Thunderin' Bolts @ Rutgers

On 4/13/2024 at 12:02 PM, Loebarth said:

It's not pitching. Occasionally pitchers will get squeezed. It's the sticks and there's no denying it. We saw against Creighton, against Kansas, against Wichita St, Northwestern and yes, Ohio State. If the opposing pitchers throw sliders and change ups our hitters will struggle all day long. That's coaching. That shows me they put them in front of a machine rather than live hitting against off speed pitchers. Rutgers again will score 7+ runs today, Nebraska better figure out a way of matching that or they'll get swept. I said it weeks ago, Nebraska is not a regional host team at this point. Heck, if the B1G tournament started next weekend not a single person on this board would expect Nebraska to win it. I'm willing to say most wouldn't expect to see Nebraska in championship game. 

7 plus runs again huh?   not so much.

maybe they'll give us another free run because the huskers don't have either the skill or talent to hit when a hit is needed.

The huskers remain a paper tiger.. Can't hit when a hit is needed. Are lucky to get the sweep of Northwestern, were lucky to get the series win against Ohio St... can't win mid-week games and won't win the next conference series at home next weekend. They have no dependable sticks and no coach to coach the hitters. They swing at pitches feet outside or that bounce in front of the plate. They are only an average bunting team. They have to manufacture runs by getting a lead off hitter on and attempt to pressure the pitcher into walks with the run game. Problem is, even when they get a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs they still can't push the run across the plate because again "They Don't Have Any Reliable Sticks".

They don't deserve to ranked and they won't win the conference. I fully expect them to finish the conference 3rd at best. I expect Sears to win in the conference tourney and then we'll get chased. We'll get into post season play as a 3 seed when we should be a 4 seed. Sears may win and Husker nation will give excuses for not getting out of the regional. There are hitting coaches out there but Bolt refuses to address the elephant in the corner. He's a juco recruiter and his staff hasn't shown they can develop the incoming bats. Arguably it can be said the incoming hitters negatively develop under bolt and staff. Regardless, I'll continue to watch. I'll continue to root for success but I refuse to mask my frustration with 4 years of mediocrity from this staff's inability to coach hitting.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Husker Baseball 2025 said:

7 plus runs again huh?   not so much.

So you haven't watched this team? Gave up 9 to Ohio State last Sunday, most of it in the 9th inning. 7 on Sunday to Northwestern. Gave up 7 on a Sunday to South Alabama, 8 to Grand Canyon, 7 to OU. Rutgers still has time to score more here unless Sanders can do his job, but anyone who doesn't trust Nebraska’s pitching depth is hardly going out on a limb.

@SouthLincoln Husker mostly I agree with your stance on the bullpen but a large part is a result of stress caused by no run support. Friday was inexcusable, today, like most Sunday's went the way it often goes. Regardless, maybe the players will refocus and come to field with an improved enthusiasm. Time will tell. This weeks midweek and weekend series is huge for the year.

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

@SouthLincoln Husker mostly I agree with your stance on the bullpen but a large part is a result of stress caused by no run support. Friday was inexcusable, today, like most Sunday's went the way it often goes. Regardless, maybe the players will refocus and come to field with an improved enthusiasm. Time will tell. This weeks midweek and weekend series is huge for the year.

The bullpen has been blowing leads!  There was little stress when you have a 4 to 5 run lead.  The thing that are an ongoing issues is pitching from behind & the lack of control.  Twice today our def. was set up a shift & the pitcher threw a pitch to the outside & the batter pulled a grounder through the right side.