QB Blaine Gabbert

I hope Gabbert stays with us because he looks like a promising QB, but as a program we are better than a group of 4 and 5 stars and need to get by this time and improve it now.

agreed.... My biggest concern is that we lose gabbert AND lee. as long as we keep one of them I am fine.

I don't think Lee will be going anywhere...after all he already transferred here from another school so I doubt he would want to transfer and sit out another year..

I didnt realize that he couldnt transfer and play. I thought since he is redshirting, he could play somewhere right away. that is great news. I am not worried about blaine at all them. dont get me wrong... I want him here, but I dont see a huge drop off between gabbert and lee

not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know we are talking about it in the recruiting forum.

Sorry for the repost ... I should have visited the recruiting forum first. Should have known you guys would already be all over this.

to me there is a very good chance he is gone, that being said if he leaves us you are in for a dog fight to get him. I could see usc and others jumping into the ring for him

Hey, if we learned anything from the Callahan era, it's that highly-rated recruits aren't worth crap unless they are properly coached and prepared.

Give me a great coach, and I won't care where our recruiting class ends up.

Joel Mackovicka made a similar comment on 1620 the other night.

Don't get me wrong - I want the best talent possible, and I do believe that there is a direct correlation between recruiting rankings and actual results on the field.

That said, I think that BC and his staff have really undercoached some pretty good athletes over the past couple of years. If the recruiting services are right (and I'm not saying they are fool-proof), this team is not getting the most out of its talent.

So, at least for 2008, I don't care too much if we get hammered in recruiting. The talent-level is there, and it's painfully obvious that we need better coaches to get the most out of that talent.

Hey, if we learned anything from the Callahan era, it's that highly-rated recruits aren't worth crap unless they are properly coached and prepared.

Give me a great coach, and I won't care where our recruiting class ends up.

Joel Mackovicka made a similar comment on 1620 the other night.

Don't get me wrong - I want the best talent possible, and I do believe that there is a direct correlation between recruiting rankings and actual results on the field.

Except with us. We should be top 15 every year. We can't even sniff the top 25 right now.

I can understand some unrest because of the coaching situation, but the thing I will never understand for the life of me is how these players act like the coaches are the only reason they come to a school.

Tomorrow, their HS coach could decide it is time to quit or retire. Are they going to stop playing at their HS because of it? If they go to the NFL, their coach(es) could be fired at a moments notice, are they going to hold out until they find out about their situation then? Or if they go into the job world and their boss resigns or takes another job, will they quit and look elsewhere just based on that alone?

Familiarity is fine, but remember, you chose Nebraska because ONE of its qualities were the coaches.

When Gabbert, Compton and Givens were recruiting so hard for Nebraska, were they recruiting hard for the school they were about to play for, or were they doing it for the coaches?

They have to remember, they are signing to play for Nebraska and putting on a helmet with that glorious red 'N' on the side, not a picture of Callahan's face.

If the main reasons they were coming to Nebraska were for the coaches, then they were coming for the wrong reasons to begin with.

not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know we are talking about it in the recruiting forum.

Sorry for the repost ... I should have visited the recruiting forum first. Should have known you guys would already be all over this.

to me there is a very good chance he is gone, that being said if he leaves us you are in for a dog fight to get him. I could see usc and others jumping into the ring for him

True. However, insidemizzou interviewed his high school coach who informed them that Mizzou is his number one choice at this point. Word is Gabbert is bringing his friend Will Compton with him, leaving hope for Mizzou fans that it could be a two-fer.