2024 Spring Practice Notes - Quarterbacks

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Look, I'm predicting 9 wins this year, so I'm as big a homer as anyone here. I'm just not completely sold yet on a true frosh QB as a pocket passer with the pieces we have around him, especially the OL. I think HH has an important role to play this season still, and as I said, that's not a popular opinion right now.

I'm interested to know what offensive pieces and guys on the OL that you're not sold on? From what I've seen we've significantly upgraded at the WR position which was our second biggest flaw on offense a season ago behind only the abysmal QB play. I get the concerns with RPO and bubble screens considering our recent history with them, but the guys we've brought in this offseason are gamechangers compared to what we've had in the past. Fidone sees a completely different picture than last year when he catches an arrow off an RPO and now turns upfield to any combination of Banks, Bonner, Neyor, Boerkircher, and Coleman (when healthy). Opposing teams have NEVER had to respect that play in the past and could comfortably cheat toward the box. Then you add in the handful of deep-threats we now have and this is a completely different offense from anything we've seen since. I'm not saying we're going to be the number one offense in the BIG, but I think you're looking at a ceiling of top 5.

And while I'm not drooling over any of our RBs I think all of them offer at least one skill that is above average. If you can't stuff the box (lol) against us, then tackling guys like Dowdell and Gabe (if he can stay healthy) becomes a tall order come fourth quarter. And Emmett has put on some good weight this offseason and is not afraid of contact either. This team doesn't need a 20+ carry back a game. We need down-hill runners that can wear down a defense in the second half, do their job in pass pro, and don't have bricks for hands. And so far I've been pleased in all of those regards. This will allow plenty of single coverage looks and I'm pretty confident in the WRs on this roster to go make some plays. I believe this is the most stacked WR room we've had in a while. 

And if you came out of that scrimmage (glorified practice) thinking anyone but DR is the guy, you either watched it blindfolded or are personally related to the other two QBs. Don't get me wrong, I think HH is a solid backup with an upside to see some QB-power around the goal line (although I'm not a fan of switching out guys down there) and I think Kaelin has a really bright future. But DR is special. There will definitely be growing pains but his skill set and intangibles are elite. Everyone talks about DR's arm talent and rightfully so, however, I've been just as impressed with his pocket presence and field vision. That stuff is so hard to teach, and the casual fan has no idea how difficult it is to go through reads while correctly sensing and reacting to the oncoming rushers. 

• Fire 3
  • Oh Yeah! 3
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I think HH has an important role to play this season still, and as I said, that's not a popular opinion right now.

This entire offense is being set up for the pocket passers and they're training Haarberg to work within that. They're not setting this offense up like last year and training the new QBs to work within that style. Everyone needs to take last year's tape and burn it. Yes, it's the same offense in the sense it's the same language and organization and so forth but that QB heavy run style that we were forced to adopt by circumstance is completely gone. You may see an occasional zone read here or there, especially if Haarberg is needed for a sustained time, but Raiola and Kaelin are just not built for that style of play.

That's why what Haarberg did this spring was so impressive. He's being asked to play in an offense built for someone else, and I think he's doing a great job. But, there's no QB controversy here. Rhule is just dipping into his psychological bag of tricks to get what he wants from these guys. He knows exactly who his starting QB is.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3

3 hours ago, MacReady said:

I'm interested to know what offensive pieces and guys on the OL that you're not sold on? From what I've seen we've significantly upgraded at the WR position which was our second biggest flaw on offense a season ago behind only the abysmal QB play. I get the concerns with RPO and bubble screens considering our recent history with them, but the guys we've brought in this offseason are gamechangers compared to what we've had in the past. Fidone sees a completely different picture than last year when he catches an arrow off an RPO and now turns upfield to any combination of Banks, Bonner, Neyor, Boerkircher, and Coleman (when healthy). Opposing teams have NEVER had to respect that play in the past and could comfortably cheat toward the box. Then you add in the handful of deep-threats we now have and this is a completely different offense from anything we've seen since. I'm not saying we're going to be the number one offense in the BIG, but I think you're looking at a ceiling of top 5.

