Rhule Post Season Presser

Red Five

1 hour ago, 559Husker said:

The issue with going old school is that you want an already pretty good QB wanting to play for NU.  However, and I don't keep up with the latest and greatest with recruits, but I don't see many four/five star QBs who are wanting to come to Nebraska.   NU certainly has money to spend.  Winning cures all.  It's possible if they spend now and find success, that will attract future recruits.   Could we even trust Rhule with finding a QB in the portal after the Sims fiasco?

The sims fiasco rest squarely on Satterfields shoulders

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I'd expect that kind of a response from Frost's ghost. The buck stops with the HC, period. No more finger pointing with our HC, just the thumb.

He was Satterfields hand picked guy. But you’re right Rhule should have watched some tape and said “no, bad Marcus!” 

And the only person that gets to tell me what to do with my fingers or thumb is my wife. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I don't expect any staff to be let go, but I am interested to see what changes, if any, Rhule makes with assignments or potential hires.  He spoke to really examining all aspects and looking at what I assume are non-paid analysts to assist.  O really needs some help (TO's and QB play).  

You don’t expect any staff changes, but you expect Rhule to comment on who he wants to hire?

Im confused. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

He was Satterfields hand picked guy. But you’re right Rhule should have watched some tape and said “no, bad Marcus!” 

It was Rhule's connection to and recommendation from Geoff Collins that generated interest in Sims.  What Rhule probably should have asked himself was why Key, the coach who recruited Sims, his former OC, & new HC wanted to move on from him.  Rhule took some big swings on reclamation projects in year one, they each bombed miserably, hopefully he is done taking rehab projects.  

• Thanks 1

6’4 220lb athlete who has in game experience in the P5 against good competition. Runs like a deer and throws decent. Can join in time for spring ball, summer and fall camp.  Decent stats but needs a little tweaking. Has 2 years to play also. 

I would be on board for that type of signing. 
Sims got the yips. Much like our former TE who moved to center and couldn’t snap a ball in shotgun safely for over a year.  Like, we literally win 4 more games if he doesn’t snap ball over 2AM head for the whole season. 

Sims was a great addition to our team on paper and has very good tools. He just couldn’t put it together, hence the “curse” of N football. The team rallied and started to win and believe. That was so positive.  
Now Rhule see’s our deficiencies, has time to fully recruit (looks good so far), reassess, regroup, and keep the rebuild. I’m looking forward to next year already. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2
9 hours ago, floridacorn said:

It was Rhule's connection to and recommendation from Geoff Collins that generated interest in Sims.  What Rhule probably should have asked himself was why Key, the coach who recruited Sims, his former OC, & new HC wanted to move on from him.  Rhule took some big swings on reclamation projects in year one, they each bombed miserably, hopefully he is done taking rehab projects.  

Thanks for the clarification, I had read that it was Satterfield that pushed hard to get him. Don’t remember where but yeah, the interwebs

The whole Sims thing is extremely frustrating in how it turned out.  However, I'm not going to hold it over the staff's heads too much because they had to find a QB very quickly and without being in the college game to be able to know various players.  He took a recommendation.  It didn't work out.

Now, this year, is different.  We need a good QB and they should have had time to study who they want and don't want.  Let's hope they get who they really want and not have to settle for someone quite a ways down the list.

• Plus1 4
16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You don’t expect any staff changes, but you expect Rhule to comment on who he wants to hire?

Im confused. 

I don't expect any changing ie he's not firing anyone.  Talking about changing responsibilities on the staff.  Potential hires (QB coach) and/or interns analysts.  Mentioned looking at rules concerning unpaid staff.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

For the people who think good coaches win immediately. 

Some FSU fans were calling for his head early on.  He can coach.  4 years of winning records at Memphis.  Good track record.  And FSU would (i'd assume) be much easier to recruit than Memphis.  I like Rhule and his record of improving a team.  Just wonder if he could have kept that level of success as he appears to rebuild and move on.  Hoping if he gets us back, he stays.  The norm is several years to flip.  Not year one.  And we were just a QB away from seeing a big change in our W-L record in year one.  For me, this makes the 5-7 record sting...Those last for games were "right" there".  

5 hours ago, lo country said:

Some FSU fans were calling for his head early on.  He can coach.  4 years of winning records at Memphis.  Good track record.  And FSU would (i'd assume) be much easier to recruit than Memphis.  I like Rhule and his record of improving a team.  Just wonder if he could have kept that level of success as he appears to rebuild and move on.  Hoping if he gets us back, he stays.  The norm is several years to flip.  Not year one.  And we were just a QB away from seeing a big change in our W-L record in year one.  For me, this makes the 5-7 record sting...Those last for games were "right" there".  

Agree. But, this with Novell was his second year at FSU.  Can you image what Husker fans will be like if they happens again next year?

• Oh Yeah! 1