BREAKING NEWS: Norvell interviews for OC position at UCLA

How many Coaches have left OU since Stoops took over? Is that a sinking ship?

Yeah, if they weren't good coaches they wouldn't be interviewed constantly for other jobs. I think this is asign of the caliber of coaching that Bill has brought in. Just ask Milt. you can't tell me he doesn't know what he's talking bout.

Great Point!!!! In fact didnt the highly regarded, on some blogs and message boards, Bo Pelini Leave? Am I wrong in thinking that it is a great thing that coaches are leaving? That can be seen two ways, one that we are a sinking ship, the way I view it (ill admit that it is optomistic) is that Nebraska is now being viewed as a good program where the coaches are doing something right and are WANTED by other schools. I mean does anyone know how Solichs next to last staff is doing now that they are gone? What about that D-Coordinator whats his name.

"There will be more in a column I'm working on for later in the weekend, but one of things a lot of people don't know about Jay is that his wife, Kim, has cystic fibrosis. That's a tough hurdle at any age but especially at 38. There are good hospitals in Nebraska, but there are more of them in L.A. And if you stay out of the city, the environment and climate is a little better for someone with that illness."

I am assuming that is Sipple, because its under jis initial report..... That is probably a very good reason to head west. So lets stop laying "sinking ship" claims, those are just rediculous. Especially when we don't actually know the reasoning behind decisions.

Honest question. Do they ever announce that someone is interviewing and then announce that the guy didn't get the job?

Just wondering. In most jobs one doesn't go public until the new job is in the bag, unless you want to potentially get fired. Coming back to work after announcing you tried to leave is generally frowned upon.

Didn't TO interview with Wisconsin (?) at one point?

Honest question. Do they ever announce that someone is interviewing and then announce that the guy didn't get the job?

Just wondering. In most jobs one doesn't go public until the new job is in the bag, unless you want to potentially get fired. Coming back to work after announcing you tried to leave is generally frowned upon.

Didn't TO interview with Wisconsin (?) at one point?

TO almost left for Colorado in the late 70's. Then after he retired from Nebraska he considered taking the Houston job when it was open.

Well it's not a lateral move, it's a promotion if he is allowed to call the plays at UCLA.

Hi I'm Jay Norvell the OC at Nebraska but I don't call the plays.

Hard to break into a head coaching job when your not a real coordinator of either the O or D.

My first year as OC here at the HS I didn't call the plays and hated being introduced as such, I would just say I was the OL coach.

I don't know if people necessarily WANT to leave, but are open to suggestion. Norvell definately wants to be a head coach, and maybe sees this as a possible jump start. Maybe UCLA would be a substantial pay increase. Maybe Norvell does not like snow? Him and Cally are close friends, the teams is pre-ranked in the top 20, we had a good season this year, and are going to land one hell of a recruiting class...NU is definately not headed in the wrong direction.

Players transfer/leave for many reasons as well. Nebraska has had many players over the years leave early for a variety of reasons. This does not worry me. It does not mean the program is going south, but just maybe the competition for playing time is getting tougher. We will have the Beck-like "play me or I will leave" attitude sometimes, and we are better off without them.

(I was actually surprised that we did not have a RB leave sooner). No worries.....GBR!!!!!

So, what you are saying is that back in the mid-90's we would have been better off without TF? I mean it was common knowledge that he went to TO his freshman year and said play me or I'm gone. I'm sure the program would have benefitted immensely especially in 2001 if Crouch would have bailed.

So what you are saying is you would give in to their ultimatums? Let them threaten you with departure, and you would give in? I am sure as a coach you would get a whole many more such ultimatums soon after. Have fun with discipline on that team. Yes, we would like to keep the great players, but not if they threaten and question the decision making of the coach. Most of the Husker players could play somewhere else, but the ones that stay, earn their spots.

Great Point!!!! In fact didnt the highly regarded, on some blogs and message boards, Bo Pelini Leave? Am I wrong in thinking that it is a great thing that coaches are leaving? That can be seen two ways, one that we are a sinking ship, the way I view it (ill admit that it is optomistic) is that Nebraska is now being viewed as a good program where the coaches are doing something right and are WANTED by other schools. I mean does anyone know how Solichs next to last staff is doing now that they are gone? What about that D-Coordinator whats his name.

U talking about Craig Bohl. He is the Head coach at North Dakota St. Been there 4 years. Turned around a program that won 2 games in 02-03 to an 8-3 season his first 2 seasons. He finished 10-1 this year with his only loss to Minnesota by 1 pt. I think a few of Solich's staff retired, several moved on with Gill to Buffalo.

USC has lost both coaches and players but I don't think anyone would say that they are a sinking ship.

USC hasn't lost 15 games in the past 3 years.

The fact that Bill Callahan has a staff that many others desire says something about the ability of the men he brought in.

Actually that is to the contrary. Most of the staff hasn't been contacted for other jobs, and the ones that have went to schools that pale in comparision to NU and its tradition.