Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

1 minute ago, lo country said:

The O is a complete crap show for sure.  Injuries at every position, no real QB, young receivers, etc....Then you look at play calling and ask how can you call plays effectively as an OC with all of that.  But at the end of the day, Satt is OC/QB coach.  It's his job to prepare guys mentally and physically for the game in addition to play calling.  Imho, he has shown lacking in all of those.  Did he coach Purdy to ad lib on plays?  Does he allow QB's to do this?  And then seeing Michigan, with Heisman hopeful McCarthy, not throw one pass in the entire 2nd half to eat the clock, run the ball and win the game against PSU says a lot.....Their OC gets "it".  I realize we do not have the talent of UM, but we didn't face the talent of PSU either.....I wasn't a fan of the hire to begin with (a lot of Gamecock family/friends are fans who were delighted he left) and have gotten more so as the season has progressed.  His pressers do not instill me as a guy players would run through a wall for.  But again, that's just me....

You cannot honestly compare NU to Michigan. They have future NFL guys all over their o-line.  It’s easy to line up and run the ball 30 straight times with that line. They were also up 2 scores for most of that Penn State game, where their defense was dominating. It’s easy to be conservative when being in that type of game.  Most OC’s aren’t the “rough and tumble” coaches you seem to want.

I agree that Satt could do a better job coaching and preparing the players and play calling during the game, but at some point the onus goes on the players.  Satterfield’s play calling was good enough to go from NU’s 3 to Maryland’s 6 yard line, but then we know what happened from there. 

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Watching the Purdy int, I’m not convinced that the WR didn’t screw up.  What he did, didn’t make any sense. 

Im of the opinion, at this point, you give Purdy all the reps in practice this week and start him. 

Sims and Haarberg are done. 

I’m looking at that trying to go as slow as possible, does the WR let that ball basically go right past his face?  

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m looking at that trying to go as slow as possible, does the WR let that ball basically go right past his face?  

The pass is a good yard or two in front of Coleman, but he shouldn’t even be near that area. Coleman is supposed to run a hard slant inside and clear take that CB with him.  I think Kemp is also supposed to take that route deeper, so there is more space to deliver the pass. 

Of course, fans wanted Coleman to be playing because of his physical talents, but then they aren’t happy with the results when he messes up on a play. 

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The pass is a good yard or two in front of Coleman, but he shouldn’t even be near that area. Coleman is supposed to run a hard slant inside and clear take that CB with him.  I think Kemp is also supposed to take that route deeper, so there is more space to deliver the pass. 

Of course, fans wanted Coleman to be playing because of his physical talents, but then they aren’t happy with the results when he messes up on a play. 

I’m trying to figure out what the heck Coleman was doing on the play. It looks like he thought he was supposed to be blocking the DB instead of running a hard slant to clear the area. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m trying to figure out what the heck Coleman was doing on the play. It looks like he thought he was supposed to be blocking the DB instead of running a hard slant to clear the area. 

Good question. It’s clear that Coleman may not know what he is supposed to be doing on that play. Of course, Coleman should have been starting in September regardless of how he does in practice or if he knows what he’s supposed to do on every play. 

36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It actually went behind him.  You can see the ball disappear behind Coleman in the second photo.  

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 9.23.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 9.23.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 9.24.07 AM.png

Does it really matter how that play went down?  First and goal from the 5 with about 3:30 left. Most important, you want to run clock, that’s more urgent than scoring. Then you need to ensure points, yet somehow we passed twice in this situation and stopped the clock. Should have dialed up three runs and a field goal if needed. Using the whole click each time

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Good question. It’s clear that Coleman may not know what he is supposed to be doing on that play. Of course, Coleman should have been starting in September regardless of how he does in practice or if he knows what he’s supposed to do on every play. 

I have never been one of those guys that says….just put your best athletes out and let them play  

They have to know what they are supposed to do and they have to prove that in practice.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You cannot honestly compare NU to Michigan. They have future NFL guys all over their o-line.  It’s easy to line up and run the ball 30 straight times with that line. They were also up 2 scores for most of that Penn State game, where their defense was dominating. It’s easy to be conservative when being in that type of game.  Most OC’s aren’t the “rough and tumble” coaches you seem to want.

I agree that Satt could do a better job coaching and preparing the players and play calling during the game, but at some point the onus goes on the players.  Satterfield’s play calling was good enough to go from NU’s 3 to Maryland’s 6 yard line, but then we know what happened from there. 

Hence I qualified my statement regarding the talent level of both, but again we are not UM, but Maryland is not PSU. 

How many of those plays from the 3 to the 6 were passed….. IIRC 1. Satt put the game in the hands of a 3rd string QB who probably hasn’t truly practiced in months. And the play he called put two receivers in the same area. Kemp rounded out his route allowing his guy to jump the route of Coleman. Appears Coleman was pressed at the LOS by the DB. He was delayed, Purdy threw to a spot (inexperience) and got the int. Getting paid 1.4 million, the OC needs to do better. The salary demands he do better. He’s the qb coach as well. Did he not see our two previous qb’s implode?  And still wanted to pass. Again, imho horrible play call and horrible execution by the qb.  Receivers also need a lot of coaching up as well. 

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Hence I qualified my statement regarding the talent level of both, but again we are not UM, but Maryland is not PSU. 

How many of those plays from the 3 to the 6 were passed….. IIRC 1. Satt put the game in the hands of a 3rd string QB who probably hasn’t truly practiced in months. And the play he called put two receivers in the same area. Kemp rounded out his route allowing his guy to jump the route of Coleman. Appears Coleman was pressed at the LOS by the DB. He was delayed, Purdy threw to a spot (inexperience) and got the int. Getting paid 1.4 million, the OC needs to do better. The salary demands he do better. He’s the qb coach as well. Did he not see our two previous qb’s implode?  And still wanted to pass. Again, imho horrible play call and horrible execution by the qb.  Receivers also need a lot of coaching up as well. 

It was Coleman’s defender that intercepted it. 

6 minutes ago, lo country said:

Yes, Satterfield needs to be better. I agree with that.  He’s the adult and should be setting the players up for succes. I am trying to be more of a middle ground approach, and put blame on coaches and players. If you only want to blame coaches, so be it.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, Satterfield needs to be better. I agree with that.  He’s the adult and should be setting the players up for succes. I am trying to be more of a middle ground approach, and put blame on coaches and players. If you only want to blame coaches, so be it.

Sadly enough blame to go around with the whole team. But end of the day coaches gotta know better.