Juco QB Zach Lee

but with a 4.6 forty time, he could hop around in the pocket and be almost as mobile as Taylor. No offense to ZT, of course, he just isn't that fleet footed.

In all seriousness, I hope Lee will bounce back. It looked like he had a hell of a game going before he got hurt.

"Almost as mobile" as ZT?

Uh, ZT is not what I would call mobile.

• 2 weeks later...

His knee injury turned out to be nothing bad. He was just hurting for his final game.

I am hoping Ganz can beat him out for the 2nd spot so he'd redshirt then we would have Lee for the next 3 years starting. Witt would get pushed to only having the chance to start one year if that were to happen.

BUT everyone remember Vince Young was going to rule at Texas for antoher year then Snead would take over the reigns which would leave Colt out of a job. What happened? Colt proved he is worth something and caused the baby to transfer.

I like the sound of this. A little competition can only make the QB position stronger:

ljs

Steven M. Sipple: Lee's signing signals start of Nebraska QB battle

Thursday, Dec 21, 2006 - 12:15:28 am CST

Perhaps he’ll lead Nebraska football to the promised land.

When it comes to recruiting, especially at the quarterback position, we tend to let our imaginations run wild in these parts.

Welcome to Husker Nation, Zac Lee.

Although Nebraska’s 2006 season may have some significant drama remaining, it’s difficult to avoid thinking about 2007, when hard-throwing Sam Keller starts slinging the pigskin around the old yard on Stadium Drive.

Keller will be the Huskers’ starting quarterback, right?

“The coaches have said there’s going to be open competition for the job,” said Lee, the City College of San Francisco standout who signed a national letter of intent Wednesday, the first day of the mid-term junior college signing period.

Although the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Lee won’t step foot on Nebraska’s campus until January, when he plans to enroll in classes, we’ve already become acquainted with the kid, at least on a preliminary basis.

For instance, we know his father, Bob, played quarterback for 12 years in the NFL. We know Rivals.com rates Zac as the nation’s top juco QB prospect. We know he threw for nearly 4,000 yards and 35 touchdowns this season, with only five interceptions, while playing for a school that finished with a 10-2 record and annually produces 15 to 20 Division I-A players.

Indeed, let those Big Red recruiting imaginations run wild. Let them blow free in the stiff winter breeze, in part because of that signature Lee faxed to Nebraska’s football offices Wednesday, the one that ensured he will be traversing NU’s campus when spring practice begins in March.

That’s when we’ll see if Lee is worthy of his lofty rating. That’s when we’ll see if Lee has the stomach for the inherent pressure of playing quarterback in a pressure-packed environment that chews up and spits out those who aren’t equipped for such a duty.

Come March, we’ll learn if Lee can seriously challenge for the starting job.

Will Lee respond in the manner of Zac Taylor?

Or Harrison Beck?

An early prediction: The Spring Game will be a sellout.

This much is certain, that piece of paper Lee faxed to Lincoln on Wednesday marked a critical first step in his Nebraska career, for without spring practice under his belt, Lee could have forgotten about challenging Keller for the starting job next season.

Lee makes his intentions clear.

“Trying to win a spot is everyone’s goal when they decide to accept a scholarship,” Lee said. “Obviously, there will be a learning process, and things may take awhile. But I think the way I have to look at it is, I’m going to be the one who’s starting.”

Good luck to those well-meaning young Huskers who arrive on campus in July or August and try to earn playing time in Bill Callahan’s complex offense. By mid-August, NU is steamrolling toward the opener, and those who operate tentatively get left in the summer dust.

Jumping into this offense in August is like trying to leap aboard a freight train traveling 80 mph. You might lose a limb.

However, “Getting there in the spring, you’re not rushed to learn the system, and you’re not rushed to get acclimated to another style of life,” Lee said. “It gives you time to get used to things, and to take your time doing it.”

Lee has three seasons of playing eligibility remaining plus an available redshirt season. In other words, time’s on his side. Yet he speaks with a sense of urgency. For instance, he said, he’s eager to learn the “verbiage” of Callahan’s West Coast system.

Lee said he always has been hotly competitive. Growing up, he tried to keep pace with a brother who’s eight years older and a sister seven years his senior.

Although he put up dynamite passing numbers this season, Lee said he feels frustrated that City College of San Francisco didn’t end up as state junior college champion.

“When you’re at a place like City College, 10-2 doesn’t cut it all the time,” he said.

So, yes, he should fit nicely at Nebraska.

Lee hurt his knee Dec. 9 in the title-game loss to El Camino College. He says it is nothing serious.

“I have some doctor appointments coming up,” he said. “We’ll find out.”

In the meantime, let your imagination run wild.

“I don’t think there’s one part of my game that I don’t want to improve on,” Lee said. “I think these days, that’s how you have to look at it. Everything’s so competitive. You always have to stay a step ahead.”

Hence that fax he sent off Wednesday, a crucial first step.

• 1 month later...