BREAKING NEWS: Norvell interviews for OC position at UCLA

This guy isn't running from Nebraska, he is sprinting......

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_5090691

UCLA football notes: Bruins talk to Nebraska offensive coordinator

BY BRIAN DOHN, Staff Writer

Article Last Updated: 01/25/2007 11:56:57 PM PST

Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell interviewed for UCLA's vacant offensive coordinator position, sources said Thursday.

Norvell spent the past three seasons leading Nebraska's offense after a two-year stint coaching tight ends with the Oakland Raiders. The Cornhuskers were 17th in the nation in scoring (30.6 ppg) and 14th in total offense (414.6 ypg) in 2006. When Steve Axman was fired as UCLA's offensive coordinator after the 2003 season, sources said Norvell was one of the coaches Dorrell interviewed. The job eventually went to Tom Cable, who is in the mix again.

Cleveland Browns quarterbacks coach Rip Scherer and former North Carolina and Fresno State offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti also spoke with Dorrell about the position.

Cable, who spent last season with the Atlanta Falcons, has been contacted by Dorrell about a return to Westwood, sources said.

Also: Former UCLA receiver Junior Taylor will play in the inaugural Texas vs. The Nation all-star game at 7 p.m. Feb. 2 in El Paso, Texas. The game will be broadcast on CSTV. ... Ex-UCLA kicker Justin Medlock will participate in the State Farm College Football All-Star Challenge on Jan. 30 at the Orange Bowl and broadcast

Does this bother anyone else that coaches are leaving or may leave NU for the same damn position at another school? I realize that UCLA isn't a bad place to be, and I know it's a lot better than North Carolina. However, why are these guys ready to bolt to other schools to take the same job?

Now, we don't know whether Coz leaves or not for a position on the Vikings. I'm not even sure whether leaving NU as the DC to go be a linebacker coach (?) is even a lateral move. Blake already left for the same job at lowly North Carolina. Now, Norvell may be leaving for the same job at UCLA. What gives? I realize that we joined the rest of the ranks of college football when we fired FS. However, I never in my wildest dreams thoght we'd see coaching turnover this quickly and before any real success has been achieved.

I guess my real question is this: if Norvell and Coz leave, where does this leave our program for next year? If Norvell leaves, is there a possibility of Keller entering the draft? Maybe I'm just dazed and confused, but I don't see many positives from this.

I am not sure, are him and Dorrell linked? Otherwise, the job there is a lateral move at best, the only benefit being nice weather and USC leftovers for recruits. It wouldn't be a huge loss if he left, because Shawn Watson was brought in to take over eventually when Norvell left.

I am not sure, are him and Dorrell linked? Otherwise, the job there is a lateral move at best, the only benefit being nice weather and USC leftovers for recruits. It wouldn't be a huge loss if he left, because Shawn Watson was brought in to take over eventually when Norvell left.

Yep, that was exactly the plan when Watson was hired. I wonder if Norvell feels that the UCLA job will land him a HC job. I thought that was his whole plan in the first place (head coach.) <_<

If I am not mistaken isn't Blake also the Assistant Coach at North Carolina? I thought I read that somewhere. I understand that Norvell wants to be a head coach somewhere but this just doesn't look like a logical move to me. All I can think of is there must be something that no one knows about driving him to want to head to the left coast. Whatever happens I wish him the best of luck because the Big Red will roll on like it has before. Watson would be one heck of an OC, in fact if he doesnt get the position here I would be afraid he would be leaving us to take the position somewhere. He seems to be able to fill the gap that Blake left in recruiting. Lets keep him around. I say Adios Norvell, have fun getting owned by USC year in and year out (this year was THE exception, not an exception)

:bonez

P.S. Keller can't enter the draft, its too late.

How many coaches have to leave before it constitutes a 'huge loss'? How many players, for that matter?

When a replacement is not readily available, then it is a huge loss. The loss of Brandon Jackson is not huge because there is a stable of running backs behind him. The loss of John Blake was not huge because we landed a DL coach that has already showed that he is an asset. The loss of Norvell would not be huge because Watson, who is proven as an OC, is waiting in the wings. People move on, you have to be prepared for it. The staff and the team are prepared for it.

How many coaches have to leave before it constitutes a 'huge loss'? How many players, for that matter?

When a replacement is not readily available, then it is a huge loss. The loss of Brandon Jackson is not huge because there is a stable of running backs behind him. The loss of John Blake was not huge because we landed a DL coach that has already showed that he is an asset. The loss of Norvell would not be huge because Watson, who is proven as an OC, is waiting in the wings. People move on, you have to be prepared for it. The staff and the team are prepared for it.

I dunno, given the choice between Watson and Norvell I believe I'd take Norvell. I think Pedy may want to look into this and find out what it would take to keep the guy here.