We should accept a bowl given the chance

BoSolich

2 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Nebraska is ranked 67th in APR which is 7th of the 5 win teams according to what I saw on Twitter.   Plus, James Madison and Jacksonville State will probably get spots. I'm not sure how it all works, but the chances seem almost non-existent. 

I’m not counting on it at all.  But do bowls have to invite teams in order of APR finish, or just make sure it is “good enough”  to not raise to many eyebrows?

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’m not counting on it at all.  But do bowls have to invite teams in order of APR finish, or just make sure it is “good enough”  to not raise to many eyebrows?

If I recall correctly from the previous time we qualified as a 5-win team, they are required to start at the top of the list and work down.

39 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Is it APR for the entire school, just the student athletes, or just Nebraska football?  Apparently, the kids took academics more seriously around Pelini's time.

it's just the football team.  but transfers play a huge part.    if they stay academically eligible...they apparently earn points for their former school. and it's averaged over a few years so us relying on so many transfers is why our apr is reduced now compared to then

Division I transfer college athletes will earn Academic Progress Rate points for their previous teams if they are meeting Division I progress-toward-degree requirements when they change schools. The Division I Board of Directors on Wednesday ratified a decision made last week by the Division I Committee on Academics.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2021/8/4/general-di-board-adopts-apr-change-for-transfers.aspx

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, funhusker said:

Why is it when fans of other teams come here to bash the Huskers it’s called trolling.  But when “fans” do it, they want to act like they are somehow more dedicated fans???

I am serious on my opinion that a losing team shouldn’t go to a bowl. But really, I’m just exhausted by it. Every other team with any history of success in the past 50 years has been able to bounce back except us. Even Washington is back to being great. It’s absolutely demoralizing. And before you all say it’s just Rhule’s first year, it’s not the losses. It’s how it came about. Stupid mental mistakes. Turnovers. The same crap that should be fixed day one that hasn’t been fixed for 21 years. Why should that inspire any hope? I accepted that our QBs sucked. I accepted the weaknesses. That’s not the issue. The issue is that they keep beating themselves. Every season, every game that’s the story: they beat themselves. That is why I’m concerned. We’ve seen this before.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, presidentjlh said:

I am serious on my opinion that a losing team shouldn’t go to a bowl. But really, I’m just exhausted by it. Every other team with any history of success in the past 50 years has been able to bounce back except us. Even Washington is back to being great. It’s absolutely demoralizing. And before you all say it’s just Rhule’s first year, it’s not the losses. It’s how it came about. Stupid mental mistakes. Turnovers. The same crap that should be fixed day one that hasn’t been fixed for 21 years.

How would you fix those issues in one day?

Seriously.  What should the first practice of the year be structured like to fix those issues?

• TBH 1
Just now, funhusker said:

How would you fix those issues in one day?

Seriously.  What should the first practice of the year be structured like to fix those issues?

I have seen other programs quickly fix these issues so I don’t want to hear it. You would expect at least some improvement yes? Worst turnover margin in the country. That’s inexcusable.

17 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Not sure in the time of equality and NIL and all of the rigmarole why there is still a bowl requirement to allow for continued practice. Let all schools practice until December 20th. Why should the teams good enough to make continue to have and advantage over the horrible programs? 

This might be the worst take ever. Because. That's why. Nobody cares about any bowl game anymore outside of the playoffs. The benefit is for additional practice, recruiting and the players come home with a bit of swag. Remove that incentive and it completes the destruction of college football. Sorry, I can't get behind your suggestion. We don't deserve a bowl game, we don't get to keep practicing. We have to get better. Win one more game. That is not a hard concept.

Just now, funhusker said:

How did they fix them?

I don’t know, but they clearly did something we didn’t. Again, the season one excuse only goes so far. Look if we just got beat in each of the final four losses, fine. I’ll grant Wisconsin, we didn’t turn it over. But Maryland, MSU, Iowa? Inexcusable. Inexcusable to lose like that, shooting ourselves in the foot. Those are not losses that happen with good coaching. Now maybe Rhule does turn it around. Great. But right now, my confidence isn’t there because I saw a team that made zero improvement in the mental department. Good our defense was good. That’s great. I wanted most of all to see a team that STOPS BEATING ITSELF EVERY GAME. Hell, win just one of MSU, MD, Iowa, Minnesota. It’s not even the losing season. It’s the way we lose. It’s been years of this. Decades of this.

• Haha 1

Jacksonville State absolutely earned the right to play in a bowl. They moved up to FBS and won 11 games. Georgia State is 6-6 and similarly moved up. They earned it too. We, on the other hand, do not. Pure and simple. Do better, play better. Winning 1 more game was all that was necessary and we couldn't do that. Season is over.

Let Rhule do his thing. Expect improvement next year. Does that mean better fundamentals? I think so, does it mean players buying into his system, definitely. He needs to rebuild this thing from the frame up. That much is clear. Let him cook.

1 minute ago, presidentjlh said:

I don’t know, but they clearly did something we didn’t. Again, the season one excuse only goes so far. Look if we just got beat in each of the final four losses, fine. I’ll grant Wisconsin, we didn’t turn it over. But Maryland, MSU, Iowa? Inexcusable. Inexcusable to lose like that, shooting ourselves in the foot. Those are not losses that happen with good coaching. Now maybe Rhule does turn it around. Great. But right now, my confidence isn’t there because I saw a team that made zero improvement in the mental department. Good our defense was good. That’s great. I wanted most of all to see a team that STOPS BEATING ITSELF EVERY GAME. Hell, win just one of MSU, MD, Iowa, Minnesota. It’s not even the losing season. It’s the way we lose. It’s been years of this. Decades of this.

Something should be fixed in day one, but you don’t have any idea how.

got it.  I’m sure to value your posts.  I’m sure it isn’t just empty whining born out of frustration…

:sarcasm

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3