Height: 6’0.5”

Weight: 185

40 time: 4.63

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: A Step Ahead: Jim Stefani's Underclassmen Football Recruiting Blog

Edison is known as a DB factory (Ricky Manning, Michigan's own Johnny Sears, Courtney Viney) and Leslie is the latest model. He has a nice frame and very good quickness. A Sophomore All-State selection in 2005. There are rumors that Michigan is in a good position with Brandon.

Odds of Becoming a Cornhusker: 10% First to offer.

• 1 month later...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=630858

Brandon Leslie, the 6-foot, 195 pound safety from Edison High School in Fresno (Calif.), has offers from Nebraska and Washington. He favors the Huskers over Notre Dame, Washington, Georgia Tech and Oregon — in that order.

“I didn’t play at all my junior season because I tore my shoulder muscle before the first game,” said Leslie. “I went to the All-American game in Texas and people were shocked I did so well. They didn’t think I’d recover so quickly. I think not playing last season maybe slowed my offers a little bit, but I’m not worried about it. I’m completely healed—better than 100 percent.

“Nebraska is number one,” he said. “They were the first to offer me my sophomore year. That means a lot. They are big-time football program with a lot of tradition. They’ve always been one of the top 20 programs in the nation.

“They have really been showing me a lot of love. Coach (Dennis) Wagner checks in with me all the time, wanting to know how my family is, how school’s going, stuff like that. I get a lot of handwritten letters from them. It’s cool because they are more personal. They care about what’s going on with me besides football.

“Notre Dame is number two,” Leslie said. “It doesn’t get much bigger than Notre Dame. They haven’t offered yet, but I have a feeling they’re about to. I’m going out to their spring game on April 4. I think they just want to see me in person, before they offer since they don’t recruit much from California.

“I talk to Coach (Rob) Ianello all the time. I just talked with him yesterday. He’s been keeping me posted on what’s going on. He told me that they really need corners and that I fit the prototype they are looking for. I got to meet him at a combine last year and we really hit it off. He’s a great coach.

“I like the support system they have at Notre Dame,” he said. “The tradition there is really cool too. I think I’d have a great opportunity there, especially since their defense had an off year last year. That doesn’t bother me—everyone has a bad year sometime.”

Leslie, who benches 250 pounds and squats 405 pounds, said that the Huskies are next on his list. “Me and J.D. Williams (defensive backs) have a great relationship. When he was at Cal he came to my school to recruit a couple of guys. That’s when I met him. We stayed in touch and got to know each other. “They offered me a month ago,” he said. “Coach (Tyrone) Willingham is a great coach too, coming from Notre Dame. I know I would have a chance to start early there because they really need backs. They’ve been showing me a lot of love too. I’m going to take an official (visit) up there in September.

“I like Georgia Tech a lot too. They’ve been recruiting me pretty hard. Coach (Chan) Gailey texts me all the time to let me know how practices are going—just giving me updates. I call him about once a week just to check in also. I just sent them some more film this week. I’m planning on taking an official there during the season sometime.

“I really like that they are in Atlanta,” he said. “There is so much to do out there. It’s like the Hollywood of the South. They are a big-time program that produces a lot of good defensive backs. It would be good experience for the next level for me. I think they’ll be offering soon too.

“My number five is Oregon. I haven’t been there, but I want to take a trip for sure, maybe in June. I talk with Coach (Gary) Campbell like once a week. I really want to go up there and check out their facilities. I heard they are really nice. “Oregon is a big-time program too and it’s in the Pac-10. I don’t really care about the conference or distance, but I’m more familiar with the west coast teams. Coach (Mike) Belotti has put together a great program that just gets better every year.”

Leslies says that academics are important to him. “Academics, the opportunity to play early and the relationship with the coaches are what I’m looking at. I want a good education and I want to go somewhere that can prepare me for the next level, whether that is football or not.

“I’m best at my ability to cover just as well as any corner, since I play safety,” he said. “I have good agility for my size and I’m fast in the open field. I need to read the field better and maybe be a little faster on my jump on the ball.”

Leslie reports a 3.3 core GPA and says he plans on taking his SAT in May or June.

• 1 month later...

Link here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ri...tory_recruiting

"Nebraska knew that I may commit early so they were making sure that they were still in it and they want me to take a trip there before I make my decision."

"The schools that are recruiting me the hardest are Georgia Tech, Nebraska and Washington."

