Defensive Line

Everything I have been reading about this off season has been about the linebackers and defensive backs. I'm curious who starts on the d-line especially at DE. I'd love to see Turner add some muscle and size and keep his speed. But on the other side who do we have. Potter had a good year, but after that its thin. Has anyone heard anything about any of the freshmen coming in? I'd like have a little more depth cause this is a position where we have little playing time coming back. If I remeber right, I thought Ty played some there.

At DT I like Suh and Ty coming in and playing a good chunk of the rotation. The Juco help will be much needed as our coaches like to sub a lot to keep fresh people on the field. I think thats why our DT have been doing well these past couple years.

My guess for starters are probably

DE: Potter

DT: Ty/Dixon

DT: Suh/Roark/ Barfield/Townsend

DE: Turner

Does anyone have a "scoop" or an inside opinion on how Potter is progressing or how he is projected to do?

People keep listing him as the next starter at DE, and they seem to think everything is going to be okay... I want to know what makes people feel this way.....I DO NOT DISAGREE, I am just actually interested in facts or inside info....

Outside of his "special teams" plays as a freshman, not this season, what has he done?

Remember, I am not "questioning" the fact that he will be great, I just would like an update on him.

Thanks

Something tells me Ty Steinkuhler and Joseph Townsend are going to be playing DE by the end of spring.

That leaves Dixon, Roark, Barfield and Suh to compete for DT. I'd assume Suh will earn the start on one side and the other will be decided during the spring.

Also don't forget about Crick and Yancy, they may redshirt but they will get a shot to compete here as well.

If I had to set a 2 deep right now I'd probably go

DE: Potter/Townsend

DT: Barfield/Dixon

DT: Suh/Roark

DE: Turner/Ty

having played with Potter in high school, I am very interested to see how he does this year, and I hope he does well. That being said, I am interested to see if his work ethic has improved since high school. He was not known to hang out in the weight room very much to say the least. He definitely has the potential to be good. Hopedully he'll be the next Grant Wistrom (I know, a tall order...but he does wear #98)

I am wondering what happened to Pierre Allen, Ben Martin, and Mike Smith. They have been in the system now for a year and will have a full winter and spring under their belts. Smith is a big guy who is around 6'5 I believe, the same with Allen. I believe they will get a shot as well. I do agree that I think Ty and Townsend will move to DE's and I believe I even saw Ty play there in the cotton bowl which tells me they have already moved him there. I think Crick and Yancy will get a very solid look and crossing my fingers that Jason Peters will be given a shot as well.

DE: Potter/ Townsend

DT: Suh/ Barfield/

DT: Johnson/ Dixon/ Jensen

DE: Turner/ Ty

Do the coaches have the DT and DE learn both positions or is it just the one position that they learn? The reason I ask this, is because the DT (not the Nose Tackle) and Base End have roughly the same responsibilities as in there are in two-gap responsiblity. It would seem to me that in obvious run situations, we could take out a pass rushing end and move a DT to that base end position to help us a little more with run defense. Then vice versa we could move a quicker pass rusher in to the DT position on passing downs. They would still have the same responsiblities as they would line head-up on someone and still have inside-outside gap protection.