Facility Funding Discussion

North stadium crappy too.

How about tearing down and erect an identical south update plan?  Carbon copy.

And nick-picky thing:  Remove all four mini video boards on top of stone pillars.  And then carved ....

• SW: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."
  • SE: "In Commemoration of the men of Nebraska who served and fell in the Nation's Wars."
  • NW: "Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."
  • NE: "Their Lives they held their country's trust; They kept its faith; They died its heroes."

Back to tradition view .....

3bBU4nh.png

• Plus1 2

On 3/26/2024 at 9:10 PM, gobiggergoredder said:

He really needs to read Huskerboard.  If he’s serious about winning he needs to understand we have to ditch adidas and change the music that plays in the stadium.

If Scott Frost still in charge, then change song from tunnel tunes to ....

5 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

North stadium crappy too.

How about tearing down and erect an identical south update plan?  Carbon coping.

And nick-picky thing:  Remove all four mini video boards on top of stone pillars.  And then carved ....

• SW: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."
  • SE: "In Commemoration of the men of Nebraska who served and fell in the Nation's Wars."
  • NW: "Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."
  • NE: "Their Lives they held their country's trust; They kept its faith; They died its heroes."

Back to tradition view .....

3bBU4nh.png

Just one more thing SP effed up.  They tore down the field house, should have just taken it all the way and done what they are proposing in the south.  

• TBH 1

So a stadium like Memorial, concrete construction, 100 years old. How long can you expect such a facility to last? 

How long can you maintain and upkeep such a place? 

I only ask because Kauffman Stadium in KC, supppppppppposedly has concrete issues and it is only half the age of east and west stadiums here. 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:09 AM, Micheal said:

So a stadium like Memorial, concrete construction, 100 years old. How long can you expect such a facility to last? 

How long can you maintain and upkeep such a place? 

I only ask because Kauffman Stadium in KC, supppppppppposedly has concrete issues and it is only half the age of east and west stadiums here. 

I'm no structural engineer but I would guess a good part of the answer is how well it's been maintained over the years.  Up until BB was the AD it sounds like it was fairly neglected.  Listening to Unsportsmanlike Conduct this afternoon and the guys were talking about it.  They were making some good points about fairly soon something needing to be done, especially with south.  And the longer it's delayed the more difficult and expensive the remediation will be.  One emailer who is a south stadium ticket holder said it takes 1/2 a quarter to go to the bathroom.  That's absolutely ridiculous.  Imagine if they were selling beer?

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Twinkletoes Flintstone said:

I'm no structural engineer but I would guess a good part of the answer is how well it's been maintained over the years.  Up until BB was the AD it sounds like it was fairly neglected.  Listening to Unsportsmanlike Conduct this afternoon and the guys were talking about it.  They were making some good points about fairly soon something needing to be done, especially with south.  And the longer it's delayed the more difficult and expensive the remediation will be.  One emailer who is a south stadium ticket holder said it takes 1/2 a quarter to go to the bathroom.  That's absolutely ridiculous.  Imagine if they were selling beer?

I think the vast majority of fans understand something needs done with South Stadium.  But, the big question is, can something really nice be done cheaper than what was proposed?

42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think the vast majority of fans understand something needs done with South Stadium.  But, the big question is, can something really nice be done cheaper than what was proposed?

Good question.  How much of the 450 mill was for south stadium?  I know there were a lot of other modernization things throughout east and west in that as well, and I believe with the vacated north stadium.  I just wouldn't have any idea how much that costs.  If south is 250 of the 450 then just pair it down to the south in this go round.  If its 400 of the 450 well then ok.  

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don’t live up that way and I know you have the pulse of things in a variety of areas of NE so have a question/s on funding.  

In KC, a huge mistake was made in the early 2000’s when both organizations (Chiefs and Royals) tied themselves to a renovation project instead of new build.  Fast forward 20 years and now the Royals want, and really need a downtown stadium, and the Chiefs want hundreds of millions to fix/renovate Arrowhead which is just gonna kick the can down the road a little farther when a new build would be money better spent.  Both should have been playing in new stadiums by now.   These are for profit organizations asking for public money for stadiums they will not own.  Jackson County threw good money at bad projects that only lasted 20 years.  