"I want to make my college choice towards the end of summer," Leslie said. "If I don't, then I'll make it by the end of September after I take a couple of official visits."

Sounds like we have excellent chance. :bonez

• 2 weeks later...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=646332

Brandon Leslie, the 6-foot, 195 pound safety from Edison High School in Fresno, Calif., says his recruiting started picking up since attending the Nike camp at Stanford earlier this month. Air Force and Nevada has recently offered. But according to the four-star prospect, it was Notre Dame that was the most impressed with his performance.

“The Notre Dame coaches were at the camp and were really impressed with my size and they way I could move, said Leslie, who is ranked No. 53 in the West by Scout.com. “They said that I could maybe play corner for them and that an offer could be coming, which is huge because they don’t need safeties, but they do need cornerbacks. That’s why they haven’t offered yet.

“I went to their spring game last month and they told me they were really interested, but that they just had a safety commit, so they wanted to wait and watch more tape to see if I could play corner. They came out to the camp to watch me and they were happy, so I'm hoping there’s an offer soon.

“It was great at Notre Dame,” he said. “I was really impressed with their fan support. It was incredible. The fans are crazy there. All these people wanted my autograph. I couldn’t believe it! I really liked the coaches and the campus was really cool. They have a tradition that’s like nothing else. I know if I got an offer, I would definitely have to take a serious look about going there.”

Leslie, who now has seven offers, says Nebraska, Arizona, Washington, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame are still his top five, Earlier this month, he said he favored Nebraska. Now he denies a favorite and all have offered except the Irish.

“Everyone’s pretty much even right now,” Leslie said. “Nebraska was my favorite because they were the first to offer me and show me love, but a lot of schools have offered since, so I have a lot more options then I did before.

“I’m still really interested in Nebraska. I know I’m the only safety they are recruiting, which is a huge thing for me. I’m planning on taking a trip to there and Georgia Tech next month. Along with Notre Dame, I’m getting the most love from Nebraska and Georgia Tech.

“Georgia Tech has four safeties leaving this year,” Leslie said. “Coach (Chan) Gailey and Coach ‘BJ’ (Brian Jean-Mary) are great. I talk to them a lot. I know if I came in and did my job, I could see some early play time there.”

Arizona and Washington have also been courting the stand-out defender. “They both are definitely in my top five,” Leslie said. “ My best friend, Robert Golden (cornerback), just committed to Arizona and it would be cool to play with him in college. But Arizona is pretty deep at safety and I wouldn’t be able to play anytime soon.

“Washington really needs corners and I really like the coaching staff there,” he said. “Coach J.D Williams and I have known each other for a while and it would be great to play for him and Coach (Tyrone) Willingham. And I really like the Pac-10, being from California.”

Leslie says he wants to commit after his trips to Nebraska and Georgia Tech. “I don’t know if I’m going to take any official visits or not. It just depends on if I make my decision after seeing Nebraska and Georgia Tech. I think I’m going to commit by September at the latest. I really just want to get this whole recruiting business over and done with so I can focus on school and the season.”

Leslie reports a 3.3 core GPA and plans on taking the SAT in June.

• 1 month later...

says Nebraska and Georgia Tech are his favorites. His cousin is Steve Taylor and has another cousin that is a basketball recruit for NU.

with the family connection, you have got to love NU's chances.

he wants to commit by the end of august

there is an article on big red report that says he's set the date at the end of september after visiting both Nebraska and Georgia Tech, so it sounds like he'll be here for the USC game. I'd be suprised if we don't get him. I agree with you I love Nebraska's chances to

oh here's the link http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&a...d2%26c%3d654878

“It was great at Notre Dame,” he said. “I was really impressed with their fan support. It was incredible. The fans are crazy there. All these people wanted my autograph. I couldn’t believe it! I really liked the coaches and the campus was really cool. They have a tradition that’s like nothing else. I know if I got an offer, I would definitely have to take a serious look about going there.”

Nebraska and Georgia Tech may be his favorites now, but it appears that if ND offered, he'd change that in a heartbeat.

says Nebraska and Georgia Tech are his favorites. His cousin is Steve Taylor and has another cousin that is a basketball recruit for NU.

with the family connection, you have got to love NU's chances.

he wants to commit by the end of august

Which recruit is his cousin?

Toney McCray. Pretty cool he has such good family ties to Neb.