Fred named (co) coach of the year

10 minutes ago, GSG said:

"Co" is such horse s#!t

Agreed!  Painter getting coach of the year for coaching his team to exactly what was expected is complete BS.  Collins finishing 3rd is nearly as bad when Ben Johnson at Minnesota did a much better job than Painter and Collins.

• TBH 1

Congratulations to Fred, but completely BS. Painter had the best player in the country the past 2 years, predicted to win the Big 10, expected to be a 1 seed in big dance….so, he does exactly what was laid out…. Huskers come out of relatively nowhere, finish 3rd, make the dance for the first time in a decade, suffer NO quad 3-4 losses (which may be the most impressive stat), AND I know it has no bearing, but we won head to head! Explain the rationale, other than the Big 10 continues to screw Neb, from a schedule standpoint in most sports and officiating. I know that last sentence is petty, but Fred deserves it outright 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Painter, classy as always, just posted and was very supportive and praised Fred.

He gets it. I will not say he isn’t the BEST coach in the Big 10, because he very well may be! I like him, I just don’t think the COY should always go to the “best” coach.

8 hours ago, HANC said:

Congratulations to Fred, but completely BS. Painter had the best player in the country the past 2 years, predicted to win the Big 10, expected to be a 1 seed in big dance….so, he does exactly what was laid out…. Huskers come out of relatively nowhere, finish 3rd, make the dance for the first time in a decade, suffer NO quad 3-4 losses (which may be the most impressive stat), AND I know it has no bearing, but we won head to head! Explain the rationale, other than the Big 10 continues to screw Neb, from a schedule standpoint in most sports and officiating. I know that last sentence is petty, but Fred deserves it outright 

Painter took the 436th ranked recruit in the nation and made him the National Player of the Year. Nebraska beat up cream-puffs while Purdue played a f***ing gauntlet in non-conference. The share is perfectly earned by both.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
15 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

Painter took the 436th ranked recruit in the nation and made him the National Player of the Year. Nebraska beat up cream-puffs while Purdue played a f***ing gauntlet in non-conference. The share is perfectly earned by both.

Hoiberg - 88  Painter - 72   

16 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

Yeah, I'd really like to think Fred deserved it by himself.  And there are legitimate arguments for that.

But I can also see people saying Painter shouldn't be penalized for being a really good coach for a lot of years and having a program at the top of college basketball.  They won the conference and are a likely #1 seed in the tournament.  That's a pretty good resume for Coach of the Year.

• Plus1 1