2024 NFL Draft

Mavric

How's everyone feeling about their team's picks last night?

Cowboys added some value by trading back and got the guy they seemed to want all along. I do worry that he played RT almost exclusively. Although he didn't allow a sack last year.

Bo Nix time in Denver... Seemed a little high but sounds like that's they Payton wanted @Mavric

49ers took a WR? Have to get @Guy Chamberlin's take on that

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
27 minutes ago, GSG said:

How's everyone feeling about their team's picks last night?

Cowboys added some value by trading back and got the guy they seemed to want all along. I do worry that he played RT almost exclusively. Although he didn't allow a sack last year.

Bo Nix time in Denver... Seemed a little high but sounds like that's they Payton wanted @Mavric

49ers took a WR? Have to get @Guy Chamberlin's take on that

Loved what Philly was able to get.  Was some talk about moving up to the early teens to get Mitchell, or "settle" for DeJean at 22. To think that Mitchell fell in our lap at 22 is amazing.  We'll see how tonight goes, hearing that there is a possibility of packaging our 2 second round picks and moving into the first few picks to get Edgerrin Cooper, but there is also a strong want for Javon Bullard.  Cooper is probably gone before 50, Bullard is right around 50. I personally would love for us to get Maason Smith or Kris Jenkins and pair that with Bullard. If we can do that, I'll consider it another great night.  If we can't get one of those two DTs, I see S and highest LB/CB on our board.

Not a 49er fan, but considering their top 3 WRs are all on their last year of their current deal, solid pick up for a team that doesn't have a lot of current holes/needs.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, GSG said:

The consensus seemed to be that 12 was too high for Nix but I don't think they had much choice, especially after the Falcons drafted Penix (?????).  It would have been nice to trade down 8-10 spots and still get Nix or Penix but the Raiders were heavily rumored to be looking to draft a QB as well and there was too much risk. 

Payton was going to get a QB.  It seemed like he may have preferred McCarthy but liked Nix almost as well.  There was talk of the Broncos trading up to take McCarthy but given all the picks they've given up over the last few years, not having to do that and still getting someone you want is probably about as good as they hoped for.

I like that Nix started a ton of games in college.  One-year wonders don't seem to work out very well.  There seem to be a lot of questions about how his experience will translate to the NFL ("all he did was throw bubble screens").  Only 44 of his 398 attempts were more than 20 yards downfield.  But he was still very efficient on those throws (52.3%, 12 TDs, 1 INT).  And 37 TDs with 2 INTs is awfully good.  The NFL is an accuracy game.  You have to be able to stretch the field to loosen things up but being able to put most passes where they need to be is paramount.  Nix seems to be good at that.

I actually would have been good with any of Nix, Penix or McCarthy.  And the Broncos had to do something to try to get the QB spot figured out.  So it seems to have worked out about as well as it could have.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

40 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The consensus seemed to be that 12 was too high for Nix but I don't think they had much choice, especially after the Falcons drafted Penix (?????).  It would have been nice to trade down 8-10 spots and still get Nix or Penix but the Raiders were heavily rumored to be looking to draft a QB as well and there was too much risk. 

Payton was going to get a QB.  It seemed like he may have preferred McCarthy but liked Nix almost as well.  There was talk of the Broncos trading up to take McCarthy but given all the picks they've given up over the last few years, not having to do that and still getting someone you want is probably about as good as they hoped for.

I like that Nix started a ton of games in college.  One-year wonders don't seem to work out very well.  There seem to be a lot of questions about how his experience will translate to the NFL ("all he did was throw bubble screens").  Only 44 of his 398 attempts were more than 20 yards downfield.  But he was still very efficient on those throws (52.3%, 12 TDs, 1 INT).  And 37 TDs with 2 INTs is awfully good.  The NFL is an accuracy game.  You have to be able to stretch the field to loosen things up but being able to put most passes where they need to be is paramount.  Nix seems to be good at that.

I actually would have been good with any of Nix, Penix or McCarthy.  And the Broncos had to do something to try to get the QB spot figured out.  So it seems to have worked out about as well as it could have.

Unbelievable - no faith in Russell Zach Wilson? :lol:

I saw the Nix pick was on Kiper's "headscratchers" but I think he's pretty good. Maybe the pick was a little high, but like you said, they don't have much collateral to deal with for trading picks.

McCarthy is one that I don't get the hype. He reminds me of the old Bama QBs where he was just asked to not screw up because the defense and running game would take care of the rest.

We'll find out in a few months I guess.

