BREAKING NEWS: Norvell interviews for OC position at UCLA

How many coaches have to leave before it constitutes a 'huge loss'? How many players, for that matter?

How many are irreplacable?

That's not the point, is it? The point is that coaches and players *want* to leave.

But, there are lots of reasons why people leave that don't necessarily suggest something is wrong in Lincoln. I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest a sinking ship, not that I would know. Have you?

How many coaches have to leave before it constitutes a 'huge loss'? How many players, for that matter?

That's not the point, is it? The point is that coaches and players *want* to leave.

But, there are lots of reasons why people leave that don't necessarily suggest something is wrong in Lincoln. I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest a sinking ship, not that I would know. Have you?

Norvell has been and will be looking for a HC job. He has made it clear that is his goal and what he wants. Coaching is all about who you know. That being said, if he can prove himself to enough people, his chances at a HC position greatly increase. Besides, some of his run, run, run, and then pass, pass, pass and the constant play calls have nothing to do with wich is sucessfull was really getting old last year. He is more worried about having a balanced play call stat then to actually win and finish off a oponent. So..... I wish him good luck no matter where he coaches (more luck her than anywhere LOL). But I think we could find a much better coach for his position. JMHO

The days of coaching staffs staying together for years at a time are over. Once a coach has success some team will come along and want them. Downing left to become a HC. Turner left to build his resume and look where he is now. Blake left for a better position it was NOT a lateral move. He is DL Coach/Assistant Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator. The last two parts of his title were the selling point. Norvell has interviewed for Head Coaching spots and a Coordinator position it’s not like he is going for QB, RB, TE or WR coach. He is building up his resume. Offensive Coordinator, where you actually have TOTAL control of the offense is NOT a lateral move from QB Coach/Co Offensive Coordinator. Don’t try to make this into more then it is. It is College Football 2007 that is it. Coaches leave schools every year for different jobs.

I don't know if people necessarily WANT to leave, but are open to suggestion. Norvell definately wants to be a head coach, and maybe sees this as a possible jump start. Maybe UCLA would be a substantial pay increase. Maybe Norvell does not like snow? Him and Cally are close friends, the teams is pre-ranked in the top 20, we had a good season this year, and are going to land one hell of a recruiting class...NU is definately not headed in the wrong direction.

Players transfer/leave for many reasons as well. Nebraska has had many players over the years leave early for a variety of reasons. This does not worry me. It does not mean the program is going south, but just maybe the competition for playing time is getting tougher. We will have the Beck-like "play me or I will leave" attitude sometimes, and we are better off without them.

(I was actually surprised that we did not have a RB leave sooner). No worries.....GBR!!!!!

I don't know if people necessarily WANT to leave, but are open to suggestion. Norvell definately wants to be a head coach, and maybe sees this as a possible jump start. Maybe UCLA would be a substantial pay increase. Maybe Norvell does not like snow? Him and Cally are close friends, the teams is pre-ranked in the top 20, we had a good season this year, and are going to land one hell of a recruiting class...NU is definately not headed in the wrong direction.

Players transfer/leave for many reasons as well. Nebraska has had many players over the years leave early for a variety of reasons. This does not worry me. It does not mean the program is going south, but just maybe the competition for playing time is getting tougher. We will have the Beck-like "play me or I will leave" attitude sometimes, and we are better off without them.

(I was actually surprised that we did not have a RB leave sooner). No worries.....GBR!!!!!

So, what you are saying is that back in the mid-90's we would have been better off without TF? I mean it was common knowledge that he went to TO his freshman year and said play me or I'm gone. I'm sure the program would have benefitted immensely especially in 2001 if Crouch would have bailed.

Uhh yeah... players and coaches leaving.

Even if he doesn't get the job the more interviews he goes through will help him get used to the process and will help him in the long run. Best of luck wherever he lands.

I hadn't really thought about it before but I'd think the fact that these guys are all on contract encourages them to interview/move. Would seem wise to keep the feelers out there and also let your current employer see that others are interested.

Even if he doesn't get the job the more interviews he goes through will help him get used to the process and will help him in the long run. Best of luck wherever he lands.

I hadn't really thought about it before but I'd think the fact that these guys are all on contract encourages them to interview/move. Would seem wise to keep the feelers out there and also let your current employer see that others are interested.

Um, what does a contract mean? Saban had a contract with the Dolphins, but it didn't keep him from jetting to Alabama. Louisville's coach signed a big long contract last year, but it didn't keep him from bolting. After a contract is signed, it becomes toilet paper to be wiped with any time the coach decides to use it.

No worries here......... IMO, Watson was brought in to eventually be the OC.....this is why BC sweetened the pot with giving hm the recruiting coord. over Blake..... BC must have felt that having Watson at OC was more important than keeping Blake, or Blake would have ben rec. coord...

Watson will do fine if need be....remember, we all had this discussion when Norvell interviewed at ISU...... It might not be that Norvell doesn't "like" NU, but it may be more than a lateral move...as many mentioned, maybe he would call plays at UCLA.... Dorrell may be on the "hot-seat" , so he may have an "in" to be next HC......

Um, what does a contract mean? Saban had a contract with the Dolphins, but it didn't keep him from jetting to Alabama. Louisville's coach signed a big long contract last year, but it didn't keep him from bolting. After a contract is signed, it becomes toilet paper to be wiped with any time the coach decides to use it.

It means that at the end of it you don't have a job. So, if someone buys out your contract and gives you a better one the old one is toilet paper. It doesn't keep them from moving, it encourages them to move rather than to wait and see if they'll get a renewal. If a guy has 2 years left and gets a 5-year offer that might look pretty good, especially if it involves more pay or position advancement.

If the above named guys broke their contracts the schools/owners could sue. Bet they didn't break their contracts.

Uhh yeah... players and coaches leaving.

USC has lost both coaches and players but I don't think anyone would say that they are a sinking ship.