

Also, Kinda like the first pass of the game being a first read deep fade based on coverage.  (Well done by him BTW).

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Really only the two speed outs out of the backfield in the red zone were plays that were really easy throws.  Slants and outs aren't what I'm talking about. 

Slants and outs may not be what you are talking about being “really easy throws”, but in the grand scheme of the throws a QB makes,  they are fairly easy throws when the receiver is open (75+ completion percentage type throws).   And again, I say when the receiver is open. Illinois first drive of the game is an example of this.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Really only the two speed outs out of the backfield in the red zone were plays that were really easy throws.  Slants and outs aren't what I'm talking about.  Basically throws behind the LOS that are (almost always) uncontested.

Yeah, I've been saying this for a couple weeks also.

It kind of seems like Satterfield or Rhule like the tunnel screens on third down occasionally, but they don't seem to like them all that much on 1st & 2nd down. Which is fine; I get that Matt wants to be the more physical team, and running downhill gets you to that place where you're wearing your opponent out by the beginning of the 4th quarter a bit better.

But I think the point is, those easier throws pump up the completion % (like @ColoradoHusk was mentioning).

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Slants and outs may not be what you are talking about being “really easy throws”, but in the grand scheme of the throws a QB makes,  they are fairly easy throws when the receiver is open (75+ completion percentage type throws).   And again, I say when the receiver is open. Illinois first drive of the game is an example of this.

Yes but the conversation was originally about completion percentage. So it does matter in that context quite a bit; if your team throws a ton of those passes each game, completion % is higher. As an aside, people would use this against Adrian quite a bit when others would defend his passing ability.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yes but the conversation was originally about completion percentage. So it does matter in that context quite a bit; if your team throws a ton of those passes each game, completion % is higher. As an aside, people would use this against Adrian quite a bit when others would defend his passing ability.

HH is sitting at 52%.   He will almost certainly not be a 68-70% passer no matter what, but it’s certainly likely he could hit the 60-63% completion range by reading the defense better and hitting the over the middle check down to the RB more often in the offense as is.  However , I also would love to see more PA screen passes or a bubble screen or two.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

38 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Do I have NU’s playbook? No. Do I understand pass plays and coverage in general? Yeah, I only played the position in college and it’s pretty easy to tell a first read when he literally takes a 1 step drop, stares at the receiver and throws the quick slant or quick out like to Coleman:dunno.  

He was nowhere close to throwing 15 passes on a one-step drop.  So either you're exaggerating the first number greatly or guessing a lot on who the first read was.

• TBH 2