And while I'm not drooling over any of our RBs I think all of them offer at least one skill that is above average. If you can't stuff the box (lol) against us, then tackling guys like Dowdell and Gabe (if he can stay healthy) becomes a tall order come fourth quarter. And Emmett has put on some good weight this offseason and is not afraid of contact either. This team doesn't need a 20+ carry back a game. We need down-hill runners that can wear down a defense in the second half, do their job in pass pro, and don't have bricks for hands. And so far I've been pleased in all of those regards. This will allow plenty of single coverage looks and I'm pretty confident in the WRs on this roster to go make some plays. I believe this is the most stacked WR room we've had in a while. 

And if you came out of that scrimmage (glorified practice) thinking anyone but DR is the guy, you either watched it blindfolded or are personally related to the other two QBs. Don't get me wrong, I think HH is a solid backup with an upside to see some QB-power around the goal line (although I'm not a fan of switching out guys down there) and I think Kaelin has a really bright future. But DR is special. There will definitely be growing pains but his skill set and intangibles are elite. Everyone talks about DR's arm talent and rightfully so, however, I've been just as impressed with his pocket presence and field vision. That stuff is so hard to teach, and the casual fan has no idea how difficult it is to go through reads while correctly sensing and reacting to the oncoming rushers. 

Maybe I can best sum up my point by saying: everyone has a plan until you get hit in the mouth.

Everything you're saying is theoretical until we play some decent teams. DR might look fantastic right now and then fall apart in game situations (aka Jeff Sims). Or he gets hurt and it's next man up. There's so many variables in football, it's impossible to predict.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

This entire offense is being set up for the pocket passers and they're training Haarberg to work within that. They're not setting this offense up like last year and training the new QBs to work within that style. Everyone needs to take last year's tape and burn it. Yes, it's the same offense in the sense it's the same language and organization and so forth but that QB heavy run style that we were forced to adopt by circumstance is completely gone. You may see an occasional zone read here or there, especially if Haarberg is needed for a sustained time, but Raiola and Kaelin are just not built for that style of play.

That's why what Haarberg did this spring was so impressive. He's being asked to play in an offense built for someone else, and I think he's doing a great job. But, there's no QB controversy here. Rhule is just dipping into his psychological bag of tricks to get what he wants from these guys. He knows exactly who his starting QB is.

I appreciate the perspective and don't disagree. But regardless who starts, I doubt they'll make it the whole season. It'd be awesome if they stayed healthy, but we've had 3 starting QB's for at least the last 5 seasons, maybe longer.

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I appreciate the perspective and don't disagree. But regardless who starts, I doubt they'll make it the whole season. It'd be awesome if they stayed healthy, but we've had 3 starting QB's for at least the last 5 seasons, maybe longer.

Will depend on pass protection which hopefully is better. I know DR won’t run much. And HH seems to have learned to stay in the pocket unless all his passing options aren’t open. 

27 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm with you on this. Nebraska has a lot of pieces, but it remains to be seen how Nebraska can move the football without the QB run game. Nebraska's offense for most of the last 5 years has been option football - with the exception being Casey Thompson chucking the ball to Trey Palmer.

The RBs are all serviceable but not amazing. The OL was actually a very improved unit last year but still had moments of struggling. And our WR room is largely unknown -- we didn't have the QB to throw WRs the ball to see what they can actually do. 

All of this doesn't mean that Nebraska is going to be bad on offense. But let's not act like there aren't questions to how effective they will be, particularly with Satterfield calling plays... who struggled to say the least. 

49 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Maybe I can best sum up my point by saying: everyone has a plan until you get hit in the mouth.

Everything you're saying is theoretical until we play some decent teams. DR might look fantastic right now and then fall apart in game situations (aka Jeff Sims). Or he gets hurt and it's next man up. There's so many variables in football, it's impossible to predict.

I completely agree. Everything is theoretical and football is impossible to predict. But for the sake of off-season message board banter, what do you imagine to be more likely to happen? Dylan starts next year and craps the bed so tragically that we’re all reminded of Jeff Sims, or Dylan starts and our offense takes a big step forward?