Predictions: what happens if...

medphish

Hypothetical: let's say we beat missouri and colorado, win the North, lose to either OSU or A&M and go to the Big 12 championship with a 9-3 record. If we win the championship game, is it an automatic BCS berth? even with a 9-3 record hypothetically? is it a guarantee? orange bowl? any idea?

If you win the Big 12 Championship you go to the Fiesta Bowl. If you make the championship game and loose you make the Cotton Bowl. I think both bids are automatic, I know the Fiesta Bowl bid is automatic for sure no matter the record.

colorado made the big 12 championship game last year and lost and did not go to the cotton bowl. from their recent selection history, i believe the cotton bowl prefers to choose big 12 south teams. as a consequence, if the huskers are fortunate enough to get to the big 12 championship and then lose (not so fortunate) then they would probably go to the holiday bowl. of course, different scenarios to how the season ends up will determine which bowl they go to. if the huskers don't rebound against the ploughboys and the aggies they could end up in some less than desirable locale.

the cotton bowl picks the "#2 big 12 team" Most years it is the Conf game loser. But the north has been a bit down the last few years. The pecking, after the champ, order is Cotton, Holiday, Alamo. After that it gets fuzzier.

With how things are playing out, the at worst would be the alamo bowl again.

i don't think we could lose one more....if we lose one more, we'd have to beat missouri. missouri beats us, they basically win out. or missouri has to lose to oklahoma. and that's a good possiblity except that they're best player is gone for the year and OU's D had a hard time playin against Washington. showdown Nov. 4!

The Cotton Bowl rarely takes the loser of the Big 12 title game. It has only happened twice in the ten years of Big 12 play. Texas A&M in '97 and Texas in '99. A north team has never lost in the Title game and gone to the Cotton Bowl. But I will echo the sentiment going around on this thread. "One game at a time boys".

It's still a long way off till we have to worry about bowl bids but I could see the Cotton Bowl picking Neb even if we did lose the Big 12 Cham game if we make it there. It has a lot to do with filling up the stadium and we all know how Nebraska fans travel to follow the Huskers. Shouldn't be a problem selling out that game. Lets beat OKL.ST first.

GBR!!!

Hypothetical: let's say we beat missouri and colorado, win the North, lose to either OSU or A&M and go to the Big 12 championship with a 9-3 record.

In an indirect sort of way, you have alluded to the fact that the Husker's road to the B12 Championship game starts with a win over Mizzou. If we beat Mizzou, we are either in the Fiesta or Cotton bowl (depending on the results of the championship game).

MY 300th POST!