College Football/BB & NFL TV announcers /Crews

admo

We have been watching college football games every Saturday, and some Thursdays too. 

But also, we watch NFL games on Sunday, Monday & Thursdays.  

If you don't like an announcer or analyst, this is the place to dump on them.

Sometimes you have just grown tired of them. 

Sometimes they get too loud emotionally.

Sometimes they create drama when there isn't drama.

Sometimes you want to watch a game and put them on mute.

Sometimes they are biased and it shows who they are "pulling for to win".

And sometimes you want something new and fresh but realize it doesn't always make it better.

Edited by admo
Added College Basketball
  • Plus1 2

These guys have been doing it for 2 decades.... some 25 - 40 years.  

They have been the audio waves in your ear calling football games.  College or NFL.  They have been play-by-play, analyst or sideline reporters.

Some of these guys (ok, many of them) I get tired from hearing them call games.  They are also getting up their in age. 

Long careers, a different game each week, but it's still the same voices, the same energy, the same tone and the same production. 

Al Michaels - 79 yrs old....
Michele Tafoya - 60
Chris Collinsworth - 65
Lisa Salters - 58
Mike Tirico - 57
Brad Nessman - 67 
Verne Lundquist - 83
Gary Danielson - 72 
Tim Brando - 68 yrs old 
Gus Johnson ("born in 67 or 68" is BS...  Dude is at least 65 yrs old)
Sean McDonough - 62
Todd Blackledge - 62
Charles Davis - 59
Jim Nantz - 65
Melissa Stark - 51

Troy Aikman - 57 & Joe Buck - 55 yrs old.  But that's your A team.  They are pretty solid year after year.

Troy and Joe are the most forgettable but fine/non-offensive commentating crew I can ever remember. Can't tell their voices apart and don't know that I could ever recall a single iconic call or moment associated with them in memory.

Michaels needs to hang it up, he's got no passion left. Collinsworth irks plenty of people the wrong way but I think that's just because they've heard him for so long and gotten tired of his specific nature - overall I think he's pretty great at what he does, it's just gotten too familiar.

• TBH 2

This is a few play-by-play announcers and analysts that I think are annoying.  Or bad.  Or awful.

Jesse Palmer and Joe Tessitore

The guy on the left is Jesse Palmer.  As an analyst he comes across as Captain Obvious. He loves to talk too much.  He gets on my nerves.

The guy on the right is Joe Tessitore. He failed at NFL and he sucks with college football too.  He does like to create drama when there isn't any.  He gets on my nerves too.

cfb23tessitore-768x432.jpg

Brock Huard sometimes has good moments, but also has some bad moments when he get's stuck on a particular team.

Beth Mowins.  I understand she's the early morning game on Big Ten for so many years.  She is very knowledgeable.  Her voice isn't good for college football or college basketball.  She makes games boring.

Booger McFarland is awful.  He has the face and the head for radio.  Get him off TV.  

• TBH 1

Mark Jones & Louis Riddick

AWFUL.  The Worst.

cfb23jones-768x393.jpg

Thoughts on Colorado?  They didn't care about them.

Thoughts on Colorado with Prime Sanders???  They are 1000% invested in them and will call every game as if it was the Colorado Buffalo Prime Network.  

Sad to see and hear these days when you want to watch a football game without bias.  

• Plus1 2
  • admo changed the title to College Football/BB & NFL TV announcers /Crews

I agree on Bilas with college hoops.  

I will also add Nantz and Rafferty.  

Nantz was doing college hoops the entire 1990s.  That was his claim to fame... 25 years ago.  He needs to go.  

You hear him calling March Madness games and it will take the wind out of the sail.  No matter who is playing, everything sounds like it's Butler vs Georgetown.  A total snooze fest. And he does it so well.  

Just like Al Michaels doing a Super Bowl a few years ago.  Why?

Rafferty can sometimes bring in a little oopmph.  But how many times do you need to hear the catch phrase "with a little kiss.. off the backboard"

Regarding hoops and March Madness in general, Ron Kellogg saw his best days as an analyst 25 years ago.  He's boring.  He sucks.  Nothing changes.

Beth Mowins doing college basketball games............ why?  

Kevin Harlan is the best in the business, IMO. I'm starting to come around to Chris Fowler as an NFL PbP guy, too; his call of KC's game winner in the SB was much better than Nantz's. 

Greg Olsen is the best color guy in the business, and it's a shame he's getting pushed out of his #1 role at Fox for Tom Brady. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

31 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Greg Olsen is the best color guy in the business, and it's a shame he's getting pushed out of his #1 role at Fox for Tom Brady. 

I agree that Brady is most likely going to be awful but Olsen is biased as f#&% and never shuts up. He's like 75-80% of the broadcast and the PBP guy misses calling plays because of it

• Plus1 2
Just now, GSG said:

I agree that Brady is most likely going to be awful but Olsen is biased as f#&% and never shuts up. He's like 75-80% of the broadcast and the PBP guy misses calling plays because of it

I think across the board the color guys today spend way too much time trying to prove they are smart, and not enough time letting the play by play guys actually call the game. The former players definitely have some great insights, but sometimes less is more and all of the color guys I can think of struggle with that. Although that's better than when the play by play guy tries to throw it over to them for analysis and they just have nothing - I feel like that happened with Matt Millen a lot. And then he'd totally take over with some rant when they were just trying to call the game.

Honestly I usually have the volume down because most of the bother me for one reason or another, but some are a lot worse than others. I can tolerate Olsen, but he definitely talks too much.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 2/13/2024 at 8:16 PM, admo said:

We have been watching college football games every Saturday, and some Thursdays too. 

But also, we watch NFL games on Sunday, Monday & Thursdays.  

If you don't like an announcer or analyst, this is the place to dump on them.

Sometimes you have just grown tired of them. 

Sometimes they get too loud emotionally.

Sometimes they create drama when there isn't drama.

Sometimes you want to watch a game and put them on mute.

Sometimes they are biased and it shows who they are "pulling for to win".

And sometimes you want something new and fresh but realize it doesn't always make it better.

Meh....I honestly don't even care who the announcers are.  

People get all worked up about this.  But, they remember nostalgically the days of announcers in the past thinking about how great they were.

Well, think about how few sets of announcers all these sports needed back then compared to now.  So, college football?  ALL of the sport maybe needed 2-3 sets of announcers?  Now, go through the very long list of announcers that do games today.  Every game is on TV....for every major conference.  That's one hell of a lot of announcers.

And people wonder why there might be some announcers that aren't as good as what we all remember back in the day?

Don't worry about who they are and what they are saying.  Watch the game and enjoy it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I think across the board the color guys today spend way too much time trying to prove they are smart, and not enough time letting the play by play guys actually call the game. The former players definitely have some great insights, but sometimes less is more and all of the color guys I can think of struggle with that. Although that's better than when the play by play guy tries to throw it over to them for analysis and they just have nothing - I feel like that happened with Matt Millen a lot. And then he'd totally take over with some rant when they were just trying to call the game.

Honestly I usually have the volume down because most of the bother me for one reason or another, but some are a lot worse than others. I can tolerate Olsen, but he definitely talks too much.

I think you nailed it. You can Google almost any color guy's name and find people that love or hate them. Seems like a lot of people like the newer guys for a while before they wear out their welcome

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, GSG said:

I get that Olsen can come off as biased (his call at the end of the Super Bowl last year annoyed me), but his enthusiasm for the game is infectious, and he does a good job breaking down what teams are doing in an easily digestible way. If he chooses to leave Fox after next year, he's going to make a lot of money. 

• Oh Yeah! 1