• Plus1 1

RE: Taking a pick too high

I don't know about anyone else, but this is one of those annoying things draft analysts say every year.

Mathing it out, it makes sense on the surface. You value a player at a certain spot and don't want to spend any more than you need to get that pick. The logic breaks down when you quickly realize you have picks at set intervals. Usually that is 32 picks apart, but in Denver's case they didn't have a 2nd round pick, so that pick is now 64 picks apart. Is Bo Nix still there at 76? Probably not. That leaves the option of trading down/up to maximize your pick slot.

The only thing more annoying is everyone suggesting a team should trade down. Everyone knows trading down is usually a high value play, and because of that, very few teams want to trade up. One of the few positions worth trading up for, especially in this draft, is QB.

Denver didn't have a lot of options here and everyone knew that when Russ was cut. As the draft got closer and closer and it became more and more apparent a lot of QBs would go early, Denver had their hands tied as to what choice of QB they may get. The didn't have the draft capital to move around the board, and they were pretty desperate for a QB. The fact next year's QB class doesn't look great also likely played a big part in many teams making the QB decisions they did.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, brophog said:

I don't know about anyone else, but this is one of those annoying things draft analysts say every year.

Mathing it out, it makes sense on the surface. You value a player at a certain spot and don't want to spend any more than you need to get that pick. The logic breaks down when you quickly realize you have picks at set intervals. Usually that is 32 picks apart, but in Denver's case they didn't have a 2nd round pick, so that pick is now 64 picks apart. Is Bo Nix still there at 76? Probably not. That leaves the option of trading down/up to maximize your pick slot.

The only thing more annoying is everyone suggesting a team should trade down. Everyone knows trading down is usually a high value play, and because of that, very few teams want to trade up. One of the few positions worth trading up for, especially in this draft, is QB.

Denver didn't have a lot of options here and everyone knew that when Russ was cut. As the draft got closer and closer and it became more and more apparent a lot of QBs would go early, Denver had their hands tied as to what choice of QB they may get. The didn't have the draft capital to move around the board, and they were pretty desperate for a QB. The fact next year's QB class doesn't look great also likely played a big part in many teams making the QB decisions they did.

I pretty much agree with you on all of that.

There is merit to the "value" arguments.  But there is also a lot of value in getting the best guy you can - or the guy you like the most - when you can get him.  

The Raiders drafted Sebastian Janikowski in the first round.  Is that too high for a kicker?  Almost assuredly.  But he was a pretty good kicker for them for 18 years.  There were a ton of draft picks over that time that didn't ever do anything for the team that drafted them.  So they got a lot of value out of that pick.

• Plus1 1

Turns out there's a lotta drama in the Niners pick. They are currently in negotiations with their #1 WR, Aiyuk, who is holding out much like Nick Bosa and Deebo Samuel did, although everyone figured it was posturing and the deal would be made, as it was with Bosa and Samuel. 

Then they grab this Pearsall guy, despite there being several WRs on the board rated higher. Turns out Pearsall is built a lot like Deebo Samuel. And now this is being interpreted as a clear sign that the Niners will make a deal with Aiyuk and trade Deebo, who they just resigned to a large contract. Too bad, because I love Deebo. Every Niner fans loves Deebo. A real difference maker, especially with Shanahan designing a playbook around him. 

It's simply a money crunch. Niners already have too much all-star talent to pay accordingly, and next year they will have to pay Brock Purdy at the QB market rate. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Then they grab this Pearsall guy, despite there being several WRs on the board rated higher.

There are a lot of people in the league that really like Pearsall. I don't know what it'll mean for their salary cap issues with those other guys, but this is considered by many to be a very good pick.

• TBH 1

Rushville was our biggest rival growing up. I played against Stoffer his sophomore and junior seasons. He was an incredible athlete. I also pitched against him my middle school years 3x and dude jacked one on me but we won all 3x's. Kelly was well liked in all the neighboring towns. That Rushville class of 82 was really talented. The Hinn family was really athletic and Rushville also had 2 really good lineman. Rushville own us in 81 and reached the C1 Quarterfinals, Crawford owned them in 82 (though I didn't play football my senior year, focused on Rodeo Club instead) and then was rolled in the quarters by Silver Creek.

• Oh Yeah! 2
23 hours ago, brophog said:

Like you said, value in the pick.  Because the gap to the next guy is A LOT.

• Worth a Look 1
26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Because the gap to the next guy is A LOT.

And the guy on the backside of that gap is a former top QB prospect whom, at times, can look better than everybody else. I think he just fell to the point where his potential is so high someone has to take that chance.