Changes to the Transfer Portal?

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Uhhh….coaches already have employment contracts. Not sure what your point was but I’d be okay with players doing similar contracts.

I thought you were referring to the idea that once they signed to a school they can't leave. 

What would be a buyout for a player to transfer?

Just now, BlackHillsHusker said:

I thought you were referring to the idea that once they signed to a school they can't leave. 

What would be a buyout for a player to transfer?

My initial point was that currently “commitment” means very little. Players seem to commit to 2-3-4 places before they end up anywhere.  My other point is that the current, virtually limitless transfers is not sustainable nor is it conducive to maintaining loyal fanbases. It would be really nice if some NCAAlike organization were in charge and had some fair and reasonable rules that would help tame all the school hopping and no holds barred NIL deals. Right now the whole deal is the wild west and it’s ruined what differentiated college ball from the pros. Some of the genies aren’t going back in the bottle but it all could use some organization and limits. 

But I’m just an old timer that misses the good ole days when I enjoyed being a fan of a school based team rather than a collection of free agent mercs.

• Fire 3
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Uhhh….coaches already have employment contracts. Not sure what your point was but I’d be okay with players doing similar contracts.

I’ve never really understood this.  

In professional sports, the coach can leave anytime they want…..with certain compensation considerations that I think are also in college contracts. 

Professional organizations own the rights to a player for x number of years until the player has been around long enough to be a free agent. 

I don’t know any professional sport where the players can just hop from team to team whenever they want. 

• Plus1 2

From Dave Portny on FB:

"Nil should work exactly like the NFL except you can't cut players. Salary cap for each team. Sign whoever you want to 1 through 4 year deals. That would solve for portal. It prob makes way too much sense to ever happen"

I also like the idea of the Portal opens after bowl games. Not at the end of the season.  Kirby was correct in that you now recruit HS players, work the NIL deals, recruit the portal and continually recruit to keep the kids you have on the roster.  My thoughts it turns into a year long constant endeavor.  Probably need to end the "dead period" completely.   Pretty confident that teams use "cut outs" to contact guys during dead periods anyway.  Just make it a business.  Quit pretending it's about student athletes.  Regulate and protect both the school, the athletes and the investors.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ve never really understood this.  

In professional sports, the coach can leave anytime they want…..with certain compensation considerations that I think are also in college contracts. 

Professional organizations own the rights to a player for x number of years until the player has been around long enough to be a free agent. 

I don’t know any professional sport where the players can just hop from team to team whenever they want. 

That professional sport you don’t know about, where players can hop from team to team willy nilly, it’s now referred to as college football :D

48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder what their explanation is as to why the transfer rules are bad and no problem with contracts in other pro sports that prohibit players from changing teams. 

The 2nd tweet explains why, in pro sports the rules are collectively bargained between the players and owners and thus not covered by anti-trust laws. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
  • 2 months later...