Not sure who actually owns Memorial Stadium, (University, city, county, state) but it’s a different case study vs professional sports.   Private donations for the stadium usually are how these things get built for colleges, but since the football team is so important to the state in terms of tax revenue, name recognition, etc…what would be wrong with a small statewide sales tax increase, or statewide car rental tax, to pay for a new build?  The money wouldn’t be going to billionaire owners which is the common objection in pro sports for these things.   The benefactor is the State University.  Would a 1/8th cent sales tax increase over 25 years or something like that be palatable to state in order to pay for a new Memorial Stadium? 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t live up that way and I know you have the pulse of things in a variety of areas of NE so have a question/s on funding.  

In KC, a huge mistake was made in the early 2000’s when both organizations (Chiefs and Royals) tied themselves to a renovation project instead of new build.  Fast forward 20 years and now the Royals want, and really need a downtown stadium, and the Chiefs want hundreds of millions to fix/renovate Arrowhead which is just gonna kick the can down the road a little farther when a new build would be money better spent.  Both should have been playing in new stadiums by now.   These are for profit organizations asking for public money for stadiums they will not own.  Jackson County threw good money at bad projects that only lasted 20 years.  

Not sure who actually owns Memorial Stadium, (University, city, county, state) but it’s a different case study vs professional sports.   Private donations for the stadium usually are how these things get built for colleges, but since the football team is so important to the state in terms of tax revenue, name recognition, etc…what would be wrong with a small statewide sales tax increase, or statewide car rental tax, to pay for a new build?  The money wouldn’t be going to billionaire owners which is the common objection in pro sports for these things.   The benefactor is the State University.  Would a 1/8th cent sales tax increase over 25 years or something like that be palatable to state in order to pay for a new Memorial Stadium? 

Good questions.

First off, the tax situation in Nebraska right now is such a hot topic right now that I think if this were to be proposed, it would make people's heads explode.  

Yes, the football team is important to the state.  However, economically, the VAST majority of it is in Lincoln.  I, personally, would have some issues with me sitting in small town central Nebraska being charged the same sales tax for the stadium as people sitting in Lincoln where the vast majority of the economic benefit is.  Maybe Lincoln needs to have an additional 1% sales tax.  I go shopping in Lincoln, so I would still be paying some of it.

On the project as a whole, I'm just not for a new build.  First off, it would need to be somewhere out away from down town.  There just isn't anywhere else to build it in that area unless you would tear down an entire neighborhood somewhere and I can't imagine where that would be.  A football stadium like this takes up a huge amount of room.  And, being right down town is part of the overall atmosphere and experience going to the game.  On the economic side, I would hate to be the owner of one of the bars or restaurants downtown and then being told they are moving the stadium somewhere else.  Those 6-7 Saturdays in the fall are what make or break some of those businesses.

Second, I just still like Memorial stadium with all it's quirks.  I'm not someone who needs to be sitting in a brand new shiny stadium to have a great time.  I also think the history in the stadium means something.  It's like Wrigley field.  It's old.  It's not as nice and shiny as some brand new ball park.  But, it has character and history and it's in a neighborhood that is a lot of fun to be in during the games.  No way in hell would they think about tearing it down and moving it.  They just went through a huge renovation of the park and I'm sure it might have cost more than a new build.  But, now, we still have the same park but upgraded.  Win win in my book.

I also want to add.  I get so friggen sick and tired of sports teams always thinking they need a new stadium and it falls on tax payers to fund it.  Then, 20 years later, Oppp....we need a new stadium and the mortgage to build the previous one isn't even paid off.

And....let's not forget, they just built a brand knew state of the art football facility right next to Memorial.  They are NOT going to now tear down Memorial and build it somewhere else.

OK, I'll end my rant now.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good questions.

First off, the tax situation in Nebraska right now is such a hot topic right now that I think if this were to be proposed, it would make people's heads explode.  

Yes, the football team is important to the state.  However, economically, the VAST majority of it is in Lincoln.  I, personally, would have some issues with me sitting in small town central Nebraska being charged the same sales tax for the stadium as people sitting in Lincoln where the vast majority of the economic benefit is.  Maybe Lincoln needs to have an additional 1% sales tax.  I go shopping in Lincoln, so I would still be paying some of it.

