WHAT IF?? Alternative Husker History

On 2/5/2024 at 9:10 AM, TGHusker said:

What if...... he accepted the job offer to coach at Colorado :bluffsin 1977?

I want to address this one.  Most of us probably cannot remember who might have been available to coach Nebraska if Tom had left.   If Tom left, would it had been Colorado who would have had the great run through the 80s and 90s or would that have been a steeper hill to climb as they had less history - not having the Devaney years prior to build off of.  

My speculation is that Tom would have been looked at as 'that coach that follows a legend' who is set up to fail.  He would have been Frank 1.0.   Tom goes off to Colorado and then the next great coach comes in without the pressure of the legend on top of him - kind of like where Matt Rhule is at now. Much easier to follow a Scott Frost than a Tom Osborne.  Nebraska unfortunately has had too many coaches with the Osborne shadow on them - all trying to get out from underneath it.  I think we've finally broken the 'Osborne Curse' if you will.  The curse of following a legend.  That is why I have hope in Rhule's take it slow, and build methodically approach. 

Back to the original "What If" - I can't remember who might have been available back in 1977 if Tom had left. 

Perhaps Bobby Bowden - however he went to FSU the year before.  Too late 

Lou Holtz:  Went to Arkansas in 1977

Danny Ford - became interim HC of Clemson in 78 and went on the win the NC vs Nebraska in 81

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This What If is a tough one:  What if.... Frank had beaten Texas :hookerhorns in 1999 (lost fumble crossing goal line on what would have been the winning TD) and won the NC, would that have prevented his firing 4 years later?

I think it would be pretty difficult for Peterson to have fired Frank in 2003 if he had one the NC in 1999.  If we had not fumbled against Texas, I think we beat either VT or FSU in the NC game.  Perhaps that also elevates Frank's image nationally and we get better recruits and we never experience that 7-7 year in 2002.  And maybe we don't get blown out by Colorado in 2001.   Regardless, Peterson was wrong to have fired Frank when he had a 9-3 team.  Maybe Frank doesn't win another NC but he is able to maintain the program for 8-12 more years and sets up Bo to take over the program without the BC stain on it. 

• Plus1 2
18 hours ago, TGHusker said:

This What If is a tough one:  What if.... Frank had beaten Texas :hookerhorns in 1999 (lost fumble crossing goal line on what would have been the winning TD) and won the NC, would that have prevented his firing 4 years later?

I think it would be pretty difficult for Peterson to have fired Frank in 2003 if he had one the NC in 1999.  If we had not fumbled against Texas, I think we beat either VT or FSU in the NC game.  Perhaps that also elevates Frank's image nationally and we get better recruits and we never experience that 7-7 year in 2002.  And maybe we don't get blown out by Colorado in 2001.   Regardless, Peterson was wrong to have fired Frank when he had a 9-3 team.  Maybe Frank doesn't win another NC but he is able to maintain the program for 8-12 more years and sets up Bo to take over the program without the BC stain on it. 

I don't think Bo would have taken over the program if the bolded happened. I think it really turned away quality coaches when the university showed they weren't willing to be patient or reasonable if a coach had a couple of rough seasons. Who the hell wants to coach for a university that fires a coach after a 9 win season? 

23 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I don't think Bo would have taken over the program if the bolded happened. I think it really turned away quality coaches when the university showed they weren't willing to be patient or reasonable if a coach had a couple of rough seasons. Who the hell wants to coach for a university that fires a coach after a 9 win season? 

But yet Bo did come back when Tom called.  He saw this as his opportunity to be a HC moving up from DC.   Too bad we didn't get the other DC when Tom retired -- Bob Stoops

27 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

image.jpeg.418a25b4b61de23be14b4c44df7052c1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2474bbed0d2e67698986d09618013a30.jpeg

• Haha 1
On 2/7/2024 at 7:45 AM, knapplc said:

What if Matt Davison doesn't catch the TD against Missouri in 1997? Does Osborne still retire? Osborne waited until after the regular season, when Nebraska was assured of playing for a share of the national championship, before announcing his retirement. Does he reconsider, knowing the talent he had on the roster, to try for another title in 1998? 

Honestly, in that scenario, he probably waits until '99; with all others being equal, if TO's on the sideline in '99, we have another national title. 

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Honestly, in that scenario, he probably waits until '99; with all others being equal, if TO's on the sideline in '99, we have another national title. 

I agree 100% with this.   Probably our best team to not win the NC - that or the 82 team.  83 - great offense but very suspect D. 

• Plus1 1

Another What If:   What if Tom hired Turner Gill instead of Bo back in 2007?   As it was, Turner was doing well at Buffalo- pretty much improving each year - winning CC in his 3rd year - but digressed his 4th year.  He did end up getting a P5 gig at Kansas - that lasted only 2 seasons.  I think Kansas gave up on him too soon.  He then did decently at Liberty. 

At the time of Bo's hiring - the defense was the top need but many fans were hoping to bring back a Husker fan favorite.  

Personally, I don't think Turner was ready for big time Nebraska coaching.  Bo wasn't ready either.  Turner's overall coaching record ended up being 72-84.  I think the program got more milage out of Bo than what we would have gotten out of Gill.   Maybe Gill could have been a good OC for us.  :dunno

13 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

What if the four team playoff had been a thing during the 80s?

In '83 the Canes don't even get in. Remember they were ranked #5 before the Orange Bowl.

Nebraska gets into the playoff 4-5 times in the 80’s

On 2/11/2024 at 1:33 PM, knapplc said:

Two things I remember about that game (which have nothing to do with this conversation) are the circus catches the TT receivers made over and over. Fingertips on the ball? Catch. Blanket coverage? Catch. One of the only times that happened to that defense.

The other thing I remember was the TT Guard (whose name I forget) who really slowed Suh down. One of the very few players to single-handedly have such a huge effect on Suh. Kept their QB comfortable in the pocket most of the game.

The fun thing about that game is that it showed the future concerns Bo would have with his defense. It was really good and it put a lot on the offense to have the right plays/formations/packages to exploit it or a superior talented player/running QB that can't be schemed away. TT QB was a backup and "Sticks" made us look foolish. It was a symptom of a larger problem that would turn into a flood gate late into his tenure. Mike Leach doesn't care about how well you run fit and pass off coverage, if you are predictable in coverage he has you beat. 

Them came Gilbert Grape :hookerhorns magically finding legs (starting the trend of less mobile QB's finding a running game when facing us) in '10, Wisky using motion to destroy our fits for almost a decade (408), and back at LSU, getting ripped up for gaudy numbers in an environment that has gone completely away from the pro-set NFL (where his system was made in the fire and was usually most successful) type league that he feasted on (QB graveyard) and everyone and their dog run RPO's and highly value flexibility in their play calling. 

• Thanks 1