shift8 *** Official CFB Playoff Game Thread *** shift8

Of course I'm happy when the SEC loses. But why don't I root for my team's conference? 

Forgive me, but I did think Iowa getting blanked by Tennessee was funny.

I was also rooting for Bowling Green to beat Minnesota, which they almost did. 

And yet I tip my hat to Northwestern, which salvaged a perfectly legitimate season out of a total dumpster fire.  Nice to know it can happen. 

I don't totally hate Michigan, but I like Kalen DeBoer and Washington much better. 

• TBH 2

17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Of course I'm happy when the SEC loses. But why don't I root for my team's conference? 

And yet I tip my hat to Northwestern, which salvaged a perfectly legitimate season out of a total dumpster fire.  Nice to know it can happen. 

I don't totally hate Michigan, but I like Kalen DeBoer and Washington much better. 

‘Cause it still doesn’t feel quite like Nebraska’s conference. But not any less than the Big 12 did IMO. I never liked cheering for Texas. 

The other thing is Michigan is a blue blood and I think it’s natural to want other teams to win championships. 

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Somebody's salty. (NSFW language)

Reveal hidden contents

Lol although I do appreciate the hidden comment NSFW 

Well SEC and Bama, I can help you out.

Next time the game is on the line, with 4 wideouts, and while motioning your only RB out of the back field..... Perhaps don't let everybody on the field know it's a QB draw.  And everyone in the stadium too.  And everyone watching 

That way you can't blame how you failed on something else. :)

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well I do hate them, and I hope they get their comeuppance, but they probably won't. Either way they get bent.

Washington played their game for 3 quarters.  The flow, the tempo, the air assault and attacking. They played like they gave no s#!ts because it's what they did all year.

They played the 4th quarter more timidly at times.  Nearly got burnt.  

Great game and ending. That DB saves the day on a catchable pass in the endzone 

1 hour ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

Did Rhule advise Washington on clock management at the end?  That was brutal

It was SOP clock management; run it down to about :25 before punting. But the Washington player got hurt on the third down and Washington was forced to stop the clock.  Gave Texas a free :30 or so that made all the difference. I would have felt really sorry for the injured player who almost cost his team the game, no fault of his own. 

• TBH 2
6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

this was before the last :01 play.

Honestly, I never had an issue with them putting one second back on the clock against Nebraska.  Watching it live, when the ball hit the stands I looked at the clock and still saw one second left.  I expected them to put that second back on the whole time.

We screwed up way too many times leading up to that to blame the one second.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It was SOP clock management; run it down to about :25 before punting. But the Washington player got hurt on the third down and Washington was forced to stop the clock.  Gave Texas a free :30 or so that made all the difference. I would have felt really sorry for the injured player who almost cost his team the game, no fault of his own. 

Before the last field goal that Washington had.  There was zero reason to throw on third down. It saved Texas a timeout. A timeout that led to the injury.

20 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

Before the last field goal that Washington had.  There was zero reason to throw on third down. It saved Texas a timeout. A timeout that led to the injury.

The injury and time out came on Washington's last possession, which did not involve a field goal, just the three rushing plays and the punt. Maybe they had a third down pass on the previous drive. I don't remember. 

The best possible way to manage the clock is to keep getting first downs. Three safe predictable runs can burn clock and the other team's timeouts, but they can also give the other team the ball back with just enough time. A team that's racked up hundreds of yards passing all game isn't necessarily being reckless when it calls a quick, safe pass play that gets the first down and seals the deal.  

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The injury and time out came on Washington's last possession, which did not involve a field goal, just the three rushing plays and the punt. Maybe they had a third down pass on the previous drive. I don't remember. 

The incomplete pass was on the previous possession.

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The best possible way to manage the clock is to keep getting first downs. Three safe predictable runs can burn clock and the other team's timeouts, but they can also give the other team the ball back with just enough time. A team that's racked up hundreds of yards passing all game isn't necessarily being reckless when it calls a quick, safe pass play that gets the first down and seals the deal.  

Agreed.  Keep the ball.  Win the game.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Honestly, I never had an issue with them putting one second back on the clock against Nebraska.  Watching it live, when the ball hit the stands I looked at the clock and still saw one second left.  I expected them to put that second back on the whole time.

We screwed up way too many times leading up to that to blame the one second.  

Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists

image.jpeg.73b70bf7eb5962b5b649b60070bd7157.jpeg

• Haha 3
14 hours ago, Mavric said:

The incomplete pass was on the previous possession.

Agreed.  Keep the ball.  Win the game.

I've never heard of people talking about clock management on the 3rd to last drive.  That being said Penix threw it away and should have just taken a sack or even run oob under the newfangled rule.