JUCO WR Demond Demas

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, runningblind said:

People keep saying we are out and over the numbers, but why do we assume the staff won't move guys along to make room for talent that wants in?  You find a way if all of a sudden blue chip guys want to sign up.

Apparently this may not be quite as easy as it may seem, and that may have led to some of our numbers crunch this year. 

You can't make guys leave, at least not the ones that were signed out of high school.  They have a four-year guarantee.  You can encourage them to leave but you can't cut them.  That part is probably known.

But apparently it was thought that some guys could be moved to NIL deals.  Word is that's not possible with a recruit you signed out of high school.  I think transfers could be moved to that because they don't get the four-year guarantee.  

It sounds like we thought we may have been able to move a few guys to NIL deals but can't.  So that may be part of the reason why we've parted ways with a couple of the commits - we can't move someone else to NIL to make room for them.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Apparently this may not be quite as easy as it may seem, and that may have led to some of our numbers crunch this year. 

You can't make guys leave, at least not the ones that were signed out of high school.  They have a four-year guarantee.  You can encourage them to leave but you can't cut them.  That part is probably known.

But apparently it was thought that some guys could be moved to NIL deals.  Word is that's not possible with a recruit you signed out of high school.  I think transfers could be moved to that because they don't get the four-year guarantee.  

It sounds like we thought we may have been able to move a few guys to NIL deals but can't.  So that may be part of the reason why we've parted ways with a couple of the commits - we can't move someone else to NIL to make room for them.

Makes sense on some of the difficulties.  When do we have to get down to 88/85?  There is some time to get creative or work on some movement right?

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I heard - but haven't confirmed - that new coaches can cut scholarships to players they didn't sign.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I heard - but haven't confirmed - that new coaches can cut scholarships to players they didn't sign.

The window is apparently still open for guys to "retire" from football but still keep their scholarship with the school.  

I'm unsure if that is just an option or if you can force guys to do that.

39 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I think this period has come & gone as this the start of Rhule 2nd yr. 

Rhule mentioned in the McAfee interview that the Retire option is still on the table for several players.  I think he said there was a week or two remaining to make that happen.  I don't recall the specifics.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

True, but 4 - 5 yr. Sr are coming back. We are currently at 95 & I'm sure we will be picking up 3 to 4 players. 

That's assuming that all that are committed are still committed.  We just saw one today move to a different school.  I'm assuming others may follow.  Getting down another 8-10 players isn't going to to tough over the summer.  (Remember this is what Husker fans have been wanting for quite awhile.  oversign, and process out the dead weight as well as we can.)

18 minutes ago, soup said:

That's assuming that all that are committed are still committed.  We just saw one today move to a different school.  I'm assuming others may follow.  Getting down another 8-10 players isn't going to to tough over the summer.  (Remember this is what Husker fans have been wanting for quite awhile.  oversign, and process out the dead weight as well as we can.)

No, this includes decommits & players leaving for any reason that we currently know of.  I'm sure the coaching staff has a plan.