On the project as a whole, I'm just not for a new build.  First off, it would need to be somewhere out away from down town.  There just isn't anywhere else to build it in that area unless you would tear down an entire neighborhood somewhere and I can't imagine where that would be.  A football stadium like this takes up a huge amount of room.  And, being right down town is part of the overall atmosphere and experience going to the game.  On the economic side, I would hate to be the owner of one of the bars or restaurants downtown and then being told they are moving the stadium somewhere else.  Those 6-7 Saturdays in the fall are what make or break some of those businesses.

Second, I just still like Memorial stadium with all it's quirks.  I'm not someone who needs to be sitting in a brand new shiny stadium to have a great time.  I also think the history in the stadium means something.  It's like Wrigley field.  It's old.  It's not as nice and shiny as some brand new ball park.  But, it has character and history and it's in a neighborhood that is a lot of fun to be in during the games.  No way in hell would they think about tearing it down and moving it.  They just went through a huge renovation of the park and I'm sure it might have cost more than a new build.  But, now, we still have the same park but upgraded.  Win win in my book.

I also want to add.  I get so friggen sick and tired of sports teams always thinking they need a new stadium and it falls on tax payers to fund it.  Then, 20 years later, Oppp....we need a new stadium and the mortgage to build the previous one isn't even paid off.

And....let's not forget, they just built a brand knew state of the art football facility right next to Memorial.  They are NOT going to now tear down Memorial and build it somewhere else.

OK, I'll end my rant now.

Thanks for the feedback.  

If renovation is the best way forward, it still seems that a small sales tax alone or in conjunction with private donors is the best funding mechanism vs only private donations.

I think others have stated that private donors don’t have unlimited amounts of money and will be making choices between NIL or facility renovations.  

One other thing to mention, now that athletes are getting paid in college, is that in the professional leagues, many facilities aren’t up to top notch college facilities because the professional athletes are getting paid and money goes to them vs facilities.  College athletes may have to accept that the facility arms race may slow down (Hopefully!!) now that funds are going to them vs potential facility upgrades.  

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

One other thing to mention, now that athletes are getting paid in college, is that in the professional leagues, many facilities aren’t up to top notch college facilities because the professional athletes are getting paid and money goes to them vs facilities.  College athletes may have to accept that the facility arms race may slow down (Hopefully!!) now that funds are going to them vs potential facility upgrades.  

I have thought this for a long time.  If the players want paid like they want to get paid, then don't expect these same donors to be forking out millions so you can sit in luxurious jacuzzis watching 80" big screens while getting pedicures from underwater nail clippers.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
56 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I finally can get behind something Archy said. This is a great day!

• Haha 1

Or, one might envision a total capitulation  similar to the PGA/Liv  situation.

Or, perhaps outside entities will own and maintain stadiums in return for universities  "renting" out their names, mascots, and historical accoutroments, leaving only a facade of  the school's actual involvement., but tapping into the fan's passion and support.

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I have also thought about the sales tax aspect of this.  But maybe it's tied to Lincoln hotels and a bit heftier than 1/8 cent.  

Not to thread jack, but what do the Royals do now?  I'm surprised the ballot measure failed.  IS a KC KS burb willing to do it?

57 minutes ago, Twinkletoes Flintstone said:

I have also thought about the sales tax aspect of this.  But maybe it's tied to Lincoln hotels and a bit heftier than 1/8 cent.  

Not to thread jack, but what do the Royals do now?  I'm surprised the ballot measure failed.  IS a KC KS burb willing to do it?

I wonder if a restaurant/hotel tax in Lincoln would be the thing to happen with any public funding for the stadium. As it is those businesses that would be benefitting the most from events at Memorial? 

As a Royals fan I am concerned. I don't want them to go cray cray like the Athletics. I'm hoping they can get feedback from those opposed against the stadium, make some changes, add Crown Vision to the concepts and get a new stadium built. New stadium can be in the East Village, North Kansas City, Legends, I do not care as long as it is in the KC metro. 

I think Kauffman is beautiful as is but.